United States
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 01m 29s
Overall Rank = 5/112
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Drank 3 Ensures and went to race site and set everything up. Went to restroom a lot as always. Ran back into car to warm up. Was 50 that morning. Not used to the cold at all yet. Brought water and Gus to have before hand but sort of forget to use them. Ooops.
Event warmup:

Was cold. Stayed in car and put on wetsuit on while walking around 10 minutes before my race.
Swim
  • 37m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Slower than I wanted to be. I have no idea what the official distance was. They said 2 .5 mile loops but in previous years they said it was really .6 miles. We had to run ~150m for the 2nd loop so your guess is as good as mine. My watch was able to pick up my HR on the run part: 170. Super freaking high. Swimming is not an aerobic thing for me, even in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

New wetsuit. Nothing like a race to test new equipment! Reviews said it was hard to get off. I believe them. Couldn't do the foot on leg + pull to get out. Had to use hands to get it off heal.
Bike
  • 2h 37m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Was good about this bike finally. FINALLY kept to my drinking and eating schedule and my run was way better this race than other ones by a long shot. It's amazing how not starting a run dehydrated helps you.

A fun thing that happened on the bike was a stray dog was chasing me for 1/4 of a mile on the bike. That was fun because no one was around me for miles so if he did get me, no one would be able to stop it. Wasn't liking that part at all...
What would you do differently?:

Could have drank just a little more. I was aiming for 230 power but with some of the downhills, I just couldn't pedal sometimes so I took a slight hit there. Still pleased that I stayed with my power plan and didn't chase people down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Run
  • 1h 43m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Out of the gate I was running a 7:00 /mile pace and was increasing speed. HR was in Z2 but I know what happens with this. I immediately put an end to that nonsense and managed to slow down and did the first lap at 7:24. The goal for this run was to keep a 7:30 to get to my goal of a sub-5 hour HIM. I started to break down at mile 7 and I'm betting it's because I didn't have any gels. I finally took a gel at mile 8 or 9. It was a gut bomb but with some water and a minute of walking, I felt great but I still was slowing down. My HR wasn’t crazy high, it was still low Z3 so I think I was just tired. My running game isn't what it used to be but this is still one of my best, if not my best, HIM runs.

I felt like I could maybe go faster at the expense of using my leg muscles more with an increased chance of cramps. I was sort of just doing my comfortable pace to where it was hard but not too hard since I wasn't to make sure I didn't blow up again. This is a pacing thing for me. I always aim high and fall sort with the run part.

What would you do differently?:

Try to push it more like I planned on the 2nd half. I was 1:29 above my goal for this HIM. If I would have done that, I would have got 1st in my AG instead.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a Gatoraid, Mountain Dew, and a water. That MD was amazing! I just stood in the shade for 10 minutes in the finishing area. I felt horrible and tired. I finally grabbed a slice of stale pizza and moved to a picnic area and massaged my legs for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills and wind on the bike. I knew it was a hilly course but the winds seemed to never stop.

Event comments:

I had a horrible experience with a Legend 100 race 2 years ago. The RD or whoever was a complete a**hole to people and always yelling at people, even before the race. I was cramping up after the bike and decided to quit and the guy came over and was yelling at me saying I was trying to cheat because I went back to transition. Pretty obvious I was in pain with cramps all over and I was just trying to get back in to get my stuff and drop my chip off. He came over and angrily took my chip. I'm thinking that douchebag is gone because this was a much better experience!

People were very nice and it was very well organized. The medals are amazing, if not ridiculous large, and my AG award is a sweet piece of carved medal. I like the people who raved this too. Normally the fast people at a race will never acknowledge you, even after you tell them good job. This time I gave out plenty of good jobs to people and even got a few from the people who were faster than me and beat me, which is a first. Think I'll do this one again next year. Good end of the season race.

Last updated: 2016-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:43 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/112
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: 2: .5 or .6 loops. Unknown what true distance was + a 150M beach run between loops.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:37:29 | 56 miles | 21.34 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 151 with 222 power
Wind: Strong
Course: Nothing. But. Hills! OK, maybe 5 miles wasn't a hill but this was a hilly and very windy course. I expected 1mph faster for the power I was putting out + my aero gear.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:43:08 | 13.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Performance:
7:25-8:31 for laps. Avg HR was 159.
Course: 4 loops with some slight hills and part of it on gravel. The hills weren't too bad. They were hills but they were short. First course I've raved on that actually had a good amount of shade on it!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-09-11 11:22 PM

User image

Subject: Ad Astra Triathlon

2016-09-14 11:25 AM
in reply to: #5198403

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Ad Astra Triathlon

Great race! I really wondered about that swim course distance; just looking at it from the shore it seemed off or maybe a little long given people's times. I've raced/trained those roads when that wind is blowing and it is not always fun, but you did well regardless. Congrats.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ad Astra Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festivals (My First Triathlon, My Next Triathlon)

Started by JBD
Views: 1330 Posts: 1

2007-05-14 8:13 PM JBD

PlayTri Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon

Started by davidb
Views: 2254 Posts: 6

2006-05-16 11:11 AM mginani

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon

Started by hobiecat18m
Views: 2079 Posts: 2

2006-04-17 2:53 PM drdi

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon