General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running w/ a hypoxic mask Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-22 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: Running w/ a hypoxic mask

Today I encountered a woman wearing a hypoxic mask and running the opposite direction on the trail.  For a second I thought I had been swept into a scene from Mad Max.  If someone is going to run wearing one of those, I feel they should consider going all in and don the full Darth Vader costume.  That way they could get the benefit from high temperature training, as well.

What interesting things have you seen on one of your recent runs (or rides)?

2016-08-22 9:13 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Running w/ a hypoxic mask
Originally posted by SevenZulu

Today I encountered a woman wearing a hypoxic mask and running the opposite direction on the trail.  For a second I thought I had been swept into a scene from Mad Max.  If someone is going to run wearing one of those, I feel they should consider going all in and don the full Darth Vader costume.  That way they could get the benefit from high temperature training, as well.

I saw something very similar to this.

Out for a run and saw a lady burning her money on the side of the trail.
2016-08-23 3:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Other than the bodily functions that are going to happen in trail ultras, the most interesting thing that I saw which wasn't the trail itself was actually having a dog I'd never met sort of just start running with me!

I was mid race, and I was a little past the aid station, but there was no way I could just go BACK!

It seemed like it knew where it was going darting up and down, but stuck mostly to me, then if someone passed me stuck to them for a few minutes til I re-passed.

I let multiple volunteers know, nobody seemed to know the dog.

Finally coming out of the park, with 2k on the road to go I let another volunteer know, and a guy just sitting at a picnic table overhears me and says people from the last aid station are looking for that dog!!

Met a new friend on the trail found out having a dog as a running partner can be great, and a happy ending!

I was afraid I'd have to make sure it came to the finish to get trucked back up to that aid station or something to search out the owners! :p
2016-08-23 6:49 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hey--don't knock this Asian custom! (BTW it is fake "ghost" money.) Normal part of life in my neighborhood, especially during "ghost month", which is usually August, or around that time on the lunar calendar. It keeps the evil road spirits/body snatchers/unsettled ghosts at bay. You never know when they could reach out and grab an unsuspecting runner or biker. Better to pay them off.

As for the hypoxic mask, forget it. That's like paying good money to have asthma.
2016-08-23 8:09 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25

I saw something very similar to this. Out for a run and saw a lady burning her money on the side of the trail.

FTW!  LOL!

2016-08-23 1:17 PM

Other then people peeing right on the side of the road because it's too much hassle to walk 4 feet to the bushes? I walk backwards after my runs. Does that count?

2016-08-23 3:07 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by TriTampa2 Other then people peeing right on the side of the road because it's too much hassle to walk 4 feet to the bushes? I walk backwards after my runs. Does that count?

I see people occasionally jogging backwards.  I'm assuming there is a good reason for this other than getting stuck in reverse -- maybe strengthening some supporting muscles in the legs/ankles or something like that?

2016-08-23 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I live at 4000'... why bother.
2016-08-23 5:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by TriTampa2 Other then people peeing right on the side of the road because it's too much hassle to walk 4 feet to the bushes? I walk backwards after my runs. Does that count?

I see people occasionally jogging backwards.  I'm assuming there is a good reason for this other than getting stuck in reverse -- maybe strengthening some supporting muscles in the legs/ankles or something like that?

If I run more miles than is on coach's plan, I run backwards to get the garmin closer to what i should have done.  Haven't you ever seen Ferris Bueller???

2016-08-23 5:38 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by ChrisM

If I run more miles than is on coach's plan, I run backwards to get the garmin closer to what i should have done.  Haven't you ever seen Ferris Bueller???

Rolling back the pedometer?  Isn't that illegal in most states?

2016-08-23 6:17 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Originally posted by dfquigley

Other than the bodily functions that are going to happen in trail ultras, the most interesting thing that I saw which wasn't the trail itself was actually having a dog I'd never met sort of just start running with me!

Last summer my daughter and I were jogging around the block (using a Couch to 5k program, so it was run/walk) and this dog joined us. He ran with us for about 20 minutes and even followed us home when we were done. We got yelled at by a man walking his dog for letting "our" dog run up to his; we had a chuckle after I explained that it wasn't our dog.

He hung out on our front porch for a while when we finished and went inside. Our neighbor does a lot of volunteer work at the local Humane Society and she put the dog in her (fenced in) backyard and dropped him off there in the morning. Never saw him again.

As for the trails, probably the coolest thing I ever saw was this guy roller skating with the old style (not in-line) skates with long socks that had the green bands near the top. His shorts were the shiny polyester. He was white and had a perm and was listening to one of those headphones that had the built in radio with the 2' metal antenna sticking up out of his left ear. Only thing he was lacking was a tie dye shirt and possibly some Ben Franklin sunglasses. I would love to know what music he was listening to on that thing.

J White

2016-08-23 8:29 PM

Yes and helping to stretch out hamstrings and hip flexors. Had a physical therapist recommend it. I've been doing it for about two months. It doesn't hurt anything so figured I'd try. She said she has a lot of her athletes do it on a treadmill.

Apparently walking backwards for exercise is more popular I'm Japan and Europe. Burns more calories I guess.

I do it max 15 minutes. It does force me into a proper cool down as opposed to my normal do my run - stop - 2 seconds of stretching and done.
2016-08-24 7:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think I have shared these before a long time ago (so not recent), but the weirdest things I have seen on a run included:

*Letting a cat out of a bag (Vietnam). The guy didn't speak a whole lot of English when I confronted him, but it sounded like he had rescued it from a nearby parkway with heavy traffic, stuck it in a convenient sack on his motorbike, and wanted to leave it somewhere safe. Hope he wasn't abandoning a pet. I tried to rescue Kitty, but she wasn't interested.

*Burying a dead body (twice), not in a graveyard. (In China, old running route along a canal which, disturbingly, carries drinking water from a reservoir to the city of Beijing.)

*Tomb raiding--people excavating newly opened tombs that were being studied by archaeologists, but somehow they didn't put any security there to guard the site. China, again.

There are probably more, but these come to mind as some of the weirdest. Burning money, totally normal. My neighbor was doing it this morning in the courtyard of my apartment complex.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-08-24 7:26 AM
2016-08-24 10:12 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

How much money do I need to burn to drop a minute per mile?

2016-08-24 6:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Will try asking the ghosts next time I see them. Usually people burn millions, sometimes billions. Banknotes must be from the Bank of Hell. Fortunately, the exchange rate is really good. (Haven't checked lately but I think you can get a stack for a dollar or so.)

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-08-24 6:42 PM
2016-08-29 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I regularly see people walking the trail in those plastic looking outfits. It'll be over 100 degrees and there they are wrapped in black trash bags from head to toe.

If only I could lose a bunch of sweat, I would be super thin!

2016-08-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

At the pool yesterday there was a woman in the water doing a slow breast stroke.  She stopped, stood up, reached down into the water and pulled up her PHONE which was in a waterproof pouch on a lanyard around her neck.  For the next 15 minutes she conducted a text conversation while alternately walking up the lane and stopping in the middle and playing some sort of video game.  Glad she was not in my lane; that may not have ended well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running w/ a hypoxic mask Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

hypoxic swim training for high altitude

Started by raeray80
Views: 1163 Posts: 7

2011-07-05 2:53 PM raeray80

hypoxic swimming drills are they worth it ? Pages: 1 2

Started by roy123
Views: 5183 Posts: 39

2011-03-16 8:34 AM monkeyboy64

The Myth of Hypoxic Swimming Pages: 1 2 3

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 7564 Posts: 51

2007-10-31 2:52 PM sealiongirl

"hypoxic" training?

Started by Micawber
Views: 617 Posts: 4

2005-12-14 12:44 PM marmadaddy

Hypoxic Training???

Started by Casey Shaw
Views: 626 Posts: 3

2005-08-15 5:48 AM super_sally888
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 0
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on open water swimming and four drills to help you better prepare for your event.

date : September 21, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Altitude training has become a hot topic to increase performance. Since not every athlete can simply relocate to an altitude environment the next question is how can altitude training be simulated?
date : February 13, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Some anaerobic training is essential. You will need to have some speed to break out of the pack, turn a buoy at a proper angle, or to lose the annoying swimmer behind you that's grabbing your ankles.