World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 12h 07m 51s
Overall Rank = 722/2480
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 147/363
Pre-race routine:

My first Ironman! I spent the first six months of training focusing on the run, then switched the focus to the bike the last three months. I worked hard on the swim the entire time, having just started swimming 18 months ago. I felt well trained and well prepared on race day.

DW and I (she also raced) arrived in Mont -Tremblant on Thursday to settle in. I slept well the night before the race and was up at 4:00 for a pb&j sandwich, coffee, and electrolyte drink. We headed to the race start for 6:00.
Event warmup:

I splashed around in the water a little bit but didn't really do a warm up. I tried to settle the nerves. I was fully aware that I was about to do an Ironman and the magnitude of that was not lost on me.
Swim
  • 1h 30m 53s
  • 4500 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

A storm was rolling in and it was windy, so the water was very choppy. I was just happy we were getting the full distance in. This was by far the largest race I've done, so I was not used to that much traffic and contact. I handled it well and just did my thing. I got hit a lot, swam over a lot, and the choppy water knocked me around a lot. I was able to sight well though and kept in a straight line, despite the waves doing their best to push me around and hide my view of the buoys. This was my first 2.4 mile open water swim. Physically it was no problem, but handling the conditions and the contact was the trick. For me though, this was a great swim. I was hoping to swim 1:30 and I nailed that. My weakest discipline was now behind me.
What would you do differently?:

This was as good a swim as I have in me. I just need to keep training. I didn't wear a tri top and I don't know why. Next time I'll wear it.
Transition 1
  • 09m 19s
Comments:

The run from the water through T1 is .4 miles long. A stripper ripped my suit off (nice!) and I made the jog to the changing tent, with a quick pee stop. I changed, grabbed my bike, and was on my way. Overall I thought my transition was smooth but could have been a little faster.

Wear my top during the swim to save some fiddling around in T1.
Bike
  • 6h 15m 17s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I followed my coach's game plan. I went easy on lap one, and picked up the effort on lap two. As promised, the rain started falling 20 miles into the ride and just got harder, accompanied by strong winds. The rain just didn't let up. With all the water coming off the bikes in front of me, it felt like the rain was hitting me from the sky and the ground. Everybody had to deal with the same conditions, so I did my best to just focus on my race, my effort, and my nutrition. I kept right on top of the nutrition (330 Infinit calories per hour) and had to pee twice during the bike. I popped a salt pill every 30 minutes as well. I rode past an awful crash at mile 55 and it reminded me to take it easy on the downhills (hope those riders were ok). I reloaded my bottles at special needs and was off for lap two. My legs felt great after one lap and I passed a *lot* of people on lap two. That kind of worried me because I thought maybe I was going too hard. The effort felt right though so I just tried to stay focused on myself. The rain and wind continued to hammer away and I started to feel it about 90 miles into the ride. At this point I started to think about the run and how dead my legs were going to feel. I was a little nervous that I pedaled too hard. I was shooting for a 6:30 bike and I nailed a 6:15. Easily my best century ride to date. I moved up about 600 spots on the bike.

More hill training. This ride itself though went about as well as I could have possibly hoped. I nailed it.
Transition 2
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

Get off the bike and a volunteer takes it. Got to love that! I spotted a couple of friends cheering at T2 so I stopped to say hi before they told me to "GO!" :D I changed out of the bike shorts and into tri shorts, changed socks, grabbed my gels, and got to running. I exited the changing tent and let out a "WOO HOO!" much to the crowd's (and my own) delight.

Nothing. A smooth transition.
Run
  • 4h 07m 46s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah, the run. My favorite and strongest part. After feeling a little run anxiety on the bike, I was thrilled with how good my legs felt when I started the run. No different than any brick run. In my enthusiasm, I started a little fast, but I settled into a "comfortable" 9:15ish pace, knowing I had a long way to go. I put the 26.2 miles out of my mind and just focused on one mile at a time. Run a mile, then take any nutrition and a walk break if needed. I started to feel the Ironman fatigue around mile 10 but pushed through to 14 miles before I needed to walk up a hill. I walked maybe 30 seconds and got right back to running. I did this for all the uphills the rest of the way. I came upon DW at mile 18 of my race..she was around mile 8. I gave her a hug and some encouragement, then continued on. My legs were really starting to hurt here, but I was still running. The last 10K was a real grind, as I was completely exhausted. I took a couple of extra short walk breaks, but walked no more than 3 minutes total the entire run. I was passing a lot of people, and I was surprised to see so many people walking. As tired as I was, I was still mentally focused and kept fighting to the end. Finally with three miles to go in my run, the rain stopped. With about 1.5 miles to go, I could hear the finish line and it helped pull me to the end. I caught up to DW as she was finishing her first lap. I stayed with her for a few seconds before she pushed me on to the finish line. I damn near floated down that finish chute, and stopped under the clock with my fists raised as the announcer proclaimed me an Ironman.

Coach said I could break 13 hours if I had a good race, and 12 hours if the stars aligned. Well it was too cloudy and raining for the stars to come out, but I damn near executed this race to perfection. 12:07 is about as good as I could have possibly hoped.
Post race
Warm down:

A finish line volunteer stayed with me for a minute and kept asking if I was ok...I felt great. Completely exhausted, but great. I've felt worse after marathons. I got my medal, my finisher shirt and hat, and plopped down in a chair in the finisher tent. As I sat down, I hung my head and everything sort of hit me at once...the training, the long workouts, the commitment and sacrifice, and the great day I had. Everything was so totally worth it. After gathering myself, I pounded a plate of food before going to the hotel to shower, then returned to the finish area to see DW's glorious finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather. So much wind and rain! The worst weather I have ever raced in, and it just happens to occur in the biggest race of my life.

Event comments:

Such a great race and event. I'll be back in 2017. The people make this great. Te race organizers, officials, volunteers, spectators, and fellow athletes are so supportive and encouraging. The event itself seem to run flawlessly. I am completely satisfied with the entire thing.

Last updated: 2016-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:30:53 | 4500 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 265/363
Overall: 1700/2480
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: One clockwise loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:15:17 | 112 miles | 17.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/363
Overall: 0/2480
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two 56 mile loops. 5500' elevation gain. Mostly long, gradual uphills, with some short steeper ones on Chemin Duplessis. Pristine roads.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:07:46 | 26.2 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/363
Overall: 0/2480
Course: Two loops. Gently up and down with a couple of steeper but short inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-08-28 2:31 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Mont-Tremblant

2016-08-28 3:56 PM
in reply to: #5196968

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant
Congrats, IronMan! There aren't too many things that compare to crossing the finish line at your first IM...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by zaugfear
Views: 2565 Posts: 5

2012-08-28 6:44 AM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 7980 Posts: 48

2012-08-31 1:55 PM Socks

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rlejeune
Views: 3069 Posts: 7

2012-08-27 7:07 PM juniperjen

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rockymtnhigh
Views: 2570 Posts: 4

2012-08-21 6:42 PM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by axteraa
Views: 5096 Posts: 23

2013-01-02 7:46 PM justinfss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.