Run In Texas
93F / 34C
Precipitation
Total Time = 26m 49s
Overall Rank = 15/157
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

It's a night race. I rode 40 miles in the morning around the island. Probably not the best thing to do but this was for fun. It was only 5k. Ate some pasta for lunch and then relaxed until the start. My daughter was running as well so we hung out.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Got there early and checked things out.
Run
  • 26m 49s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 22s  min/km
Comments:

The first part of the run is very deep sand until you get to the hard packed sand near the water. It's at night so it's hard to see what's coming up on you. I almost fell over a few sand castles and it was hard to see the dips in the sand from the tide.The headlamp was ok but it was just hard to see out there.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much. I got passed by the third place guy at the very end. I was going to have to pass him back in the really deep stuff and just couldn't get there. I lost third by 3 seconds. He timed it well so kudos to him. My time was really good. I would have won the 40-49 age group. Considering the 40 miles on the bike earlier in the day, my legs responded well.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited on my daughter. She won the 20-29 age group. They had free beer so we drank a few of those and waited on awards. It rained the whole race. Right after the storm blew in big time and it was a real mess.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

The only aid station was at the turnaround. It was manned by two people who didn't really know how to work an aid station. They tried hard and not their fault. Could have used one aid station about halfway to the turnaround. Interesting run at dark. That was cool.

Last updated: 2016-08-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:49 | 05 kms | 05m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 15/157
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back from the Apfel park pavilion.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-08-15 6:12 PM

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas
Subject: Galveston Sand Crab 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galveston Sand Crab 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Casey's Crab Laurel 5K Turkey Trot

Started by UNCI
Views: 1103 Posts: 1

2009-04-25 4:22 PM UNCI

Started by fenway
Views: 1166 Posts: 1

2008-11-27 10:35 AM fenway

Started by boyddr
Views: 1319 Posts: 2

2008-11-01 6:25 PM boyddr

Started by vball03umd
Views: 1260 Posts: 1

2007-11-27 3:27 PM vball03umd

Laurel 5K Casey's Crab Turkey Trot

Started by boyddr
Views: 684 Posts: 1

2006-11-23 2:04 PM boyddr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 0
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.