Trivium Racing
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 43s
Overall Rank = 51/179
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Had a fairly light breakfast (protein bar) and caffeine and went about setting up my transition area.
Event warmup:

After getting my gear all set up, I did some light stretching to loosen up the arms and legs and then did a short practice swim, just to get comfy in the water.
Swim
  • 12m 47s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since I haven't done any swimming since NOLA 70.3, I wasn't entirely sure what my swim would look like. However, other work I've been doing seemed to keep me in good shape. Once I got the first 150 under my belt, the swimming was very smooth.

The start was very congested and it took at least 150 meters for me to break away from the pack and find a clear swimming lane.
What would you do differently?:

I really need to find the time to put swimming back into my normal exercise routine!
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

One of these days, I am going to try and practice putting my shoes on the bike. Until then, I don't think I'll ever get faster in transition

nothing
Bike
  • 37m 35s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

To make a good sprint course, the bike should have some challenge to it (hills, turns, etc) and this course did not disappoint. Most of the hills were simply rollers, but there were a handful of decent climbs and two of them were made harder because you had to make a tight turn and then climb, forcing you to lose most of your momentum.

I started out at a fairly decent pace, but determined to pick it up as the race went on. Overall, I felt that I struck a good balance of pushing the pace without burning up my legs for the run which I also knew had some good hills in it.

Just continue to put in the work on my bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Again, one day I'll learn to undo my shoes while still on the bike. Otherwise, a good transition.

Racked my bike, grabbed my race belt, visor and shades and with a quick chug of some gatorade, I was out the chute!
Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was HOT!! I came out of Transition too fast and had to spend the first 400 meters slowing my pace to handle the big hill and to be able to be consistent through the entire run.

In the first 1/2 mile, I caught up to one of the guys in my AG and passed him. I knew there was maybe one other guy in front of me and I managed to catch him right at the first mile marker. Little did I realize he would use me as his pacer....
I was doing ok, but then I hit the second hill right before the turn and that really hurt my pace. I had to slow down, but got it going again at the turn. Thank God for the water stop! I grabbed a couple of cups just to throw on myself and then got it going.
Heading up the last hill, I again had to slow down pretty badly and at the top I realized that the other AG was right behind me. Heading down the final hill, I began to ratchet up the pace, but he stubbornly held on. In the last 200 meters, I really gave it the gas, but that's when he suddenly sprung out from behind and just left me. I tried to find another level, but simply didn't have anything left in the tank. Well, not a bad day when you "settle" for second place!

My running work just hasn't been the same this year, I really need to spend more time pounding pavement and putting in the speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

water, lots and lots of water!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training and I am just not that good in the heat.

Event comments:

The course is great and the volunteers were excellent. For a sprint race, this is really well supported and organized. However, the post race food was extremely limited and there wasn't really much to drink (water and soda). I would have loved to see some chocolate milk or beer! I think if you're going to give out a glass to finishers, there should be something to put in it...

Last updated: 2016-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:47 | 500 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 48/179
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Counter clockwise loop starting from the marina and ending at the beach
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:35 | 12.4 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 36/179
Wind: None
Course: Looped course with a couple of pretty decent hills. Also a couple of rather tight turns that forced you to decelerate right before starting the climb.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:34 | 03.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 63/179
Course: Loop course with 2 fairly major hills. The first of which is leaving the transition and heading away from the lake. Mostly unshaded course with a water stop right before Mile 1, so you hit it again after Mile 2
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-08-16 8:53 AM

User image

New user

Greensboro, North Carolina
Subject: High Point Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Point Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

High Point 5K

Started by katieyows
Views: 835 Posts: 1

2009-09-08 7:17 AM katieyows

Cherry Point Sprint Triathlon/Relay Triathlon

Started by cantgeTRIte
Views: 1260 Posts: 1

2009-06-03 9:28 AM cantgeTRIte

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by jamievalocchi
Views: 1348 Posts: 1

2008-10-30 1:35 PM jamievalocchi

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by ABQkid
Views: 2069 Posts: 2

2007-05-10 10:01 PM lobo

High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by tripletmom01
Views: 1558 Posts: 4

2006-06-27 12:24 PM StarGazer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
After finishing a sprint triathlon I ate a large meal and about 8 hours later I became very ill with chills, fever and diarrhea. I attributed it to food poisoning but it happened again after a brick.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.