General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-26 12:18 PM

Subject: First time IM
Hi all,

After mostly running long distance I got an idea through my head which was that I of course have to do an IM so i signed up for a race in aug 2017. Bought a tt bike and started going out on longer bike rides. Have been riding now 2-3 times/week doing 70+km once a week. Previously i only did some interval training on the bike at my gym and some spinning so it of course takes some getting used to. As for the swimming i went to swimming classes for 5 years when i was younger so have the basic techniques covered even though they need some brushing up on.
Am planning on doing a HIM about 8 weeks before and will also do a 300km bike race as well as a few marathons and other races.
Was hoping to get some good tips from everyone here on things to focus on to complete and hopefully enjoy not only the race but the journey as well.
Currently doing 9 workouts/week where I am now focusing on my weakest part which is swimming and doing that three times/week and running/cycling twice a week along with 2 or three weightlifting/prehab workouts. Planning on doing this for 6 weeks then switching focus to cycling for 6 weeks and finally running.
Thankful for any help!

2016-09-26 2:23 PM
in reply to: oscaro

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: First time IM

Recommend using one of the training plans on the BT site. Mike Ricci (D3 muti sport coaching) has excellent plans on this site. He is also available for coaching.
2016-09-27 8:10 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Ditto.

Just doing the training is important (and 9 times per week is decent), but you need to insure you are doing the right amount of training. Following a plan will help make sure you have enough mileage under your belt for the IM.
2016-09-27 8:18 AM
in reply to: oscaro

User image

Sounds like you have an idea of how you want to get where you are going.

You'll find lots of tips here and on other sites.

It can also be a good idea to find some folks who have done an Ironman near you to help you on your journey. If they have done the actual race you are registered for I tend to thing that's even better.

Good luck. If you're new to open water swimming try to get lots of experience there before your race. It's a great journey. Have fun.
2016-09-28 3:11 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

Originally posted by miamiamy

Sounds like you have an idea of how you want to get where you are going.

You'll find lots of tips here and on other sites.

It can also be a good idea to find some folks who have done an Ironman near you to help you on your journey. If they have done the actual race you are registered for I tend to thing that's even better.

Good luck. If you're new to open water swimming try to get lots of experience there before your race. It's a great journey. Have fun.

Yes I feel I at least have laid some groundwork, but of course a long way to go. Set up a rough training plan with my trainer last week where we basically outlined the focus during different weeks and a few key training sessions I should regularly do. There is actually one guy at my gym that has done the race so can ask him for some tips.
I am new to open water swimming but unfortunately it is already very cold in the water where I live. Will however have a lot of training before the race.
Originally posted by GODAWGS

Recommend using one of the training plans on the BT site. Mike Ricci (D3 muti sport coaching) has excellent plans on this site. He is also available for coaching.

Thanks will check them out!
Originally posted by scottficek

Ditto.

Just doing the training is important (and 9 times per week is decent), but you need to insure you are doing the right amount of training. Following a plan will help make sure you have enough mileage under your belt for the IM.

If 9/week is decent I don't want to know how much is considered good :D
Seems like consensus it hop on a plan so I will listen to you all more experienced triathletes and do just that!

Had one last question regarding the run, I imagine since your legs will be tired from hours of biking that it will be you muscles that drive you forward in the marathon, my idea was because of that to do a lot of uphill training which at least in my head simulates the run better. Does this seem reasonable?
2016-09-29 3:33 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

Originally posted by GODAWGS

agree with this. lots of good plans. I'm doing my first IM next year. I've done 2 HIMs with a 3rd coming up. Decided to get a coach for my IM effort.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First time IM - 16 hour - Hydration question

Started by sstudham
Views: 1179 Posts: 5

2015-09-03 1:13 PM dmbfan4life20

First time IM Special Needs Bag

Started by Alekssdunn
Views: 2219 Posts: 13

2015-08-05 12:26 PM tedjohn

First time triathlete.....first time ironman......worried.

Started by adamrlowe
Views: 3860 Posts: 14

2014-07-16 2:26 PM Jason N

First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

Started by firemedic001918
Views: 2547 Posts: 11

2014-07-28 10:47 AM KSH

Recovery time from your first IM

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 2582 Posts: 22

2010-07-12 3:13 PM Jdub532
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 7, 2008
author : javierg
comments : 3
New to triathlons? Don't know what equipment is really necessary? This article describes the basic swim, bike and run equipment needs for first time triathletes.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.