General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breakfast drink for race day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-09 7:58 AM

Subject: Breakfast drink for race day
I'm looking for suggestions for a breakfast drink for race day. I'm not a big breakfast guy to begin with, and it's especially worse on race day with jitters and getting up earlier than normal. I'd like a drink loaded with everything to take the place of solid food. I'm certain my lack of breakfast was what sunk me at the end of my HIM earlier this year.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2016-08-09 8:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Breakfast drink for race day

Ensure

...and coffee

Edited by JohnnyKay 2016-08-09 8:09 AM
2016-08-09 9:25 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Ensure

...and coffee

Similar, but different, you can go with Boost.....and tea. Not quite as hardcore.
2016-08-09 10:03 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Ensure

...and coffee

Similar, but different, you can go with Boost.....and tea. Not quite as hardcore.
Another vote for Boost as it now comes in a concentrated drink that gives you all the nutrition in 4 oz instead of 8 oz.  I drank 4 of these along with a bagel and a pudding cup before last month's IM and for the first time did not fee overly full.  Tasty too.

2016-08-09 10:03 AM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

I normally don't eat a big breakfast and in fact can distracted and skip breakfast altogether on a normal day.  On a race day I make sure I fuel up with something solid.  usually a bagel on the drive there or at home if up early enough.  A banana at the race.  Everybody is probably different.  I just seem to perform better with solid food in me on race day.  I sometimes make smoothies for post morning workout to get something in me.  Not sure that would be enough for a HIM but you could try that in training. 

2016-08-09 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I did a HIM, Saturday. I want to try the Ensure for future races (it's loaded with calories) and I had it for this race.......I just hadn't practiced with it, enough.

I got up at 3:00 and ate a bagel with peanut butter on it and went back to bed. I ate a banana when I got back up....and 2 cups of coffee. I had a gel, before my swim start.

From there, I worked my fueling plan. Worked just fine.

2016-08-09 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
i like oatmeal. if you want to drink it, you can. just put some dry oatmeal in a glass of water and let it sit overnight.
oh, and coffee.
and a banana closer to the race.

2016-08-09 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by linkslefty I'm looking for suggestions for a breakfast drink for race day. I'm not a big breakfast guy to begin with, and it's especially worse on race day with jitters and getting up earlier than normal. I'd like a drink loaded with everything to take the place of solid food. I'm certain my lack of breakfast was what sunk me at the end of my HIM earlier this year. Any suggestions are appreciated.

How about nothing?  If you aren't a big breakfast person why take anything?  

I am on a high carb diet and don't take anything for 4 hour before a race, so those early morning races usually mean that my last food is the evening before.  I only do a light meal in the evening, but do a big lunch (with lots of carbs) the day before.  If you are eating right and taper for an event you won't need anything on race morning but something to calm your jitters.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-08-09 1:38 PM
2016-08-09 8:14 PM
in reply to: #5194536

User image

, North Carolina
Ensure for me.

Or

Oatmeal & a banana.

Coffee if I have time to clear the pipes

2016-08-10 8:08 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I love me some muesli w/ fresh fruit! Thats probably a little much for you since you don't like eating in the mornings though. Basically put milk, oats, fruit, nuts, and whatever else you like in a bowl in the fridge and let it sit overnight. I like mine nice and milky so its not too thick.
2016-08-10 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by linkslefty I'm looking for suggestions for a breakfast drink for race day. I'm not a big breakfast guy to begin with, and it's especially worse on race day with jitters and getting up earlier than normal. I'd like a drink loaded with everything to take the place of solid food. I'm certain my lack of breakfast was what sunk me at the end of my HIM earlier this year. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You've heard some good options here, but something I didn't see mentioned that can make or break a race is whatever you think you want to eat before races, eat the same thing before long training days in the weeks leading up to the race.  That's an important part of practicing fueling and hydration strategies to minimize the chances of having GI issues on race day.

2016-08-11 1:22 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
I would think it depends on your race distance??

Since I would usually be eating 2-3 hours prior to race start, I always eat a big breakfast so not sure I can be of much help.

If you're wanting something to take the place of solid food, make yourself a big ol smoothie. Load it will all kinds of good things and then you get to drink it!
2016-08-12 5:44 PM
in reply to: jjupiter100

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jjupiter100 I would think it depends on your race distance?? Since I would usually be eating 2-3 hours prior to race start, I always eat a big breakfast so not sure I can be of much help. If you're wanting something to take the place of solid food, make yourself a big ol smoothie. Load it will all kinds of good things and then you get to drink it!

Generally, no, race distance shouldn't affect what most people eat for breakfast.  The point of eating 2-3 hours before the race is because in that time the food has emptied out of your stomach, and entered the intestines.  At that point, you're still absorbing the nutrition from it, but because it's no longer in your stomach, it's not going to slosh around and cause you GI issues.

2016-08-12 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
I've always done pretty well with drinking a bottom of hammer perpetuem about 2 hours before a race. Usually the only thing I'll consume before a sprint race as well.

270 calories, 7 grams of protein & 54 grams of carbs. Bottle of this, with a couple of electrolytes and I'm good to go!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breakfast drink for race day Rss Feed