Cedar Creek Triathlon
71F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 59m 11s
Overall Rank = 9/206
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

This race season started off with so much hope, so much promise, so many possibilities. . . . and then we decided to move into a new house and all those 2016 racing dreams died. But, BUT, we still have the 2016 Cedar Creek Triathlon left on the calendar with a small chance to create some worthwhile memories of the season's racing year.

This would have been my third year out of 3 of doing this race, but last year I came down with a still unknown and mysterious aliment/cold/infection/plague that knocked me on my ass for a month. But I am back once again because its local and there are a lot of great people I know racing and putting on the event.

Because I'm part night owl, and I also don't always act smartly, I stayed up too late the night before and probably got less than 5 hours of shut-eye. I got up and made my way to the kitchen in an effort to put some sort of caloric intake into my mouth while watching the US Farm Report. This also seems as good a place as any to mention that I love Saturday morning races. Unlike Sunday races, which pretty much dominate your weekend plans including Friday and Saturday night activity choices, Saturday races leave you with almost two full days of relaxing afterwards. There really needs to be more of them.

After eating I made my way to the race sight. Because of heavy rains the night before the parking was spread around various parking lots within the sub-development. For those unfamiliar, Cedar Creek is community built around a golf course with extra roads & cul-de-sacs intended for business development - but that development has yet to really take off, especially following the 07-08 crisis. In the mean time the extra space provides for an easy solution to a soggy parking problem.

Ended up with a good transition spot, end of the row, and a row away from the bike exit. It's also is nice when many other guys you know are in the same spot.
Event warmup:

The pond that drains into the mini lake had a bit of run-off debris in it after last night's rain. They managed to fish out the large pieces of wood/etc. but the water was dark and muddy. Instead of only being able to see two inches away from your face, visibility was now reduced to zero. Didn't matter at all though. Did a short test swim; perfect water temperature.
Swim
  • 07m 5s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time trial start. I seeded myself somewhere in the top ten. It sounded like there were some young, fast swim club kids in our presence so I made sure they got a head of me. When it was my turn to go I immediately passed the guy who started in front of me. Not long after that the guy who started behind me passed me. In the back of my mind I kinda expected that to be about as interesting as it would get for a 500 time trial swim. Instead it stayed competitive and I had my first ever desire in a race to throw an elbow and yank on someones ankle as they went by.

Half way through the swim I started creeping up on another dude, passing him on the left. Simultaneously I also had someone slowly start to pass me on my left. The guy passing me started to squeeze me out using the guy I was passing. This frustrated the heck out of me. All of this open water and this is the route you took? I almost got to the point I wanted to jab the guy passing me in the side. I had to pull up to keep from getting swam on top of. Then, after he's gone past he stops out of the blue and does a breaststroke kick and kicks me in the chest. Now I'm angry and I want to grab his ankle and pull him back, but I thought better of it.

In the end this guy couldn't sight straight on his own. His missed a turn and took it too wide and I blew by him. Maybe he wasn't being an a-hole; perhaps he was just blind.
Transition 1
  • 45m
Comments:

3/17
18/206

One of the few times the run from swim exit to T1 isn't up hill. My skyrocketing HR appreciates it.
Bike
  • 30m 8s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 21.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I found out pretty quickly how not race ready I was. For the first four miles it was hard breathing and a pounding heart rate. I wanted to just tuck in and settle down but I found myself out of the saddle a few times trying to get myself over the little hills quicker. It wasn't until the end of the second lap, down Valley pkwy, that I finally seemed to settle in. Unfortunately, at that point the bike is pretty much over.

The course ends on a fast downhill and I couldn't quite get my feet out of my shoes cleanly. When I finally did my left foot kept slipping off the top of my shoe either due to my wet feet or condensation. I couldn't pedal strong into T2 and it cost me as two guys blew by me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

7/17
31/206

After I dismounted one of my shoes popped off my pedal. So I had to jog back and get that. Looks like I need to tighten that back up again.
What would you do differently?:

Shoes didn't go on first. The non-essential visor did. I can always run with that. out of transition.
Run
  • 20m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The run starts up hill and I'm just dying. Breathing heavy, high HR, not feeling fast at all. A 17 year old kid who was playing yo yo with me on the bike blew by me here. The first two miles are slow, but, like the bike, as I neared the end of the run I start to find my groove. This was helpful as it allowed me to take full advantage of the downhill sprint finish.

I also witnessed a girl cut the course right in front of me on lap two. She'd been behind me since the start of my first lap, so I know she knew where she was going. Not sure if it was intentional or if she just zoned out and missed where she was going. I was going to say something to her as I passed her, but she had headphones in. I told someone after I finished but I wasn't going to concern myself with it; it was a duathlon relay that didn't steal a win/award away from someone else.
Post race
Warm down:

The race organizers were giving away a ton of stuff after the race. I ended up snagging a pair of Oakley sunglasses that were tossed into the crowd were I was standing and they happened to bounce through many hands before I ended up with them. I then picked up a $25 dollar gift certificate to Red Robin for winning my age group, and then got even luckier when they drew my bib number as the winner of a new transition backpack.

99% of the time you win nothing at these sort of giveaways, other times you get really lucky. Today I guess it was my turn. In the end I may donate/giveaway the transition backpack. I already have a nice big one and I'm sure there's someone who'd love it more than I would.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For the last few months I've been mostly exercising, instead of training. That was apparent today when I tried to perform a certain way and my body didn't respond accordingly.

Event comments:

A great race, especially for a sprint. The race director, and the whole race committee, are super. Great communication with athletes before, during and after the race. You can tell that every detail of the race has been thought over meticulously. I never do races for the post race food and awards, but this year's giveaways from sponsors were awesome.

Last updated: 2016-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:05 | 547 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 11/206
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Small rectangular pond. Counter-clockwise swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 45:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:08 | 10.6 miles | 21.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 21/206
Wind: None
Course: Up hill start. Two laps around Honeywell. Flat/rolling terrain.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:39 | 03.11 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 16/206
Course: Two lap course. Uphill start, downhill finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-08-31 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Cedar Creek Triathlon

2016-08-31 1:36 PM
in reply to: #5197278

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cedar Creek Triathlon

Great job! Race seasons don't always work out but it sounds like you got a good one in! 

2016-09-06 9:20 AM
in reply to: #5197278

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Cedar Creek Triathlon
Nice job Mike, I totally understand the exercising vs training aspect, I seem to be right there as well although for no particular reason. I'll guess the swim effort impacted the first part of your bike more than think, you front of the pack swimmers don't get to duke it out as often as we do back in the pack, seems every time you get kicked, swam over, or squeezed, the natural reaction is to double down on the effort in an attempt to leave the offenders in your wake.

Sounds like a great event, I've wanted to race it but the timing has never worked out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedar Creek Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cedar Creek Triathlon

Started by dprocket
Views: 1117 Posts: 1

2015-08-30 10:14 PM dprocket

Cedar Creek Triathlon

Started by reecealan
Views: 1168 Posts: 1

2015-08-30 11:48 AM reecealan

Cedar Creek Spring Duathlon

Started by TJHammer
Views: 1038 Posts: 1

2015-04-13 12:15 PM TJHammer

Cedar Creek Triathlon

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1487 Posts: 2

2014-09-11 1:18 PM Barkeep

Cedar Creek Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1299 Posts: 2

2014-09-10 2:23 PM m.a.burghart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race