Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 47s
Overall Rank = 176/443
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 23/49
Pre-race routine:

Small Coffee, Grapefruit, Banana, Water
Event warmup:

Making 2 1/2 mile walks up and down the landing craft ramp from car to transition to setup gear and bike.

Short swim warm up, got nailed by a sting ray, had to treat back at transition and then a 200 yard sprint to starting line 1 minute before my swim wave start.
Swim
  • 18m 59s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Heavy surf, LOTS of continuous waves. 3-4' Wave swells where starting at buoys and continuing in sets all the way to shore, no less then 3-4 waves crashing at any given moment from buoy line to shore. The swim out was tough for all but the fittest swimmers.

Quite a few stingray incidents, myself included, so my foot was on fire for the entire event.
What would you do differently?:

Not much else except more training time in rough ocean environment.

Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I have relatively new Zoot Ultra TT shoes and they are abit tight so I had put socks on wet feet, that slowed me down at least a minute and a half. I did not want to risk getting a bad blister during the race. Oh, I use 'rat trap' style pedals so I do not have 'clip in' shoes.

I did not ride with gloves and did not like how the salt water was making my handle bar grips slippery. But scrwing with gloves would have cost at least another minute or two.

No socks with the shoes, don't get new shoes only weeks prior to event. Other then that, T1 went very well.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 59s
  • 30 kms
  • 29.04 km/hr
Comments:

Flat and fast

Felt as though I could have pushed harder in a few areas, but overall I had a fantastic ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Already had shoes on as I have 'rat trap' pedals, so no shoe change required.

ran up 3 bike racks before realizing going wrong way, so lost a few seconds.
Run
  • 29m 55s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Run started out slowly, felt mild side stitch coming on so just basically felt like I was jogging, picked up the pace towards the end.

Left Foot was still burning from earlier stingray attack wound.

Got a gel in me sooner, and dig a little deeper for a faster pace.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around post race venue as transition was still closed due to people still being on the bike course. Found a few buddies to hang out with and cruise around and check out vendors.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Started new job, continuous high temps in the desert of over 100*F and smoke from recent wild fires all accumulated to really restrict my training.

Event comments:

I felt this was a awesome race. Its challenging and can allow someone to really excel if they put forth a good effort. In other words the reward to effort ratio is excellent.

The swim is a challenging swim, do not take this one for granted. In these warm pacific waters you do not want to spend too much time with feet on the ocean floor as there are lots of stingrays. I got nailed as did at least 6 others that I personally seen getting treated.

Last updated: 2016-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:59 | 500 yards | 03m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/443
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy "Sprint' Full
Course: Sandy Beach start. All right hand turns. 150m out, 200 across, 150 back to shore. 150-200 yard sandy beach run from ocean exit to transition timing mats
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:01:59 | 30 kms | 29.04 km/hr
Performance: Good
average 18mph
Wind: Little
Course: Closed road course with just a couple minor hills. Gently ascending to turn around and gentle decent on way back. Some light cross winds in a couple places. Road surface was lightly rough, think well used rural road surface. Overall a good fast road course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:55 | 05 kms | 05m 59s  min/km
Performance: Average
average 10 minutes per mile
Course: Flat and well paved (concrete) run around the ACU5 complex, Very cool to be able to run around all the huge landing craft and running past the massive storage and work buildings and being able to look inside and see more the landing craft.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-08-08 5:16 PM

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: Semper Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Semper Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Semper Tri Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon

Started by [email protected]
Views: 1001 Posts: 1

2015-08-04 1:05 AM [email protected]

Semper Fi 5k

Started by bswilliams1
Views: 732 Posts: 1

2012-07-01 6:39 AM bswilliams1

Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)

Started by madkat
Views: 1758 Posts: 1

2007-10-06 5:59 PM madkat

Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)

Started by kirby
Views: 1833 Posts: 5

2006-10-04 7:42 PM ejc999

Quantico Semper Fit 15K Loop Run

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 3327 Posts: 12

2006-06-13 10:32 AM Chippy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.