General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Andrea Hewitt - No Goggles? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-22 9:31 AM

Subject: Andrea Hewitt - No Goggles?

Did anyone else notice that on Saturday that NZL's Hewitt did not wear goggles on the swim? Is this widely practiced at all? Seems insane to me, especially in that water!

2016-08-22 12:17 PM
in reply to: jdevito20

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Andrea Hewitt - No Goggles?
Originally posted by jdevito20

Did anyone else notice that on Saturday that NZL's Hewitt did not wear goggles on the swim? Is this widely practiced at all? Seems insane to me, especially in that water!

I don't know why she was not wearing googles during that race.

However, when I was a competitive swimmer I never used goggles during a race. The longest I ever swam in those days was a 500, but still I did not need them and they were one thing that could go wrong and lose a race for you.

I did not see Hewitt start the race did she have anything on in the beginning? If the strap breaks or your have a problem some people will just tear them off and keep going. I did it in an ocean swim last year.
2016-08-22 12:42 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mike761

However, when I was a competitive swimmer I never used goggles during a race. The longest I ever swam in those days was a 500, but still I did not need them and they were one thing that could go wrong and lose a race for you.

I did not see Hewitt start the race did she have anything on in the beginning? If the strap breaks or your have a problem some people will just tear them off and keep going. I did it in an ocean swim last year.

She did not wear them at all for the race. I think that was the first thing commentators said when she walked to the start line, that she swam without goggles (and that they didn't know why).
2016-08-22 12:42 PM
in reply to: mike761

I noticed she was not wearing them on the starting line. I'm not a "swimmer-swimmer" - whatever that means - but I guess some people swim w/o. I couldn't imagine it, esp in ocean saltwater.
2016-08-22 3:08 PM

User image

Exton, PA

I noticed she was not wearing them on the starting line. I'm not a "swimmer-swimmer" - whatever that means - but I guess some people swim w/o. I couldn't imagine it, esp in ocean saltwater.

It's not that bad, I had the strap break and lost my goggles about 1/2 through an Olympic tri last summer. If you can't see in the water because of water quality the goggles don't do much for you. By not using them you eliminate fogging issues and glare issues, it's just how sensitive you are to the salt water. (they were in salt water right?)
2016-08-22 5:59 PM

Actually quite a few pros, including Chris McCormack have done ocean OWS without goggles. I was surprised too at first, but it apparently isn't a problem. If I werent' dependent on contact lenses, I'd try it myself.

2016-08-23 2:00 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
you are forgetting that she is from New Zealand and New Zealanders do crazy things
2017-11-15 11:41 AM

Actually quite a few pros
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Andrea Hewitt - No Goggles? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ever lose your goggles or have other major goggle problems in a race

Started by brucemorgan
Views: 3409 Posts: 20

2012-02-29 8:50 AM Hook'em

oh noes!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1502 Posts: 3

2010-09-10 8:02 AM bcart1991

noes plugs

Started by roxygirl
Views: 2330 Posts: 14

2008-05-30 2:11 AM intriathlete

Big Goggles Little Goggles

Started by tri'n
Views: 1955 Posts: 14

2008-02-12 2:37 PM rstocks3

Simulating open water- let those goggles fog!

Started by NoisyD
Views: 997 Posts: 2

2004-10-07 10:27 PM tech_geezer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 7
After three triathlon seasons, I finally decided that I wanted to actually see well during the swim portion. My vision is not so great. I had to find better goggles.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
comments : 0
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!

date : October 31, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Getting fall discounts on triathlon equipment is more difficult than finding the Great Pumpkin, right? Well, I’m here to say it isn’t so. Deals for triathletes are plentiful - you just have to look.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.