General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Coaches Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-12 9:50 AM

Subject: Swimming Coaches
So I completed my first triathlon this past Saturday and loved it! I finished 1st in my AG and 3rd overall beginner female. It's a miracle that I finished so well considering how awful my swim time was (I left the water in 14th place out of 18). I spent hours in the pool trying to get ready and even had a couple of OW swims, but all of that went out the window when I ran into the yellow flag waters of the Gulf. I was in a panic for the entire swim and did not implement any of my training. I have watched videos and read articles about swimming, but I am at the point that I feel I would benefit from having someone coach me, at least for a month or two to get me on the right track. I have Googled swim coaches trying to find someone in my area with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding a good coach?

Thanks!

2016-09-12 9:56 AM
in reply to: TriShel

New user

Subject: RE: Swimming Coaches
Originally posted by TriShel

So I completed my first triathlon this past Saturday and loved it! I finished 1st in my AG and 3rd overall beginner female. It's a miracle that I finished so well considering how awful my swim time was (I left the water in 14th place out of 18). I spent hours in the pool trying to get ready and even had a couple of OW swims, but all of that went out the window when I ran into the yellow flag waters of the Gulf. I was in a panic for the entire swim and did not implement any of my training. I have watched videos and read articles about swimming, but I am at the point that I feel I would benefit from having someone coach me, at least for a month or two to get me on the right track. I have Googled swim coaches trying to find someone in my area with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding a good coach?

Thanks!

I'm hijacking here, and I'm sorry you were disappointed in the swim - but I came here this morning specifically to stalk you. I saw who I thought was you in the results of the Alabama Coastal Tri. Your finish time was great and you should be SO PROUD. AWESOME!! Congrats!!! Woohoo!!!
2016-09-12 12:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I had a horrible time trying to find a swim coach. I looked online, I contacted the athletic departments at two area universities, and I enquired at the gym. I had sessions with a couple of people, and they ended up being not at all what they advertised. Two people claimed to be coaches, but they were really just beginner instructors. Neither of them had ever swam competitively, and one of them could not believe that I could swim more than 2000 yards at a time--after all, he couldn't. Another was obsessed with trying to teach me flip turns but wouldn't give any feedback about how I was actually swimming. I was surprisingly difficult to find someone to fix my stroke and write out a couple of workouts for me.

Then this summer I was swimming laps at the gym. I saw a couple sharing a lane, and it was obvious that they knew what they were doing. I went up to them and just asked if either of them had ever coached. It turns out they were both D1 college swimmers before graduating a few years ago, and the woman had coached before. She has been amazingly helpful.

So, there are conventional routes that you can go, but just keep your eyes open and be willing to ask for help. That was what worked for me.

And congratulations on a great first race!

Edited by happyscientist 2016-09-12 12:11 PM
2016-09-12 2:03 PM
in reply to: carin1976

Carin1976 I asked someone if they were you while waiting for the race to start - they looked at me like I was crazy, lol! Thanks so much - I am tickled that I finished strong, I am just determined to master the swim!!!! How did you feel about the race?
2016-09-12 2:13 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

That's great advice - I actually know a couple who train at the pool at my gym and they have given me some pointers. They are SO busy though that I hate to take up their time. They both work full time plus she teaches aerobics classes at the gym so I know their time is precious. I think I may ask them if they had a coach when they started training for tri's. Maybe they will know of someone..
2016-09-12 3:53 PM

New user

Carin1976 I asked someone if they were you while waiting for the race to start - they looked at me like I was crazy, lol! Thanks so much - I am tickled that I finished strong, I am just determined to master the swim!!!! How did you feel about the race?

Ha! Too funny!

I enjoyed the race. I felt like, for a beginner, the course was good b/c it's flat and pretty low pressure. The swim was intimidating b/c the water was rough, but I did better w/ the swim than I thought I was going to. Having so many people around me while trying to swim was also difficult to get used to. I'm going to do Tri the Gulf in Dauphin Island in October. If you haven't looked in to that one yet, check it out - also a sprint, but a little bit longer than AL Coastal Tri it On. Seriously though, awesome job! I was really excited when I saw the results.

2016-09-12 6:24 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I'm not really sure where you are located, but I used Gary Fahey (http://www.strokedocswim.com/) in Miami. Sometimes he does clinics elsewhere though. I improved drastically with him, but I was willing to put in the time between lessons to cement his changes into muscle memory. He's a total immersion coach so he might be able to connect you to another coach in your area if you contact him.
2016-09-12 7:49 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Thanks!

It sounds like you could benefit from a coach specifically to help you learn how to manage your emotions & stress under conditions. Dinah Mistilis is a swim coach & emotional intelligence coach that does skype consults and I've referred many of my clients to her. look her up at Discovery Aquatics in Moorseville, NC.
2016-09-13 8:11 AM

I am doing Tri the Gulf as well! We'll have to meet up!
2016-09-13 8:19 AM

If you have not registered yet for Tri the Gulf there is a discount code that will save you $10 TOA16.
2016-09-13 9:59 AM
in reply to: #5198442

User image

Talk to Scott! I believe he goes by k9car363 on here. He's helped me out a lot this year! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Coaches Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim coach or triathlon coach?

Started by afhill
Views: 1755 Posts: 15

2013-07-22 7:09 PM Blastman

Swim drills with ankle band = new swim coach

Started by yazmaster
Views: 4853 Posts: 25

2012-04-28 2:17 PM AdventureBear

Swim coach or self coach?

Started by weizilla
Views: 1743 Posts: 18

2011-11-15 9:08 AM pga_mike

Swim Coaches or those trying to give swim advice

Started by RBesecke
Views: 1018 Posts: 5

2011-06-15 7:22 AM kajinsky

Tri Swim Coach Swim Workshop 9/11/04- Denver, CO

Started by Tri Swim Coach
Views: 1030 Posts: 5

2004-08-23 11:49 AM Tri Swim Coach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : July 17, 2005
I highly recommend hiring a coach, if you are a beginner or just looking to become a better swimmer.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.
date : August 31, 2004
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.

date : August 31, 2004
Interval training is used to describe the system of multiple repeat swims used in most swim training programs. The best way to improve aerobic endurance is through short rest periods.