Overall Rank = 75/211
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Swim
  • 20m 55s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a great swim, actually the best I've had all year. I enjoyed the time trial start and actually managed to latch onto a person that swam at the same pace I do. I rode his feet the entire race and it sure made my day easier, I mostly let him site (once I determined he was keeping a great line). Because of the start there wasn't much bumping or jostling, except at the turns. The only two real downsides to the swim were the fact that the turn back home had us swimming directly into the sun, so you could not see anything. And the long trek up from the beach to T1. Neither of these are the fault of the race directors, and simply one of those things you deal with.
What would you do differently?:

I had a great swim and am happy with the performance
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s

Gotta get faster
Bike
  • 57m 47s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

As usual, don't believe it when they call a bike course "flat". The roads out of and back into the park were very hilly and there were a few rollers on the course itself. There was a HUGE hill at mile 13 that really caught us all by surprise.
Overall, the course was very nice. Roads were semi-rough (chat style asphalt) and were not closed, so we did have cars driving by on occasion.
The scary part was back in the park. I caught up to two park ranger trucks that were impeding bike traffic and I had to take a chance and go around them so I didn't lose all of my momentum after coming down one of the big hills.
Also, the last 3/4 mile is a large downhill right into transition. This gets tight because the run course is on the left side of the road. About half way down, a truck for some reason was in the road and turned so he blocked almost the entire road! I grabbed my brakes and actually had to swerve into the run course to avoid smashing into the back of the truck. Lastly, the dismount was right at the bottom of the hill, so you had to try and do a quick slow down and dismount to avoid penalty. Not sure what the race could do, but this did cause a few crashes.

Continue to spend time on the bike. I could definitely do better and the fact that I've been slacking on my bike work showed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

This time, I was in and out pretty quickly
Run
  • 36m 37s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

My running has been off this season. Probably because of the extra weight that I've been carrying this year. Had to walk half of the final hill, but still gave a good effort overall
Post race
Event comments:

This was the first year for this event, so I will cut them slack and assume they will learn and improve. I enjoyed the event overall, but here are suggestions that would make things better.

1. ensure that there are no cars for the park section of the bike. The road is too narrow to safely navigate especially with all the hills.
2. change the end of the bike course so you're not dismounting right at the end of the hill. Move the bike in next to the bike out, so that the bikes circle the parking lot and have a chance to decelerate.
3. It's a big park, is there really no way to make a single circuit run course? Also, don't have a sharp right turn at the bottom of a big hill into the finish. I witnessed more than a few people lose their footing and fall there.
The food was not great, and it's a disservice when your pizza doesn't show up until 2:25:00 after the race starts (with no announcement). I finished just under 2 hours and then didn't get pizza because it was not there and by the time I saw other people eating it, there was none left! Very disappointing.

Last updated: 2016-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:55 | 1000 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 56/211
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Clockwise loop from the beach
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:57:47 | 18 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 77/211
Wind: None
Course: lollipop shaped course. 2 miles out of the park to a big loop through country roads, then 3.5 miles back into the park.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:37 | 04 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 83/211
Performance: Average
Course: two loops through the park. A couple of bigger hills on a mostly shaded course. Two separate aid stations (one that you hit twice) so you essentially get water at each mile. However, they only had water, no gatorade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-08-22 8:34 AM

User image

New user

Greensboro, North Carolina
Subject: Lake Norman State Park Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Norman State Park Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park

Started by rhambrick
Views: 1504 Posts: 2

2011-05-02 8:05 AM thecaptin

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park

Started by afrutoz
Views: 1575 Posts: 1

2008-07-06 5:23 AM afrutoz

Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series, Mistletoe State Park

Started by Bluejack
Views: 1086 Posts: 3

2007-07-29 5:12 PM FALLS-RUNNER

Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series, Richard B. Russell State Park

Started by jteddy39.3
Views: 2135 Posts: 4

2007-06-04 2:41 PM jonathan22

Tri the Parks Triathlon and Duathlon, Richard B. Russell State Park

Started by FALLS-RUNNER
Views: 1331 Posts: 1

2006-08-07 8:50 AM FALLS-RUNNER
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!