General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plan for recovering from overtraining Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-06 7:40 PM

Subject: Plan for recovering from overtraining
So I hit a bit of a wall in my HIM training. I've done two HIMs and my training for them was 12 weeks. This year I have a lighter triathlon race schedule and my HIM is my A race in October so I decided to follow a trainerroad Base-Build-Speciality half distance triathlon plan. Each phase is 8 weeks so total of 24 weeks. I'm in the 6th week of the Build phase and this week just sort of hit a wall. After a 1:30 run last Sunday I just don't seem to have recovered. I had just bad rides on the trainer which I cut all short and skipped on yesterday trying to recover. My 2 weekday runs my legs definitely felt heavy. Swims were okay but since I'm recovering from some shoulder issues so the swims have been sort of medium intensity and I've been working on my freestyle technique.

I don't feel like I should take an entire week off My plan is to shorten my bike workouts and lower the intensity of bike and run workouts this week. Swim workouts I will probably keep the same.

I will say I'm getting plenty of rest. I work from home and have no kids so I try to rest up as much as possible. It really hit me last night though when I slept 12 hours after skipping workouts yesterday.

Does this sound like a good approach?

2016-08-07 4:37 AM
in reply to: #5194265

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Plan for recovering from overtraining
I'd would not be afraid of taking two days off completely no matter how you are feeling, then the next 3 days at half workouts. Keep sleeping as many hours as your body is asking for. You should bounce back. You definately need a "mid season break" to stay fresh physically and mentally
2016-08-07 7:02 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by AdventureBear I'd would not be afraid of taking two days off completely no matter how you are feeling, then the next 3 days at half workouts. Keep sleeping as many hours as your body is asking for. You should bounce back. You definately need a "mid season break" to stay fresh physically and mentally

^ X2

Recovery is the most underappreciated part of training.  Don't worry about "losing fitness," because in a couple days you won't lose enough to matter.  Take a couple days of complete rest and "stop and smell the roses.".  You will come back stronger.

2016-08-07 11:20 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by AdventureBear I'd would not be afraid of taking two days off completely no matter how you are feeling, then the next 3 days at half workouts. Keep sleeping as many hours as your body is asking for. You should bounce back. You definately need a "mid season break" to stay fresh physically and mentally

^ X2

Recovery is the most underappreciated part of training.  Don't worry about "losing fitness," because in a couple days you won't lose enough to matter.  Take a couple days of complete rest and "stop and smell the roses.".  You will come back stronger.

x3

I have been training hard and woke up this morning feeling like I got hit by a truck. So I just slept in and am taking the day off. I have learned (the hard way unfortunately) that I need to listen to my body. When I don't is when I pull something or worse.

Relax, rest and come back tomorrow.
2016-08-07 12:16 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

Sarasota, Florida
what kind of volume contributes to overtraining? Could it be a gradual thing of mid-volume over several months or does it typically take high volume? Looking at your logs, while they are much more than anything I have ever done, I was under the impression it would take more. I'm curious too because I enjoy a Saturday brick and was wanting to start doing 25 mile/10k bricks but not sure if that could become a problem. I never had an issue doing sprint bricks but was wanting to throw in some larger ones next month.
2016-08-07 6:32 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by runtim23

what kind of volume contributes to overtraining? Could it be a gradual thing of mid-volume over several months or does it typically take high volume? Looking at your logs, while they are much more than anything I have ever done, I was under the impression it would take more. I'm curious too because I enjoy a Saturday brick and was wanting to start doing 25 mile/10k bricks but not sure if that could become a problem. I never had an issue doing sprint bricks but was wanting to throw in some larger ones next month.

It's not as simple as looking at someone's log and asking what kind of volume contributes to overtraining. It's a continuous buildup of training to the point where your body feels unready to train hard again. The more you train while overtrained, the more unmotivated you'll feel to train more because you'll constantly be feeling like crap. It's when you spend some quality time recovering where your body gains fitness.

2016-08-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by kloofyroland
Originally posted by runtim23 what kind of volume contributes to overtraining? Could it be a gradual thing of mid-volume over several months or does it typically take high volume? Looking at your logs, while they are much more than anything I have ever done, I was under the impression it would take more. I'm curious too because I enjoy a Saturday brick and was wanting to start doing 25 mile/10k bricks but not sure if that could become a problem. I never had an issue doing sprint bricks but was wanting to throw in some larger ones next month.
It's not as simple as looking at someone's log and asking what kind of volume contributes to overtraining. It's a continuous buildup of training to the point where your body feels unready to train hard again. The more you train while overtrained, the more unmotivated you'll feel to train more because you'll constantly be feeling like crap. It's when you spend some quality time recovering where your body gains fitness.

It actually goes beyond this.

It's the accumulation of ALL of the stress you encounter.  Stress at work, stress at home, and yes, stress from training.  You MUST recover from that.  If not, your body will help you decide it's time to recover.  Fortunately, few people progress to OTS, mainly because the body will shut them down, often with sickness or injury, before they get there (no, I'm not saying anyone who is sick or injured is over-trained).  Over-reaching however is more common.  Is the OP at that point?  I have no idea.  I'm certainly not saying he is suffering from OTS or even approaching functional over-reaching.  In any case, a couple days off will likely do wonders.

2016-08-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: runtim23

For me I think it's just an accumulation effect of 14 weeks of straight training and especially into the build phase where the intensity factor is higher than I've done in the past on any consistent basis. Last year when I did two HIMs my training was less interval type training or more just getting volume in each week and I only trained for 12 weeks before each HIM. So training stress is higher for me this time.
2016-08-07 7:29 PM

If you're spent/fatigued. . . I'm not sure two days off is going to get your body ready for a new block of training. I would suggest going longer, maybe a week. If you just stop for two days and start hitting it hard again. . . I think the probability of getting to this point again is much higher than if you take a full week off. A full week now shouldn't cause you issues for a race in October. . . but a full week in September if you get to this point again might.
2016-08-07 8:27 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

Originally posted by ziggie204

If you're spent/fatigued. . . I'm not sure two days off is going to get your body ready for a new block of training. I would suggest going longer, maybe a week. If you just stop for two days and start hitting it hard again. . . I think the probability of getting to this point again is much higher than if you take a full week off. A full week now shouldn't cause you issues for a race in October. . . but a full week in September if you get to this point again might.

This morning I did a light swim. All just technique drills so very low intensity. Essentially zero intensity. But Monday and Tuesday I'm taking off completely. I may do a short easy run on Wednesday. Any biking I do later in the week will be short and low intensity.
2016-08-07 11:52 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by TriTampa2

This morning I did a light swim. All just technique drills so very low intensity. Essentially zero intensity. But Monday and Tuesday I'm taking off completely. I may do a short easy run on Wednesday. Any biking I do later in the week will be short and low intensity.

Cool. Let us know how you're feeling as the week progresses forward.

2016-08-07 11:53 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by runtim23 what kind of volume contributes to overtraining? Could it be a gradual thing of mid-volume over several months or does it typically take high volume? Looking at your logs, while they are much more than anything I have ever done, I was under the impression it would take more. I'm curious too because I enjoy a Saturday brick and was wanting to start doing 25 mile/10k bricks but not sure if that could become a problem. I never had an issue doing sprint bricks but was wanting to throw in some larger ones next month.

It actually goes beyond this.

It's the accumulation of ALL of the stress you encounter.  Stress at work, stress at home, and yes, stress from training.  You MUST recover from that.  If not, your body will help you decide it's time to recover.  Fortunately, few people progress to OTS, mainly because the body will shut them down, often with sickness or injury, before they get there (no, I'm not saying anyone who is sick or injured is over-trained).  Over-reaching however is more common.  Is the OP at that point?  I have no idea.  I'm certainly not saying he is suffering from OTS or even approaching functional over-reaching.  In any case, a couple days off will likely do wonders.

I agree.
2016-08-08 9:12 AM

Originally posted by TriTampa2

Cool. Let us know how you're feeling as the week progresses forward.

Will do. Thanks.
2016-08-08 9:13 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Makes sense. When I first found out what an IM was I thought it would be unobtainable for most but then I read about the Iron Cowboy and see the amount of training many do and I started to wonder if overtraining was a myth and what I would have recognized as an emotional state of fatigue, but then some of the articles I learn it's a very real, dangerous, and debilitating phenomenon. I know my days spent in the military, the word would have been regarded as blasphemy by our superiors who liked to invent 4-14 day training Ops with only 1-2 hours a sleep a night but that kind of training was a lot different with very low intensity/high volume and a random 30-60 minutes of high intensity every 2 days or so. Of course we were also in our early 20's back then.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plan for recovering from overtraining Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Recovering from fractures from a bike crash and planning races

Started by sikhstride
Views: 801 Posts: 6

2015-05-20 5:01 PM sdalcher

Overtraining

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 1367 Posts: 10

2004-04-02 6:03 PM keepitup

Overtraining?

Started by mserms
Views: 1466 Posts: 14

2004-03-14 6:29 PM mserms

Something in the air- or overtraining???

Started by Irongirl
Views: 1210 Posts: 7

2004-02-18 5:46 PM Machiavelo

overtraining?

Started by wrybosome
Views: 1010 Posts: 7

2004-01-21 8:00 AM owie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
I am having a difficulty getting my heart rate up on my last workout. Is this a sign of overtraining?

date : January 19, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 4
What's best to eat for recovery after a hard workout? How many carbohydrates do you need? Do you need protein? What about electrolytes?
date : April 14, 2010
author : AMSSM
During the last few days I have noticed these symptoms: higher resting heart rate, increased stress and trouble sleeping. Am I overtraining?

date : July 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
The article I read said that swimmer's shoulder can result from improper stroke, overtraining and one sided breathing. Do you have any comments on this and how to prevent?
date : January 16, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
In running, when trying to increase your distance, you don't want to add more than about 10% a week to avoid injury from overtraining. Is there a similar limit with swimming?

date : October 11, 2007
comments : 1
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.
date : October 2, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 9
Poor swim technique, overtraining, unilateral breathing, overuse of training equipment all can cause swimmer's shoulder. Read how to avoid injury and strengthen your muscles.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.