General Discussion Race Reports! » Garden State SwimRun Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Garden State SwimRun - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Randolph, New Jersey
United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 35s
Overall Rank = 22/37
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Clif bar and a Nuun water.
Event warmup:

Not much - just stretched a little. I had planned on more of a warm-up, but didn't get there too early and also was distracted by all the people who came with us.
Swim
  • 31m 35s
  • 1443 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did pretty well through the swim segments. Jeff has video of me entering swim 1 and very smoothly situating my pull buoy, getting my goggles on, and diving in. I passed four people on the swim start alone, and quite a few others during the swim itself (including Mikey - pictures indicate I got him on swim 1). Swimming felt pretty awful, like I was swimming through molasses with those heavy shoes dragging behind me. Swim 2 was a bit better, but swim 3 was so long afterward that my arms had gotten tight. Overall, the swims were definitely my strength, but not as strong as they could have been. My heart rate was pretty high from trying to swim at a regular pace with all that drag, and that took a big toll on my swim-to-run transitions, which were rocky.
What would you do differently?:

I need to train with drag in order to be strong enough to pull all that stuff (especially the shoes, but also the tri suit and sports bra). More strength training would be good, too, but I think swimming with some drag suits on a regular basis would be enough.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No transitions - this is swimrun!
Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 4.63 miles
  • 12m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The runs were tough - I don't train in terrain like that. Since the lakes were obviously at the bottom of the hills, the long runs both started with significant uphill sections. Since I was beat from dragging my shoes through the swim, I had a very hard time getting my heart rate down and getting into a good running rhythm. The hills didn't help. On the two longer runs, I took awhile to get into the groove. When I did, though, I think I was running well. I have little experience on such a technical run course, but I think I did well with it. I tripped three or four times, but only when I was distracted and lost focus. Most of the time, I was able to navigate quite well.
What would you do differently?:

Train hills and technical sections. Jeff suggested Tyler State Park in Newtown for some training runs. Also, being better able to handle the drag on the swim would put me in a better position to start the run, easing the transitions.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around talking to my spectators. No real warm down. Stayed in Rutherford most of the day, so didn't get a bath or anything (though I did get a short nap in the afternoon). I was pretty tight over the next few days.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I completely underestimated how difficult swimrun would be (though the hilly, technical run course was a big part of that).

Event comments:

This was an amazing race - a great opportunity to try out swimrun at home in New Jersey. The race itself was well-organized and quite challenging. Since it was the first year, I got the impression it was underfunded and underpublicized, but everything was well planned out for the small crowd that ran it. I really enjoyed the experience and will definitely be back next year!

Last updated: 2016-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:35 | 1443 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/37
Performance: Average
Times are approximated based on my normal pace.
Suit: Zoot tri top and shorts
Course: Swim 1: .15 mi [a bit longer, really - the swim exit was further than the one marked on the original course map] Swim 2: .38 mi Swim 3: .18 mi Swim 4: .11 mi
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes:
Running
01:00:00 | 04.63 miles | 12m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/37
Performance: Average
Course: Up significant hills, most with switchbacks (but the beginning of run 4 was head on up a slope that was so steep it was difficult even to walk up!). Very technical single-track running, with lots of rocks, roots, and even downed trees to cross. Run 1: .2 Run 2: .05 Run 3: 2.58 Run 4: 1.8
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-08-24 9:20 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Garden State SwimRun
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Garden State SwimRun Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Westfield Garden State Plaza 5K

Started by kje610
Views: 1001 Posts: 1

2009-11-17 12:25 PM kje610

The Callaway Gardens Fitness Series Duathlon

Started by HornJM
Views: 1619 Posts: 10

2006-05-19 9:00 PM oneslowdoc

Hughston Orthopedic Hospital 5K Run Callaway Gardens

Started by HornJM
Views: 1398 Posts: 5

2006-01-30 10:00 AM watergirl

Garden of Lights 5k Run

Started by saloman
Views: 750 Posts: 1

2005-12-18 2:52 PM saloman

Hughston Clinic Callaway Gardens

Started by fairtrader
Views: 842 Posts: 1

2005-07-25 8:34 AM fairtrader
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!