General Discussion Race Reports! » Litchfield Triathlou Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Litchfield Triathlou Olympic Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Litchfield, Illinois
United States
RaceMaker Productions
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 51m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Had eggs and toast for breakfast with half a pot of coffee. Drank a coke on the way to the venue because I slept terribly the night before. Arrived at venue at 6:15, checked in, set up transition, wandered around a little until time to put on wetsuit. Donned wetsuit and then went to beach to warm up.
Event warmup:

Swam about 150 yds in wetsuit and then hung out in the water until the pre-race meeting. Could have swum more, but the race meeting was supposed to start. It was 20 minutes late...grrrrr
Swim
  • 39m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim started pretty bad. Felt like my wetsuit was crushing my chest, so I ended up unzipping it a little bit after the first couple hundred yards. It let water in, so I'm sure it slowed me down, but at least I finished the swim, which I didn't think I was going to be able to do if the wetsuit was zipped all the way up.

Part of this swim time includes the run to transition area--it was a long run that included two flights of stairs.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear the wetsuit--I don' think I really needed it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

T1 was okay, faster than last year by two minutes. Had a little trouble getting wetsuit off my legs, but not too bad. Took a little time to fold wetsuit into a bag to protect it from the sun.

Practice removing wetsuit more
Bike
  • 1h 22m 2s
  • 40 kms
  • 29.26 km/hr
Comments:

Bike was great, best bike split I've had all year. I was worried about it since I have ridden hardly at all since my HIM six weeks ago, but it was good. Got to cheer on a lot of people--everyone in fact. I was a cheering fool on that bike.

nothing--it was a great bike
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Probably could have been faster, but some butthead put his bike at the end of the rack, right over my setup, so I had to keep reaching through his bike to get my stuff. Real punk move if you ask me. Took the time to change my socks in hopes of preventing blisters (it worked!).

not so much me, but it sure would have been nice if that bike wasn't there. Probably should have made myself eat a gu too, because they don't go down well during the run.
Run
  • 1h 33m 28s
  • 10 kms
  • 09m 21s  min/km
Comments:

This was rough. Started with 4:1 run:walk after initial acclimation to running. Did pretty well for first two miles (14:3x and 13:4x miles), then wheels started to come off. Walked most of the giant hilll to the turn around spot. Did some running intervals on the way back with another racer (Kenny). Ended up sending him along because he was trying to go too fast for me.

There wasn't much I could do differently given the course, the day, and my training.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, I wandered around a little looking for food and drinks (of which there were hardly any) and then went and sat in transition and drank warm powerade while eating a very melted granola bar. Gathered my gear and then went for a shower. I only half listened to the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Under trained in last six weeks after HIM.

Event comments:

Not a great race. The race itself started 20 minutes late, which threw off my warmup schedule and pre-race eating schedule. Swim and bike courses were okay. Run course is very hilly and there are only three aid stations about 1.5 miles apart. There could be more, especially with the difficulty of the course. They had packed up the HEED by the time I got to the last aid station, which sucked. Post race activities were a joke. The only thing available to drink was water, which you had to drink out of a 5oz Dixie cup (needless to say the line to get water was LONG). The only think they had to eat was a pile of granola bars. Mine was completely melted. I've done this race twice, and this year was terrible compared to last. I doubt I will be back next year.

Last updated: 2016-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:40 | 1500 meters | 02m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 6/
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Large rectangle. Hard to see the buoys on the first leg, because the sun was glaring across the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:22:02 | 40 kms | 29.26 km/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: out and back, repeated twice. Flat, fast and only a few turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:33:28 | 10 kms | 09m 21s  min/km
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Long out and back, one loop. Very hilly with two large hills. The last half of the out section was all uphill. Slow slog up that hill to water station.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2016-09-12 8:14 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: Litchfield Triathlou Olympic Triathlon

2016-09-14 7:39 AM
in reply to: #5198425

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Litchfield Triathlou Olympic Triathlon

Great finish to the season and that's a quick bike split!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Litchfield Triathlou Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Litchfield Triathlou Olympic Triathlon

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 1489 Posts: 3

2015-09-16 9:15 AM firebert

Litchfield Triathlou Sprint Triathlon

Started by Knuckleball Rob
Views: 1414 Posts: 2

2014-09-29 8:59 AM Knuckleball Rob

Litchfield Triathlou Sprint Triathlon

Started by Knuckleball Rob
Views: 1421 Posts: 5

2012-09-18 11:22 AM Syaotblh

Litchfield TriathLOU - Sprint Course

Started by Dvick
Views: 1176 Posts: 1

2011-09-18 3:02 PM Dvick

Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 1655 Posts: 1

2006-08-07 9:41 AM kaburns1214
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.