2016-08-09 10:19 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: I hate my bike

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by GODAWGS Some suggestions in case it hasn't been mentioned already. Call Cobb saddles and discuss with them the issues you are having. They will work with you on a good saddle fit and let you exchange or refund if you don't like the saddle. Have you checked the level of your saddle? I put a book on my saddle and a small level. Position of the saddle can impact comfort of the bike. Hope you find the trick to the issue.
this is exactly the advice I gave the OP above. Tilt of the saddle can make a big difference. I use a little "level" app on my iPhone. Tilting the saddle down 5degrees can make a big difference. Too much tilt is when you find yourself sliding down. Too much tilt is bad. Saddle comfort is right fit, right shorts, right cream, right saddle and right tilt on saddle AND spending the time getting used to any changes you made. Get one of those wrong and it can make you uncomfortable.
Tilting does make a big diff, I found that for the best comfort I have my Adamo Prologue saddle tilted at 10 deg.  And no I don't slide off it!

2016-08-09 1:05 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by GODAWGS Some suggestions in case it hasn't been mentioned already. Call Cobb saddles and discuss with them the issues you are having. They will work with you on a good saddle fit and let you exchange or refund if you don't like the saddle. Have you checked the level of your saddle? I put a book on my saddle and a small level. Position of the saddle can impact comfort of the bike. Hope you find the trick to the issue.
this is exactly the advice I gave the OP above. Tilt of the saddle can make a big difference. I use a little "level" app on my iPhone. Tilting the saddle down 5degrees can make a big difference. Too much tilt is when you find yourself sliding down. Too much tilt is bad. Saddle comfort is right fit, right shorts, right cream, right saddle and right tilt on saddle AND spending the time getting used to any changes you made. Get one of those wrong and it can make you uncomfortable.
Tilting does make a big diff, I found that for the best comfort I have my Adamo Prologue saddle tilted at 10 deg.  And no I don't slide off it!

Also depends on where you measure the tilt
Often measuring at the rails will be less than seat
I measure at rails. I'd be curious at what the two values are on you serup
2016-08-10 1:15 PM
in reply to: Donto

Bismarck, ND
Originally posted by Donto

I have tried tilting the current saddle that I have on. The pain was "slightly" better but did start slipping as well. Then, it starts bothering my shoulders. Unfortunately, due to work, I have not been on the bike much in the last couple days. I do have an adamo saddle that I am going to put on. I haven't tried it on this bike, yet. I am going back to the city where I bought the bike on the 18th and either try a new saddle or do something....

I appreciate all your help. Someone said that maybe cycling just "isn't my thing". I really hope this isn't true. I know that if I can get comfortable, I would absolutely love it. Plus, I love triathlons. Biking is a pretty intregral part of triathlons.
2016-08-10 1:28 PM
in reply to: nc452010

Bismarck, ND
Originally posted by nc452010

Originally posted by brreems

I've been riding about 80 miles per week. I went with a P3 because that's what the bike shop people suggested. I did the fit on a "retul type" (I can't remember the actual name) machine. It seemed comfortable when I did the fit. But, after I got the bike set up, it was a different story.

Re-read your response above. You made it sound like you only rode 80 miles per month.

80 miles per week? Yeah.....you've had enough time in the saddle where you should be comfortable, if your fit was right.

Good luck.

Sorry for not being more clear. I figured since I said I was training for a HIM, you would know it was per week. I will try to be more clear in the future.

So, just to respond to a few of the suggestions:
I have not tried bib bike shorts. I have done some research. I was thinking of the Rokas, but also looking into Assos or Soas. Any suggestions there? If I am going to spend that kind of money, I wan to make sure I am getting what I pay for.

I do feel I would be more comfortable, at least from a saddle soreness, on a road bike. Most of my discomfort is frontal and basically goes away when I sit up on my TT bike. Maybe, I need to find a nice road bike. I won't be as fast as I could be but maybe if I actually wanted to go ride, in the long run, I would be faster.

I'm not going to give up yet. I will continue to look for saddles, either through Cobb or put the Adamo saddle on.
2016-08-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: brreems

User image

, North Carolina
I think that a nice road bike would make you faster. Just because you would ride more and enjoy it more. Even you were to get on a mountain bike and enjoy that more it would be better.

If the upright position is better for you then that's what I would do.
2016-08-10 6:17 PM
in reply to: Nick B

Dongguan, Guangdong
I have a couple of bikes. I find that if I ride either bike for long ride (50m or longer) or 2 medium rides back to back (30 to 50 mile) I get pretty sore in the saddle area. However the soreness is totally different for each bike. My MTN bike has a carbon saddle that has tendency to bruise but is comfortable other than that, and my road bike is just uncomfortable in general.

Anyway I find that having 2 different types of bikes and alternating between the 2 bikes is a huge help in allowing me to get my body more acclimated. In general I try to ride my road bike as often as I can. It use to be about 50/50 split. But after a couple of months now I ride the road bike 75% of the time. And feel much more comfortable. This does not just help with saddle soreness but also with shoulder, neck, hand soreness.....

By having the ability to switch to a totally different bike I no longer skip workouts due to pain issues. I just switch bikes. This allows my to continue to enjoy the biking and to build saddle time which has been the #1 thing in increasing my comfort in the saddle.

2016-08-10 7:01 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by brreems I've been riding about 80 miles per week. I went with a P3 because that's what the bike shop people suggested. I did the fit on a "retul type" (I can't remember the actual name) machine. It seemed comfortable when I did the fit. But, after I got the bike set up, it was a different story.
Re-read your response above. You made it sound like you only rode 80 miles per month. 80 miles per week? Yeah.....you've had enough time in the saddle where you should be comfortable, if your fit was right. Good luck.
Sorry for not being more clear. I figured since I said I was training for a HIM, you would know it was per week. I will try to be more clear in the future. So, just to respond to a few of the suggestions: I have not tried bib bike shorts. I have done some research. I was thinking of the Rokas, but also looking into Assos or Soas. Any suggestions there? If I am going to spend that kind of money, I wan to make sure I am getting what I pay for. I do feel I would be more comfortable, at least from a saddle soreness, on a road bike. Most of my discomfort is frontal and basically goes away when I sit up on my TT bike. Maybe, I need to find a nice road bike. I won't be as fast as I could be but maybe if I actually wanted to go ride, in the long run, I would be faster. I'm not going to give up yet. I will continue to look for saddles, either through Cobb or put the Adamo saddle on.

Key to help is to understand exactly what the issue is. Seems that is a front part of where you sit on your bike when you are in aero. It is pain, squished or what? Sorry to be graphic but more info means folks can help you more. Did you discuss this issue with your fitter at the fit? Have you contacted them after your fit and bike purchase for some advice? Did you buy chance go to Twin Cities for your fit?

Have you googled women race saddle fit issues? There is some good info out there. I have a place that I have blood vessel close to the surface of my skin that can get irritated when riding with a typical saddle. I need a saddle that that part of my privates don't touch a saddle. Through trial I was able to find one that works great. It is an SMP Glider saddle. I tried same saddle that was wider for a year but over time found that narrow was better.

Have you searched women saddle issues on Slowtwitch as they have a lot of top fitters that post that can be quite informative. Often fitters will help or give advice for the asking.

I would call your fitter and also Cobb and be specific with your issue to try to get some help. I understand some fitters don't want to hear specifics with women saddle issues, but they should if they fit women.

Good luck....keep searching and do the cheap options first before buying new shorts and stuff. Check your fit, check your saddle and then expand. Also posting a question on Slowtwich you may get more expert fitters chiming in to help. Do you have photo from side that shows your position or have your coordinates for your bike fit. Dan who started Slowtwitch and is innovator in the sport will often chime in to help folks if they post. He has a program to teach fitters how to fit triathltes that is leader in the field.

2016-08-10 8:08 PM
in reply to: KathyG

Bismarck, ND
Originally posted by KathyG

Originally posted by brreems I've been riding about 80 miles per week. I went with a P3 because that's what the bike shop people suggested. I did the fit on a "retul type" (I can't remember the actual name) machine. It seemed comfortable when I did the fit. But, after I got the bike set up, it was a different story.
Re-read your response above. You made it sound like you only rode 80 miles per month. 80 miles per week? Yeah.....you've had enough time in the saddle where you should be comfortable, if your fit was right. Good luck.
Sorry for not being more clear. I figured since I said I was training for a HIM, you would know it was per week. I will try to be more clear in the future. So, just to respond to a few of the suggestions: I have not tried bib bike shorts. I have done some research. I was thinking of the Rokas, but also looking into Assos or Soas. Any suggestions there? If I am going to spend that kind of money, I wan to make sure I am getting what I pay for. I do feel I would be more comfortable, at least from a saddle soreness, on a road bike. Most of my discomfort is frontal and basically goes away when I sit up on my TT bike. Maybe, I need to find a nice road bike. I won't be as fast as I could be but maybe if I actually wanted to go ride, in the long run, I would be faster. I'm not going to give up yet. I will continue to look for saddles, either through Cobb or put the Adamo saddle on.

Key to help is to understand exactly what the issue is. Seems that is a front part of where you sit on your bike when you are in aero. It is pain, squished or what? Sorry to be graphic but more info means folks can help you more. Did you discuss this issue with your fitter at the fit? Have you contacted them after your fit and bike purchase for some advice? Did you buy chance go to Twin Cities for your fit?

Have you googled women race saddle fit issues? There is some good info out there. I have a place that I have blood vessel close to the surface of my skin that can get irritated when riding with a typical saddle. I need a saddle that that part of my privates don't touch a saddle. Through trial I was able to find one that works great. It is an SMP Glider saddle. I tried same saddle that was wider for a year but over time found that narrow was better.

Have you searched women saddle issues on Slowtwitch as they have a lot of top fitters that post that can be quite informative. Often fitters will help or give advice for the asking.

I would call your fitter and also Cobb and be specific with your issue to try to get some help. I understand some fitters don't want to hear specifics with women saddle issues, but they should if they fit women.

Good luck....keep searching and do the cheap options first before buying new shorts and stuff. Check your fit, check your saddle and then expand. Also posting a question on Slowtwich you may get more expert fitters chiming in to help. Do you have photo from side that shows your position or have your coordinates for your bike fit. Dan who started Slowtwitch and is innovator in the sport will often chime in to help folks if they post. He has a program to teach fitters how to fit triathltes that is leader in the field.

Yes, I got my bike from the Twin Cities. I have been in contact with the fitter from the shop that I have been working with. I feel they are trying hard to help me settle my issues. Problem is the distance. Being 6.5 hours away is an issue.

Yes,I am having issues in the frontal area where it sits on the saddle when I am in aero. I did have some pinching on the groin area with 1 of the saddles. When I sit up, I am much more comfortable in the saddle. I have had issues with numbness in the past but with the new bike it is pressure and some pinching. Pressure basically on the labia majora and mons pubis. But, pain is mostly on the labia. Sorry, couldn't figure out a better way to describe.
2016-08-10 9:44 PM

Sarasota, Florida
I had this problem before and I read that you should be sitting with your "sit bones" you shouldn't be putting pressure on the perineum even in aero. Keep in mind I'm on a road bike but always lean forward in an aero like position, after some saddle adjustments, I think a combination of droping and tilting where you can find the optimal angle and height so you are distributing your weight more evenly while relying on your "sit bones" more. I still don't know what exactly a "sit bone" is, but I just distributed the weight more across. It cost me a slightlly less aggessive angle, but I then slid the seat slightly forward to try and compensate for that. It takes me several rides to get my saddle just how I want it. Small changes can make big impacts.
2016-08-10 10:51 PM

I've been riding about 80 miles per week. I went with a P3 because that's what the bike shop people suggested. I did the fit on a "retul type" (I can't remember the actual name) machine. It seemed comfortable when I did the fit. But, after I got the bike set up, it was a different story.

Re-read your response above. You made it sound like you only rode 80 miles per month.

80 miles per week? Yeah.....you've had enough time in the saddle where you should be comfortable, if your fit was right.

Good luck.

Sorry for not being more clear. I figured since I said I was training for a HIM, you would know it was per week. I will try to be more clear in the future.

So, just to respond to a few of the suggestions:
I have not tried bib bike shorts. I have done some research. I was thinking of the Rokas, but also looking into Assos or Soas. Any suggestions there? If I am going to spend that kind of money, I wan to make sure I am getting what I pay for.

I do feel I would be more comfortable, at least from a saddle soreness, on a road bike. Most of my discomfort is frontal and basically goes away when I sit up on my TT bike. Maybe, I need to find a nice road bike. I won't be as fast as I could be but maybe if I actually wanted to go ride, in the long run, I would be faster.

I'm not going to give up yet. I will continue to look for saddles, either through Cobb or put the Adamo saddle on.

Assos is top of the line but pricy. I like the Pearl Izumi Pro series. Many over on Slowtwitch rave about the DeSoto 400 miler. Our team kit is Hincapie and I'm digging whatever bib it is that we've got.

A good pair of bike shorts and/or bibs can make a huge difference in your comfort, but I'm not sure that'll solve all your woes. I'm not going to tell you not to get the road bike. . . but after putting up the money for a Felt and now a Cervelo. . . that's even more money to be putting out. And honestly, I don't think it'll help your overall issues, as I said before, riding on the horns puts you in a fairly similar position. Besides, once you get the road bike, you'll never ride the P3 again except for races
2016-08-11 8:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
MA

Read this thread and this one.

They talk about structure of women and how it effects saddle bike comfort.

I picked up the Bismark ND in your post as my son is stationed in Minot which he loves and we have family in Twin Cities.

This is the saddle I ride and if you notice the front angles down which I think helps with less pressure in front area when in aero. When I was trying different saddles I found a shop that had a saddle library that you could borrow them and try them out for a bit to see if they worked or not for you. Where you live that is probably a challenge. I think some on line tri stores have similar program.

Keep at this and you will get it worked out.

Edited by KathyG 2016-08-11 8:40 AM

2016-08-11 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure about the technical names and model names and such, but have you tried a saddle with a "cut away" space in front where your privates might otherwise contact the saddle? I have one of these (Adamo) and that aspect is very comfortable in aero; was less happy with some other models that didn't have that. I guess it depends on how your anatomy happens to match up with where the cutout is. I know I tried a lot of models where something was totally in the wrong place. I also wouldn't just limit yourself to "women's" models. I think mine is actually a "men's" saddle but it works for me!

Unfortunately, since increasing my bike volume/intensity quite a bit over the past year, I've been having other issues (low-grade piriformis/ sit bone pain after riding) that may or may not be connected to the saddle, probably to the tilt. May also be a strength/flexibilty issue--not sure. Different things seem to help, at least for a while, but not really resolve the problem.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hate my bike Rss Feed  

of 2