KC Running Company
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 08m 8s
Overall Rank = 7/70
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a big late lunch and no dinner. Kara gave me and Pete a ride to the race got there right at 6:30 for packet pickup.
Event warmup:

Packet said heat 4 so ran a mile or so during the second heat with a few strides aiming at race pace. Turns out it was men's heat 4, that is heat 10 of the night, thus spent a long time waiting in the sun. Eventually the sun went down and they consolidated the 4 men's heats into 2.
Run
  • 08m 8s
  • 1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My race plan for this year was to back off slightly on the running pace and aim for 5:30 while slightly improving the drinking pace. Last year was roughly 5:00 running and 1:30 drinking.

A compounding factor was a recently crowned tooth that is cold sensitive.

Execution: once we were corralled up for the start and given our beers I spent the time until start rubbing the can on my belly trying to cool myself off and warm up the beer, this might have helped a teeny bit. Regardless, 5s into the race I got a drowning sensation from waterboarding myself with the beer, similar to my first triathlon swim. First run leg went well, 2nd beer hurt. 2nd run leg I was busy trying to belch when I v'urped instead, managed to choke everything back down but dang this was off to a bad start, there was a foam fest going on in my stomach. 3rd leg was similar minus the v'urping, started to notice that I was going back and forth on each leg with a couple guys who were outdrinking me but I was outrunning them. Last beer was miserable, Pete passed me and I sucked it down and took off to catch up on the run.
What would you do differently?:

obviously need to work on my drinking, the run was executed per plan.
Post race
Warm down:

ate some food, about 5 maybe 6 awesome sandwiches

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat and the beer, many others had similar problems with beer foam. I think Budweiser would have been a much faster choice. 1 poor dude in the heat before me chucked some of his 3rd beer out of his nose, looked really painful, he withdrew after that.

Event comments:

Event organization: they need to find a way to get this event moving, fewer heats, time limit, 2 heats at once, something.

Next year I'm going relay: 1 beer & 400m.

And I won a pink visor in the raffle.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-08-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:08:08 | 01 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/70
Performance:
beer 1: 12.8, quarter 1: 1:19.7 beer 2: 34.8, quarter 2: 1:26.1 beer 3: 49.8, quarter 3: 1:28.5 beer 4: 60.3, quarter 4: 1:16.6 Total time drinking: 2:38 Total time running: 5:31
Course: out and back twice. slightly downhill on out, slightly uphill on back Beer of the day was City Saison Ale, 6.4% alcohol, ice cold, in cans
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-08-12 9:40 AM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Martin City Beer Mile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Martin City Beer Mile Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Martin City Beer Mile

Started by mikec123
Views: 897 Posts: 2

2015-07-07 11:35 PM Barkeep

Terrapin Beer 5k Plus One More Mile

Started by karen26.2
Views: 973 Posts: 1

2009-04-18 8:23 PM karen26.2

Terrapin Beer 5k Plus One More Mile

Started by porcelina23
Views: 833 Posts: 1

2009-04-18 5:12 PM porcelina23

Ocean City NJ 1 mile ocean swim

Started by fishnrich
Views: 1401 Posts: 2

2006-07-31 1:10 PM la_guerita

All-America City 10K and 2 Mile Run/Walk

Started by nuke_angel
Views: 1398 Posts: 6

2006-02-07 10:15 AM oliveview
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.