Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-14 8:54 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: 8.14.16 Salty Sunday

Good morning BT!

5:30am:  :40 minute run

6:15am:  45  minutes lower body strength/core stuff

For those of you into land speed records, I'm sure you've heard of the Bonneville Salt Flats--they are about 5 miles east of the town I live in.  Yesterday Speed Week kicked off--it was cancelled for the last two years due to poor conditions on the salt.  Racers converge on our little town from all over the world.  Anyhow, my cross country team and I work with a neighbor spraying salt off the cars before they leave the salt flats.  Long days out in the sun, but meeting people and seeing all these cool cars (and earning moola) make it pretty fun.  We'll be out there for the next 4 days.

My team and I had a blast in Park City yesterday!  I thought this photo was funny...Where's the Coach? Lol!

(IMG_6716.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_6716.JPG (45KB - 2 downloads)

2016-08-14 10:20 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Subject: RE: 8.14.16 Salty Sunday
That's a pretty neat way to raise some money. You certainly have a lot of interesting activities to fill your time.

This morning I did a 12.5 mile bike ride. I've been working a bit of overtime, so the training took a back seat the past few weeks. It felt good to get back in the saddle (pun intended )

My daughter is starting cross country practice tomorrow. Depending on what time the practices are, I may ride or run behind them. I heard of someone doing that once...

Have a great weekend,

J White
2016-08-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

What a weekend! I need to pack and catch a flight to Louisville so this will be short.

Nationals was fun. I am not good enough to compete for a world slot but I gave it everything. I qualified in only my second triathlon from last summer and thought I may never qualify again so I went. I could drive from OK which made the trip affordable. Everyone was nice and the athletes pushed each other. All the athletes would high 5 each other before their race. That was a great idea for whoever thought of it.

There were 2,340 athletes for the Olympic distance. The waves started at 7:45 and went until 10. There was only one entrance to the site so traffic was a nightmare and the race was delayed for everyone to make the race.

The swim felt good but was slow with 2:01 per 100. My sighting was off. As the group before your wave was called to enter the water to star their race your group was able to go out and swim on the other side of the dock to warm up. When your wave was called you jumped in the water and put your hand on the dock. They played heart beats which was strange to listen to but some what appropriate before the horn went off for your wave. Our hearts were pounding waiting for the horn to signal the start of the race. I felt good swimming but must have swam off course. I swam 32 minutes.

The distance for the transitions were long. Once we had our bike I bet we ran 200 to 250 yards before we could mount the bike. I thought the bike course was tough. There were two big hills with one hill a 12.5% grade for half a mile and then a 6% grade for the rest of the hill. Some people had to stop. I looked down at one point and was only going 5.4 MPH. I wondered at what point I might tip over. When I came down the hill I hit 37 MPH which is by far my fastest speed and I was tapping the brakes to slow myself down. I was impressed by some of the racers and the speed they carried downhill. No one wrecked and that was good. I rode 17.5 MPH for an average which for me is very good. I am a poor cyclist. The speed that others blew by me was impressive. Many riders were pushing much higher gears at a faster cadence. The top 25 racers in my age group averaged over 23 MPH. I can't come close to that speed

The transition to run was long as we had the same long run back with our bike. The hills took it out of me. The run was good for four miles but I started to cramp at mile 5. I didn't stop and kept going but my speed slowed and I was running around 10:15 the last two miles. The turnaround was great as we got to run inside TD Ameritrade where they play the college world series. We ran along the out field warning track and in front of the dugouts. They put the runners on the jumbo tron and there were some crowds in the stands. I told the ground crew if they would turn on the water I would play Bull Durham and slide home. The ground crew laughed and said it was a good idea. I also took time on the way back to jump in a dance line with some cheer leaders and they gave me a cheer as I ran off. The heat was up the last few miles. I felt for the waves that started at 9:30 or 10. I was fortunate and went off at 8:20. The 20 to 29 years olds that passed me on the run were flying.

I was a good Samaritan. There was a female athlete helping a 17 year old racer who bonked and we helped to carry him the last 200 yards so he could finish. The crowd helped and was throwing us water bottles so we could cool him off. The medics grabbed him the last 10 yards. They took over the finish line so he could complete the race.

I ran a 3:10. The winner was 2:09 in my age group. I was wanting to hit 3:00 but just ran out gas for the run. I was 87 out of 115 for my age group.
I was hoping to be faster but I did not get in the training due to work so I can't complain.

My wife said there were 3young athletes who were taken away by ambulance due to the heat and they didn't shut it down in time

Our SWAG included a nice hat and t-shirt.

I will work on a race report when I get back from my trip.

Garmin had good deals on their watches and Bonnie )wife) bought me the 920 XT to commemorate the occasion. That watch is great and I played with it the whole way home. The watch will do everything. I bet it can make your coffee in the morning and put your creamer in to too!!!

I hope everyone had a fun weekend.

Edited by Lake21 2016-08-14 1:23 PM
2016-08-14 4:48 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas
My training is all off this weekend due to some activities at church. Yesterday, rode 30 miles at 4:00pm. Today, ran an hour at about 2:30pm. Didn't eat well today, and even though it is "cool" (90), my HR jumped. Ended up walking a decent amount to try and keep it down. Lake, glad you had fun at nationals and that you helped a competitor. That's emblematic of endurance sport. Well done.
2016-08-14 6:51 PM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Salty indeed, but all from my own sweat! 3:15 trainer ride while watching Olympics on TV (finally, some track coverage!). Then 25 minute brick run. Just unbelievably sweaty--I swear there were WAVES in the sweat pool on the floor!
2016-08-14 8:10 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Another rest day for me. Woke up at 8:30am (yikes) and just trying to get things ready for the week.

Getting my son ready for his first Cross Country practice tomorrow (yay) so I took him to a legit running store to get some good shoes! Then to Dicks sporting goods to get some shorts, socks and a gym bag. Kinda fun taking him out in this next stage of his sports career! Can't wait to hear how it goes. I have to drop him off at 5:15am before heading out to teach a 6 am and 7am class.

2016-08-15 9:18 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Very very cool that you get to be part of the Bonneville salt flat races! You had me looking it up this morning and seeing all those incredible cars (can you even call them cars?) The Challenger 2 that just broke the record looks amazing!
Lake, thanks for the writeup on your race, sounds like  you had a good day!

2 mile run for me and 1000m in the pool. It had been raining but the pool was still open. I had it all to myself

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 8.14.16 Salty Sunday Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sunday bl@@$y Sunday 18.10.15

Started by Shakeybear
Views: 713 Posts: 8

2015-10-18 9:47 PM randym95

8.9.15 Sunday Sunday Sunday!

Started by trijamie
Views: 766 Posts: 7

2015-08-09 11:02 PM popsracer

07/07/13 Sunday Sunday

Started by Iowaman
Views: 752 Posts: 6

2013-07-08 1:46 PM Hot Runner

8.29.11 Sunday Sunday Sunday!

Started by djastroman
Views: 1381 Posts: 16

2011-08-29 4:53 AM mmakaryk

8.29.11 Sunday Sunday Sunday!

Started by djastroman
Views: 633 Posts: 1

2011-08-28 10:02 AM djastroman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 25, 2014
author : NickSuffredin
comments : 1
What should you do if you train in hot weather and you sweat a lot? Do you drink more water, more sports drink...what about electrolyte supplements? Use this guide to enhance your training.