General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat guy and the triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-23 11:41 AM

Subject: Fat guy and the triathlon
Ok so I'm gonna put this right out there from the start I'm fat. I know that is a self degrading attitude but is it really or am I just being honest with myself. The plus is I am not as fat I used to be. In January I weighed in at 360lbs. Currently I am down to 310lbs. The journey has been long and tiring but paid off huge so far. I started with 5k's and then decided I wanted to be totally crazy and I signed up for two try a tri's.

The first one is:
200m swim
10k bike
2.5k run

the second is
200m swim
20k bike
3k run

I wanted to do something to push my body to it's limit and now here is where my questions come in. As we discussed i'm fat. Where does a Fat guy buy triathlon gear? How do I know what is fat guy friendly and what isn't? next how much should I really care what others think of me when I wear all this tight fitting clothing with my fat all just being fat lets be honest i'm 300+lbs no one really wants to see me in spandex.

2016-08-23 12:09 PM
in reply to: #5196327

Subject: RE: Fat guy and the triathlon
You can wear whatever you are comfortable working out in. Dont worry about what others are think but I think you will be surprised how nice people are during the races.

Have fun and good luck with your race and training. Nice work so far as well.
2016-08-23 12:22 PM
in reply to: jdutton3624

User image

You will see people of all different sizes and shapes racing.  If we're being honest none of us look good in spandex.  Well except for a few of the ladies

It's not easy but don't worry about what others might be thinking.  Most are a little uncomfortable wearing it for the first time.  Wear what ever you are comfortable competing in.  And have fun. 

I buy most of my gear at swimoutlet.com.  They have a fair return policy.  There's lots of online retailers. 

2016-08-23 12:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Congrats on your weight loss and your tri goals!  50 lbs. lost is great!

I'd recommend popping over to the Clydesdale/Athena (heavier guys/gals) mentor group to get additional feedback on clothing and gear http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=538195&page=22&posts=541 

Best of luck to you on your path to tris and better health, stick with it, you're doing a fine job!

2016-08-23 12:27 PM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Doesn't matter what others think, this is your deal!

You may have to go custom for a good fitting tri-suit:

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/big-man-triathlon-apparel.html

Some large tri shorts with a couple positive reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Mans-Classic-Triathlon-Shorts/dp/B0034ZL3...

Keep up the solid work!
2016-08-23 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Awesome work on the weight lose so far. It's a great feeling to see the hard work paying off.

As a large individual myself (previously much larger but a Clydesdale lifer), I wouldn't worry about the specific tri gear quite as much yet. Get a good pair of tri-shorts that fit, but besides that don't worrying about going nuts with the shirts or bibs or anything. For the shirt, get something you're comfortable whether it's just a tech shirt or dri-fit type thing you can find at Target/Kohls or an Under Armor type shirt. For tri-shorts I found TYR to be available in larger sizes online or sometimes your local bike shop will carry a few pairs that you can try on. One big thing I noticed at first was that it helped to do a couple workouts in what I was going to wear for my race so there were no surprises when something was tight or rode up weird on race day.

As cliché as it sounds too, other people are more concerned with what is going on with them instead of what someone else is wearing. Everyone is busy inflating tires or laying out their areas or whatever and usually focused on their own gig, so don't sweat what you look like in comparison to others. IMO everyone looks stupid in whatever spandex get up they are wearing but we all wear it anyways.

2016-08-23 12:41 PM

User image

You won't be the first 300 lb guy that I have seen at a triathlon. I have never paid attention to what they were wearing. I only notice what people are wearing if it is really odd or transparent. For example, men, your boxers are not swim trunks, I don't care how comfortable they are.

I second swimoutlet.com as having a wide range of sizes at good prices.

Depending on what is comfortable, if you are just getting a feel for things, you could swim in trunks and throw a t-shirt or tank top on in T1. I am not a guy, though, so I don't know how comfortable that would be to run in.
2016-08-23 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I've seen guys bigger than you at triathlons. Don't worry about it.

Congratulations on your accomplishments, so far. 50 #'s (loss) is HUGE! Keep up the great work.
2016-08-23 2:24 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Way to go on your weight loss! Good luck at your races, and let us know how they go.

2016-08-23 6:10 PM
in reply to: 0

IM a fat guy that got into the sport to lose weight- Swim-Bike-run really helped cut weight fast and keep it off. At my biggest, I found the only company that worked for me was Aerotech Design. Not the BEST quality but good enough to get you started. They are the only true "fat guy" company that worked. For top quality gear (much more expensive) you can look at "Fat lad in the back" - European company started for us big guys! FOr now, id recommend low end tri shorts from Aerotech. I think they will run you $30-40.

As far as caring about what you look like, Ill share my story. On my first race, they made an announcement that wetsuits would not be allowed. That meant i would be standing around in just triShorts. I was freaking out being shirtless in front of 1,000 people. My nerves quickly went away for 3 reasons:
1- you will never be the biggest guy there : )
2- people actually respect and cheer for us big guys- they realize how hard it is for us
3- People are more concerned with themselves (in a good way) that they dont care what you look like

Hope this helps- good luck!

Im new to the sport but a big guy and went through what you are- It is rewarding and addicting so get ready for it!

Edited by TriToFinish57 2016-08-23 6:12 PM
2016-08-23 8:47 PM
in reply to: #5196327

Thank you all for your support I look forward to this weekend to push myself and see how i do. This is what I love about these sports everyone is so supportive it's amazing.

2016-08-23 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
First, great work, keep it up. Second, I am in the sport because I happened to be at a local race and saw some 300# + guys doing the race along with an 87 year old woman finisher. At the time I was 250# at 5'11", so I had nothing to brag about. I was both embarrassed and inspired as a long time couch potato. . So thank you in advance for the next guy like me that you will inspire.

That was just a few years ago. I even lost a year after getting hit by a car and fracturing my hip. This Dec I will be doing my first IM at the age of 61.

Don't give a second thought to what anybody else thinks. Trust me when I tell you, the people who compete in this sport are always supportive. What you have already accomplished is amazing. Just think what you will look like (and feel like) a year from now!

Let us know how you are doing.

2016-08-23 10:15 PM
in reply to: #5196467

Hey,
Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Welcome to the club!
John
2016-08-23 10:29 PM
in reply to: Sirc

I get inspired by a lot of people I see in tri. Not the least of which are very heavy athletes clearly working to change their lives via fitness and triathlon. You will find when you start doing tri races that this is not a grade school playground and rather than someone poking fun at your stature you will be supported beyond your wildest expectations.

I did my first tri at age 59 after losing 35 lbs. 9 months later I finished a half Ironman at age 60. All along the way, encouragement and support from other athletes.

Have fun. This is the first day of the rest of your life.
2016-08-24 1:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Add me to the list of people cheering for you !
Smile, and enjoy your journey

2016-08-24 4:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Well done on the wight loss

Just wear what you are comfortable in ... I was about 280lbs when I started and I found people in Tri dont judge ... they just encourage

Enjoy it

Edited by WildWill 2016-08-24 4:21 AM

2016-08-24 11:51 AM

I can't wait for your posts next week.
I want to vicariously relive those 3-4 days after your first race where you really can't think about much else while you're at work.
You just keep clicking refresh waiting for the results to come up.
Then you start clicking on refresh on the picture page until they come up.
Then you start googling "triathlons near me"
And then about 4 days later, the googling changes to things like "what does it take to complete an Olympic length triathlon" and "How to go faster on a bike" and "what's a good swim workout for a beginner"

The best part of this....there's so much going on in tri that you can always find a 'high' that's almost as good as completing your first tri.
It can be as simple as setting goals like "faster than last year" or "not stopping to breaststroke on the swim" or maybe it's moving to a longer length, or improving your run by x seconds.

I'm sure you're well aware of how setting small, achievable goals....and achieving them......is one of the most rewarding parts of life. If all you thought about was losing those "50 lbs".......you'd never have made it that far. I'm guessing you were pretty darn happy to eliminate one bad meal choice a week......or did cartwheels each week when you saw you lost 2 lbs.....and had completely forgotten about whatever your goal weight is/was. There's so much going on in tri you can find a ZILLION ways to set small achievable goals.

I cannot wait to see your joy. Even if something unplanned happens and interferes....I have no doubt you'll be right back out there.
You got this thing man....you got this.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat guy and the triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

60 miles today - not bad for a middle aged fat guy

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1425 Posts: 12

2006-04-02 7:50 PM Rogillio

Dog drags fat guy 10 miles! Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 2459 Posts: 35

2006-03-14 10:04 AM Rogillio

I am in a wedding party how do I stop being the fat funny guy Pages: 1 2

Started by Rizzo
Views: 2976 Posts: 31

2005-07-10 8:25 PM MKraus64

fat girl smokes fit guy at pool

Started by madeye
Views: 1529 Posts: 19

2005-05-13 12:20 PM Stake

x fat guy runs his first race

Started by soontobetrimom
Views: 1278 Posts: 6

2003-11-18 1:22 PM madmedic3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2016
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Defining "good fats" in an athlete's diet

date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.
date : June 10, 2008
author : peteo
Training for a Tri!!! I get to treat my body as if it were a field mule while my wife runs circles around me and splashes water up my nose at the pool. Whoohoo give me some more!!

date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.