General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last call for advice I still have time to do something with. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-04 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: Last call for advice I still have time to do something with.
Ok, I am 13 weeks away from my first and last IM. I am doing the HITS Palm Springs full on Dec 3rd.

Here is my journey. I started four and a half years ago. Then age 56, 5’11”, 250#. Went to a local tri and got inspired to give it a try (no pun intended). Trained for a few months on a mountain bike, then got a real road bike. After 8 months of mostly riding because I tried to ramp up my running too fast and got Achilles tendonitis in both legs, I did my first sprint. But I did drop 45#, finished MOP and fell in love with the sport.

Then two weeks before my second sprint I was hit by a car and fractured my hip. Two surgeries, the second being a full hip replacement 34 months ago. I was on crutches the full six months between surgeries and two months after the replacement. In total, a year off that I didn’t want or need. Because of the surgery my doctor doesn’t want me logging a lot of miles running so I only get one shot at this.

In the past 30 months I have been riding a lot (typically five days a week), swimming 3-4 days a week and running (which I suck at) 2-3 days a week. I only run on soft surfaces except for races so treadmill, grass or soft track. I have done a few more sprints, three Olys and one half.

I am right about 185# but would like to be down to 180# as a goal race weight at least six weeks before the race.

I think I finally have my nutrition dialed in. I am riding 150 – 200 miles a week. I feel like I am mentally prepared. However, having not done one, I don’t know what I don’t know.

Any advice from those who have done a full distance race on what I should be spending these last 13 week doing? Anything special other than keep training hard and getting sufficient rest? Honestly I know I would not be where I am if not for this site and all the great contributors so even if I am on the right path and there is nothing new to add, thanks for all the help!

2016-09-04 5:44 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Last call for advice I still have time to do something with.
Congratulations on such terrific achievements in completing all those races! You can and will finish the IM, but since you don't give a lot of information about what your training is like now, so it's pretty hard to offer constructive advice. I will say this:

-consider trying shoes like Hokas that might allow extra cushioning on your back/hip/bones (but if there isn't time to do this, keep running on soft surfaces)

-keep your cadence high and your feet low to the ground to minimize landing strike effect/injury

-3 months is like 2 mini training blocks of ~4 weeks with a recovery week and taper thrown in there, so decide on what you need to put the time into and it's probably not swimming or biking...and probably is running-like run lots more and keep the distances small and tolerable, ideally 5x/week with one medLR and one LR each week

Finally, best of luck to you!
2016-09-04 6:10 PM
in reply to: #5197691

User image

, North Carolina
Maybe ad In a day or two of aqua jogging. It'll help your run fitness and also save your hips.
2016-09-04 6:22 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by dtoce

Congratulations on such terrific achievements in completing all those races! You can and will finish the IM, but since you don't give a lot of information about what your training is like now, so it's pretty hard to offer constructive advice. I will say this:

-consider trying shoes like Hokas that might allow extra cushioning on your back/hip/bones (but if there isn't time to do this, keep running on soft surfaces)

-keep your cadence high and your feet low to the ground to minimize landing strike effect/injury

-3 months is like 2 mini training blocks of ~4 weeks with a recovery week and taper thrown in there, so decide on what you need to put the time into and it's probably not swimming or biking...and probably is running-like run lots more and keep the distances small and tolerable, ideally 5x/week with one medLR and one LR each week

Finally, best of luck to you!

I did pick up some Hokas. Have a few runs with them.

As for my schedule, it looks like this:

Monday is my brick day: 1500-2000 yard swim - spin class with former pro rider generally 20-24 miles - 10k run
Tuesday is my rest day - generally easy swim
Wednesday - swim 1500-2000 yards - spin class plus extra miles generally 30 miles or more
Thursday - morning swim - 4500-5500 yards, afternoon run 10k
Friday - two hours of Sufferfest around 40 miles
Saturday - 50-60 mile ride, speed focused
Sunday - 50-60 mile ride, climb focused

Yes I know it's light on the run. :-(
2016-09-04 6:23 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Someone else suggested that. I just picked up a belt and some water shoes and will give it a try. Thanks,
2016-09-04 8:11 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Ironman racing is about surviving the long endurance day. Save as much energy as possible for as late into the race as possible. Get through the swim, Bike as hard as you want-keeping enough energy to make it through the beast known as the 'marathon' after all those things. With a prosthetic hip, you will need to make some accommodations. Run/Walk is an option. Going slower and respecting the distance is imperative. Getting as many run miles in as possible to help your muscles get ready for the 'event' is critical. Getting in as many bike miles as possible will make the run distance easier to handle.

You are light on the run, as noted, so just building miles and time on your feet is THE most important thing for your success. But even if it comes to having to walk/run-you WILL make it to the finish line. Oh, and get a few long bike rides in just to know the distance-80-100 miles, slow and steady, to know what it feels like to spin for hours and hours.

You will be an Ironman. Know it. Believe it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last call for advice I still have time to do something with. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Advice on Timing of my last brick before the race in 5 days

Started by WhiteCatzs
Views: 1069 Posts: 10

2015-07-03 11:36 PM jennifer_runs

Something awesome happened on my last run

Started by CycloneVM
Views: 856 Posts: 7

2014-01-16 5:46 PM Hot Runner

First time calling for a ride (marathon advice needed)

Started by thndrcloud
Views: 1061 Posts: 19

2011-09-21 2:07 PM TriMyBest

Having a hard time taking time off training

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1376 Posts: 7

2010-07-03 10:53 AM Karl Hungus

Having shop order a compact crank today....finalists and need some advice

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 1777 Posts: 15

2010-04-30 12:30 PM tri42
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???