General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning as it relates to triathlon training specificity Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-15 9:39 AM

User image

New user

Edmonton, Alberta
Subject: Spinning as it relates to triathlon training specificity
Since my triathlon geometry bike ensures I use muscles which help avoid cramping on the run, I am wondering if it makes sense to join spin classes which are not using triathlon geometry during different parts of the year?

2016-08-15 9:45 AM
in reply to: rolandhz

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Spinning as it relates to triathlon training specificity

Your first statement is false and not a reason to avoid spin classes.

While you are correct that being on your specific bike will yield the most benefits, turning the pedals around on a spin bike is mostly the same as turning them around on any other bike.  If spinning keeps you engaged, biking more, or biking harder, then it will be a good use of your training time.  It is not necessary, but need not be avoided--especially during parts of the year when you are not racing on your bike.

2016-08-15 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

It's a common misconception that tri bikes utilize muscles to save your legs for the run.  What a tri bike really does is put you in a more aerodynamic position allowing you to bike faster with a smaller "cost".

The primary performance limiter for the average age group triathlete is their aerobic energy pathways.  Generally speaking, any exercise that increases your aerobic capacity can contribute to better racing performance, but that doesn't mean that doing something completely unrelated to s/b/r will benefit you as much as doing s/b/r.

Periodization is the concept that training progresses from general to specific, so spin classes are more appropriate further out before your race, and actually riding your tri bike outside will be more beneficial closer to the race date.  Spin classes can provide a fun and inspirational environment to achieve some higher intensities for longer intervals than you could on your trainer alone at home.

That's kind of a long winded answer to say "yes, spin classes can be a valuable part of your annual training program, but not as a direct replacement for race-specific cycling."

2016-08-15 4:02 PM

User image

And their ^^ unspoken conclusion is that it's not the muscles you are using on the bike that cause cramps on the run, it's how you use (or, in the case of cramping, overuse) them on the bike.  

2016-08-15 4:12 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Spin away and have fun!
2016-08-16 5:51 PM

User image

This is an excellent question. I will happily share what I know.

I did limited spinning before I took up triathlon. Then I took up triathlon and in my spinning classes I would wonder how in the world can I ride 80 miles but halfway through this class I'm toasted while susie-q-perfect pony tail over there is smiling and pedaling away like a crazy woman.

The class and instructor matter. If you take a spin class from a cyclist it is very different than if you take a spin class from a spinning instructor who is trying to convince a room of suburban moms that they are burning 800 calories in an hour. There is no need or advantage to road cycling (that I know of) to all those stand up sit down things that they fill a lot of spinning classes with.

That being said - watts are watts and whatever you do to get stronger on a bike is going to improve your bike split. Therefore if you do not have the ability to train on your bike on the road or on a smart trainer or a regular trainer then there is going to be some benefit to being in a spin class.

I actually don't think that the fact that it isn't a tri bike is an issue at all. But there is a definite benefit that comes from training on your actual bike. As an aside there was a triathlon coach in my town who worked as a spin instructor. All his rides except the long ride were done on a spin bike. I don't remember how many classes he taught but he creamed me in every race we did together. He could just power through the bike. So there's that anecdotal endorsement for whatever it is worth.

2016-08-16 7:03 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by miamiamy
*The class and instructor matter.

*But there is a definite benefit that comes from training on your actual bike.

These two points are spot on.

The gym where I work out has a lot of instructors. I will take a class with only two, and generally just one. The one is a former pro rider. An hour with him is as good as any hour I ride all week. The second one knows how to build a good hour workout and if you put the work in, it is time well spent. The rest of the classes I might aw well work out on my own. Don't get me wrong, they serve their audience well, just not the experienced rider trying to up their game.

I put a fair amount of time in the saddle indoors for a variety of reasons. But I always get out on the road once or twice a week for several hours. That's the only way to really get the feel for your bike. When I switched to a tri bike I was sure I would never feel comfortable on it. Now I love, save for some descents where the bike is faster than my skill set.

If spin classes will get you more time in the saddle then do it. Check out all the instructors that are available to you. One class will tell you all you need to know.
2016-08-16 7:59 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Stuartap
Originally posted by miamiamy *The class and instructor matter. *But there is a definite benefit that comes from training on your actual bike.
These two points are spot on. The gym where I work out has a lot of instructors. I will take a class with only two, and generally just one. The one is a former pro rider. An hour with him is as good as any hour I ride all week. The second one knows how to build a good hour workout and if you put the work in, it is time well spent. The rest of the classes I might aw well work out on my own. Don't get me wrong, they serve their audience well, just not the experienced rider trying to up their game. I put a fair amount of time in the saddle indoors for a variety of reasons. But I always get out on the road once or twice a week for several hours. That's the only way to really get the feel for your bike. When I switched to a tri bike I was sure I would never feel comfortable on it. Now I love, save for some descents where the bike is faster than my skill set. If spin classes will get you more time in the saddle then do it. Check out all the instructors that are available to you. One class will tell you all you need to know.

Rode the spin bikes this past winter with Sufferfest as my master and did make some gains. Technically gained back with the loss due to injury recovery time, but still. Work hard and they can do some good.

2016-08-17 10:20 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Take a couple of measurements:
Seat height to bottom bracket, seat tube angle (or saddle to stem), bar height, stem length, ect. Most spin bikes are very adjustable. If you can replicate your tri bike, I would think it would be a great training tool. However, if you are misfit on the spin bike, you could hurt yourself, so be careful.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning as it relates to triathlon training specificity Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Specificity Pages: 1 2

Started by FranzZemen
Views: 2225 Posts: 28

2013-02-11 9:27 AM JohnnyKay

Specificity and Training

Started by Toolish
Views: 688 Posts: 5

2012-02-14 10:43 PM indianacyclist

HIM Training advice. Bike related

Started by qrkid
Views: 691 Posts: 7

2010-07-16 11:35 AM qrkid

Specificity of Training and Strength Training

Started by MTBonker
Views: 1412 Posts: 7

2005-11-29 9:22 AM stormjen

Spin, Spin, Spin.

Started by Freenthec
Views: 1227 Posts: 9

2005-03-09 8:12 PM qtownmom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Exercise is medicine. Given that two-thirds of Americans are either overweight or obese, we need to figure out how to turn this ship around.

date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.
date : February 9, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Many athletes face the challenge of putting in quality bike time during the winter. Spin classes are a popular way to meet this challenge. Spin classes can easily be worked into your own schedule.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 4
How important is it to train on the actual road vs. treadmill and on a real bike vs. spinning classes?
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I don’t currently have a bike, or the funds to acquire one. I have recently gotten into spinning. Is this a good way to train for the biking portion until I can get a real bike?

date : December 27, 2004
author : Don Magie
Introduction to our new cycling writer, Don Magie.
date : December 14, 2004
author : Don Magie
Known for its brutal cadences, nasty sprints and 12-minute hills, the spin class seems to be the perfect substitute for a raunchy ride outside. But is it?