United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 33s
Overall Rank = 35/103
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Had a Clif bar and some water and drove over.
Event warmup:

Did a little stretching on the beach beforehand. If I'd taken the earlier shuttle bus to the start, I could have had a warm-up swim, but I took my time getting over there so lost my chance.
Swim
  • 28m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty good swim. I followed my game plan and started out long and easy and tried to pick things up from there. Unfortunately, every time I tried to pick up my stroke cadence, it felt like I was out of time with the waves - my normal easy pace kept me better coordinated with the waves so I wasn't fighting my way through the water. What was nice about starting at the back was that I spent the entire race passing people, so I was able to keep setting my sights on swimmers ahead of me and then chasing them down. The main difficulty was my sighting. They did not have many buoys so I was gauging my line by other swimmers and I kept being swept toward the shore and having to readjust. The sighting was not so difficult as it was during the Jersey Shore tri, but it still caused me more trouble than it ever does at the lake.
What would you do differently?:

Since I'd never done this before and assumed there were some good swimmers out there, I hung back at the start and got into the water with the back of the pack, then worked my way up. My goal was to take it easy and see what I can do. I think, though, that next time I'll go out further in front, because I got caught in quite a bit of traffic at the back of the pack that I had to fight my way out of for the first several minutes (including getting sandwiched twice as we went around the buoy).
Post race
Warm down:

Sat around a little while watching the other finishers, then went to brunch. Didn't stay for post-race stuff because I was unsure what, if anything, would be happening, and where it would be. Could have asked someone, but didn't care too much since I only knew one other person there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience in the ocean, and trouble keeping a straight course.

Event comments:

Nice, casual little ocean swim. This is the first one I've done, so I have nothing to compare it to. Especially since it was my first time, I would have liked a little more information about what was going on. Other than a pre-race description of the course, there was no info.

Last updated: 2016-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 35/103
Performance: Good
Suit: thin strap Speedo
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-08-08 7:45 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Andy Rooney Ocean Mile Swim
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Andy Rooney Ocean Mile Swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ocean City NJ 1 mile ocean swim

Started by fishnrich
Views: 1401 Posts: 2

2006-07-31 1:10 PM la_guerita

Publix Family Fitness Ocean Mile Swim

Started by snikpos
Views: 1431 Posts: 8

2006-05-22 9:28 AM sue7013

Clearwater Beach Patrol Ocean Mile Swim Srs #1

Started by Lucy
Views: 1720 Posts: 6

2006-05-17 10:14 AM GatorGirl22

La Jolla Tour of Buoys (5 mile Ocean Swim)

Started by MikeB
Views: 1345 Posts: 10

2005-08-14 8:22 AM renegadebuddhacoach

Delray Beach Ocean Mile Swim

Started by snikpos
Views: 1680 Posts: 1

2004-01-05 12:28 AM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.

date : May 6, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on increasing your swim pace, free golf, bilateral breathing, paddle or fin usage, to kick or not to kick, dizziness, ocean swims and sighting.
date : July 9, 2007
author : roach
I got battered by the ocean in the swim but I had made it out...bruised and bloodied, but not beaten.

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.