General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deer Creek Fall Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-20 5:40 PM

User image

Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge
Lookin at driving over from Indianapolis and doing the 1/2 iron this year at Deer Creek, never been to that area, any tips?

How is the course elevation wise?

Also, what is the bike aid station situation like?

2016-08-20 8:12 PM
in reply to: tem375

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Fall Challenge

Originally posted by tem375 Lookin at driving over from Indianapolis and doing the 1/2 iron this year at Deer Creek, never been to that area, any tips? How is the course elevation wise? Also, what is the bike aid station situation like?

Course elevation.  basically looks like this --------------/\.........    I did the June Olympic in 2015 and outside of one hill towards the end of the lap, near the Spillway there isn't much.  I think my data showed 400ft of gain on the bike and 260 ft of gain on the run.  I assume the course is the same just more laps but could be wrong.   Either way HFP always puts on a great event, you will enjoy it.  Not having done the Half though I can't speak on the aid stations.

2016-08-20 8:17 PM
in reply to: #5195978

User image

Thanks! I figured based on what I could find that it would be flat(which is fine with me!)

2016-08-24 10:51 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
If the course and roads haven't changed in a few years - there is a dog leg for the half iron man. there is a packed gravel section of the course. there is loose gravel on a couple of turns (use caution). it is a 3 loop course (or at least was) and you could toss bottles at the transition area on the 2 interim passes and grab a new new bottle from race volunteers. I also tossed a shirt to a friend as I went by.

The run up from the water is long.

The race is a great race. have fun
2016-09-07 12:33 PM
in reply to: bruehoyt

User image

Elite
Cleveland

There are a couple of small climbs on each lap, but nothing terrible. Well under 1300' for the entire ride.  Just don't hammer each hill every time or burning those matches WILL catch up to you later (like, Lap 3, lol).

I only did the OLY last year and probably doing the OLY this year, too, but the course was same as it ever was.  They try to do a pretty good job of sweeping up any loose gravelon the turns out there, but invariably a little creeps out... just take the turns easy and keep an eye out and you'll be perfectly fine.  It's nothing to sweat too heavily, at all.  If not for doing Savageman 120 the weekend before with guiding a runner for part of Akron Marathon the day before, I might still be in for the Half.

The swims at HFP events are always FAST (short).

Here is my Garmin track for the 2013 70.3: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/383706943

and, for completeness, the run course (ignore how horribly slow I was, lol): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/383706953

2016-09-19 2:12 PM

User image

Thanks for the help! I am looking forward to it!

2016-10-03 9:28 PM

Originally posted by tem375

Lookin at driving over from Indianapolis and doing the 1/2 iron this year at Deer Creek, never been to that area, any tips?

How is the course elevation wise?

Also, what is the bike aid station situation like?

How was your race?

I did the sprint and between the June Deer Creek course and the fall challenge I took 10 mins off my overall sprint time!

felt great to end my season on a high note.

winter on the trainer should be ok.
2016-10-04 7:38 AM
in reply to: clutchy

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Congratulations!! That's a great improvement!

I was supposed to do the Half, but downgraded to the Olympic because I hadn't been able to train enough.
I finished in 3 hours 5 minutes and felt really good on the run. I took the bike very easy, which set me up for an excellent run. I took third in my age group!
2016-10-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

Originally posted by alicefoeller

Congratulations!! That's a great improvement!

I was supposed to do the Half, but downgraded to the Olympic because I hadn't been able to train enough.
I finished in 3 hours 5 minutes and felt really good on the run. I took the bike very easy, which set me up for an excellent run. I took third in my age group!

congrats! I'm going to step up my training this winter and move to olympics next year and maybe 1 half distance.

I actually did 10 sprints this year. 1 min of improvement per sprint

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deer Creek Fall Challenge Rss Feed