Tri Harder Promotions
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 38s
Overall Rank = 27/108
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

1/2 bagel, one small orange, one cup of coffee for breakfast. Seemed sufficiently hydrated at the start.
Event warmup:

200M easy swim
Swim
  • 04m 29s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

Seeded myself at 4:30, was second in the water. Time of 4:29 included time getting in and out of pool; probably "swam" it in ~ 4:24. Swimmer behind was close to my feet after 75m. Didn't do a great job flip-turning under the lane-lines, rubbed the line with my left shoulder on many breakouts. Reverse direction from usual circle swim contributed to this,as did the fact that I was trying to site the swimmer behind me off each wall because I knew she was closing.
What would you do differently?:

Not worry so much about the swimmer behind in a pool environment. I'm very proficient in swimming, my seed time was very accurate. If the swimmer behind is closing, it's probably his/her fault for not seeding themselves faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Opted to wear a polyester short-sleeve T-shirt for visibility reasons (neon orange color, chance of rain, not a closed bike course). Was very difficult to get on; hung up on shoulder blades.

Different bike shoes (Currently have speed- lace type). Different top. Maybe no socks?
Bike
  • 45m 19s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Stopped with ~ 1/2 mile to go to give my tube and inflator kit to someone with a flat who was just coming out of T1. I estimate I lost 40 seconds on this exchange, which cost me ~7 places on bike rank and total finish position. Goal was to break 18.0 mph, certainly would have done so without the stop. Opted for no gloves to speed up T1; hands got a little numb towards the end.

Drink more; didn't finish my bottle before T2. Is it time for aero bars?
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Lost some time while I downed the rest of the water in my bottle.

Speed laces for running shoes. Carry a small disposable water bottle out of T2. Finish bottle on bike leg so I didn't have to waste time finishing it while I stood still in the transition. Race belt for number and some sort of compact nutrition; I tried to drink an Ensure out of T2 but only got half down before I got to the trash.
Run
  • 24m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Steady, if not remarkable, pace. Shirt was too thick; I wasn't in danger of overheating, but I was a bit uncomfortable. Difficulty drinking from paper cup while moving. Didn't quite have the energy for the strong finish sprint I envisioned. Still, I was more competitive on this segment than I thought I'd be.

Cooler shirt. Race belt? More run conditioning.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, then showered and changed to clean, loose fitting clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hot on the run. Insufficient run training. Stopped to give tube to rider in need. Transitions weren't bad for first time, but I can improve. I spent 1:05 more in transitions than the average of the top 10 overall finishers.

Event comments:

I felt very good about the results of this, my first, triathlon. Finished 2/12 in my age group; might have been first if I hadn't stopped to give someone my tube kit. Finished in the top 25% overall. I was within seconds of all three target splits with no pacing assistance (GPS watch, bike computer, stop watch, etc), using only "Perceived Effort" to regulate my output. Surprised with how competitive my run time was, especially given my minimal preparation in this discipline (40 miles in 8 weeks). I think that was indicative of a reasonably smart overall race plan that was well executed.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:29 | 300 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 5/108
Performance: Average
Suit: Polyester jammer
Course: 6-lane, 25M pool, zig-zag course (clockwise circle in each lane)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:19 | 13.5 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 44/108
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out-and-back course from Monticello Aquatic Center to Allerton Park (around the Sunsinger Statue) via Allerton Road.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:44 | 03.11 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 22/108
Performance: Average
Course: Out-and-Back from Monticello Aquatic Center to Apple Tree Subdivision via bike trail. Part paved, part gravel trail. ~50 yard long wooden bridge crossed once in each direction; footing was slippery (recent rain)
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-08-17 11:53 AM

User image

Subject: KMC Sage City Triathlon

2016-08-17 1:52 PM
in reply to: #5195558

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: KMC Sage City Triathlon

Way to go! Are you going to do another race?

I just wear my tri top during the swim - that way, I don't have to mess with the difficulty of getting it on for the bike/run. A race belt is incredibly handy. Mine attaches with magnets rather than a clip. Really easy to get on.

2016-08-18 11:05 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Subject: RE: KMC Sage City Triathlon
I'm sure I'll do another race, but probably not this year. I'm a competitive swimmer first and foremost. Short course season practice starts next week. For the next year, I'll be focused on training for the 2017 USMS Summer Long Course Nationals. I finished 11th in the 400 free last year, 1 spot and 0.49 seconds out of the medals. I really want to check that achievement off my list. Logistical hurdles kept me from trying again this year.

Maybe winter 2017/18 will be the year I really work on improving my bike power, and summer 2018 the year I really make a competitive push in triathlon. In the meantime, I'll probably continue to dabble here and there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » KMC Sage City Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rage in the Sage - Sprint Triathlon

Started by branstep
Views: 1231 Posts: 1

2010-04-20 2:26 PM branstep

Rage in the Sage - Sprint Triathlon

Started by jha3334
Views: 1448 Posts: 1

2010-04-19 4:51 PM jha3334