General Discussion Triathlon Talk » World Championship races and ITU rules Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-29 9:40 AM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: World Championship races and ITU rules
Hey Guys,

I qualified for LC Du Worlds in 2017 and I see that Worlds is run by ITU rules. The rules state that bikes must be UCI legal for both the draft legal and non draft legal races. Does that mean that I can't use a BTA bottle mount or a rear hydration carrier? My bike is UCI legal otherwise, but the hydration is throwing me for a loop.

Had anyone else raced at worlds and run into this? Is it the same at all Worlds events?

Any experience would be appreciated!

2016-08-29 1:25 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: World Championship races and ITU rules

Originally posted by triathlonpal07 Hey Guys, I qualified for LC Du Worlds in 2017 and I see that Worlds is run by ITU rules. The rules state that bikes must be UCI legal for both the draft legal and non draft legal races. Does that mean that I can't use a BTA bottle mount or a rear hydration carrier? My bike is UCI legal otherwise, but the hydration is throwing me for a loop. Had anyone else raced at worlds and run into this? Is it the same at all Worlds events? Any experience would be appreciated!

if it is draft legal you cannot use BTA, if it isn't I used it the last 2 years and had no problem

2016-08-30 7:14 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Draft legal means road bike, but you can use clip ons as long as they do not extend past the virtual line between the furthers tip of the brake levers. Non-draft legal ITU, means no BTA and I do believe behind seat as well (although I'm not certain about that one).
2016-08-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by audiojan Draft legal means road bike, but you can use clip ons as long as they do not extend past the virtual line between the furthers tip of the brake levers. Non-draft legal ITU, means no BTA and I do believe behind seat as well (although I'm not certain about that one).

they didn't check the several thousand bikes there....may not be within the rules but i saw tons of AGers doing both

2016-08-30 10:42 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

, North Carolina
It is non-draft legal, so the whole road bike thing doesn't play into this. I was thinking UCI rules meant no BTA mount, when reading through he rules, it doesn't say anything about hydration on the non-draft legal section, but it does mention it specifically on the draft legal section. A guy on Slowtwitch said that the UCI rule phrase only has to do with non traditional frames and not with hydration.

I looked as some pics from previous years and there are some guys running the BTA and rear bottle mounts, so I may just ask to be safe.
2016-09-01 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
I ran my BTA setup, no issues. I saw all grades of hydrations setups... BTA, on frame, behind the seat. Draft legal I don't think you'll have a problem.

I'll have my BTA and behind the seat for Cozumel next month. Don't foresee any issues.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » World Championship races and ITU rules Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ITU World Championships (Sprint distance)

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 2255 Posts: 8

2011-01-21 8:39 AM crowny2

ITU LC world championships 2012

Started by swiss tri
Views: 2131 Posts: 3

2010-11-28 11:30 PM swiss tri

AG'er murdered at ITU World Championship

Started by crowny2
Views: 1890 Posts: 8

2010-09-20 7:40 PM funkyd04

Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series live and for free

Started by Tri_dave
Views: 540 Posts: 2

2009-06-25 10:06 AM hip82

Distance for '08 ITU Long Course World Championships

Started by swiss tri
Views: 710 Posts: 3

2008-05-02 9:49 AM swiss tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.