General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Monster Triathlon - First Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-12 2:14 PM

Subject: Monster Triathlon - First Tri
Hello,
I will be doing my first Tri in October. I'm trying to make sense of the hill map. Based on the map, it looks like the hills are straight up and straight down.
Is there a good resource to get some understanding on how steep those hills actually are?

Thanks!

Attachments
----------------
Keller_Monster_Bike-3-loops.pdf (458KB - 22 downloads)

2016-09-12 2:55 PM
in reply to: fabfindz05

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon - First Tri

I've done that course before (for the St. Patty's tri in March). The hills are not bad at all. St. Patty's was my first tri, and I was (and remain) a poor cyclist. I didn't have to get out of my saddle for any of the hills. 

If you live in the Keller area, go drive the course. It's worth knowing at least what it looks like. Good luck and have fun out there.

2016-09-12 2:58 PM

Originally posted by fabfindz05

Hello,
I will be doing my first Tri in October. I'm trying to make sense of the hill map. Based on the map, it looks like the hills are straight up and straight down.
Is there a good resource to get some understanding on how steep those hills actually are?

Thanks!

Yep. Straight up. It's why they call them Clif Bars.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

The best resource, get out there and do it. If you've got a smartphone, there's lots of apps that will draw those pictures for you.
Mapmyride
Strava

Go out and ride a course you consider 'hilly' or one with one or two hills you think of as brutal, but doable.
And, of course, it's all scalable. So, you need to ride the same overall distance, otherwise the scale's all off.

Even then, you'll not be able to sort it out specifically. But, you'll be reasonably assured that you won't encounter anything that isn't entirely doable.
2016-09-12 2:58 PM
in reply to: LundyLund

Thanks! I'm in Dallas, but might have a free Sunday to check out the course.
2016-09-12 4:01 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Originally posted by jhaack39

Originally posted by fabfindz05

Hello,

Thanks!

Yep. Straight up. It's why they call them Clif Bars.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

The best resource, get out there and do it. If you've got a smartphone, there's lots of apps that will draw those pictures for you.
Mapmyride
Strava

Go out and ride a course you consider 'hilly' or one with one or two hills you think of as brutal, but doable.
And, of course, it's all scalable. So, you need to ride the same overall distance, otherwise the scale's all off.

Even then, you'll not be able to sort it out specifically. But, you'll be reasonably assured that you won't encounter anything that isn't entirely doable.

Haha! They certainly look like cliff on that map!
I've done a few rides with ridiculous hills (IMO). Though I contemplated getting off my bike and walking, I didn't die and finished in a decent amount of time I should be good. I have another month before the race.
2016-09-13 12:14 PM

User image

They look ridiculous but that could be because it is so flat otherwise. If you look closer, none of the climbs is more than 50ft over a quarter mile or so.

2016-09-13 12:20 PM
in reply to: notquitethere

Thanks! I'm VERY green at reading these. I've done plenty of hills in my training, so I think I should be ok.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Monster Triathlon - First Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First tri, First Post, First batch of questions :)

Started by Chris(NJ)
Views: 1422 Posts: 11

2011-07-29 8:41 AM japarker24

First Tri -- First DNF

Started by feagajk
Views: 1441 Posts: 14

2005-08-22 1:39 PM Mottyl

First Team and First Tri

Started by Carl Sohn
Views: 810 Posts: 1

2005-03-14 8:13 PM Carl Sohn

First Olympic TRI (First TRI Period!!!!)

Started by satchmo72
Views: 1307 Posts: 12

2004-09-08 12:30 AM Tori

Finished my FIRST in my first tri!

Started by HBchinadoll
Views: 970 Posts: 3

2004-05-28 3:37 PM Whizzer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
comments : 0
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.