General Discussion Race Reports! » Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chase, Maryland
United States
Elite Race Management
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 52s
Overall Rank = 17/145
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and packed up my car (I live in the city so can't put my bike in at night or anything). Race was about 30 minutes away and I got there at 6:30am. Got my bike checked out b/c my breaks were really tight after getting a checkup last week. Set up my transition area, ate some yogurt and a banana, drank some water and walked around for a little, chatting with people and such.
Event warmup:

Did a job around the parking lot. Legs were feeling a little tight. Stretched a little, then chatted with people while trying to determine if I wanted to wear a wetsuit or not.
Swim
  • 18m
  • 750 meters
  • 36m / 1500 meters
Comments:

The water was really rough and I had not practiced in that at all. I went hard in the beginning to be one of the first to the first kayak. The kayaker had to go rescue someone though so there was some confusion on where to go. Lots of people needed rescued and DNF the swim. The water was icy and treacherous in my opinion, and I'm a pretty experienced swimmer.
My sighting was really bad. I was aiming for this triangular buoy, and realized after awhile that I was basically in the middle of the swim course, and had to go against the waves again to get back to the next buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, or stick to someone in front of me. I kind of went out on my own and probably ended up swimming an extra 100 or so.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

This was my first time using a wetsuit, and I didn't practice with it at all. Definitely got my feet stuck, so could've been a little faster. I was also kind of dead after that swim, so I walked with the bike for some before it was time to mount.

A little back story with the wetsuit. I went to pick my packet up Friday and found out the water temps had dropped 5 degrees since the day before. Two more degrees and it would be wetsuit required. I had to scramble to find someone with one, which I did and I'm forever grateful to her. It really was a huge advantage to have it in those conditions. I told my mom it'd make a great Christmas present :-) Then I will get to practice with it more!
Bike
  • 38m 31s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 21.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike. One girl did pass me, but otherwise only a few men did. I was usually able to hang on to someone who passed me for a couple minutes before they got away from me.

Train more! I only went out once before the race. I need to practice in different conditions too. It was so wet and I was really scared on any turns. Luckily there weren't that many.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

My feet were soaked and my toes were totally numb, so I took a little time to dry them off and change my socks.

Nothing, that extra time probably helped my run.
Run
  • 24m 50s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 58s  min/km
Comments:

I did not feel good at all, but kept looking down at my watch and it was showing a really good pace. My legs were pretty dead though. Because it was an out and back, I could tell I was in 4th place, so I was trying to catch the girl in front of me but she was too far ahead. Spent a lot of time trying not to run into people going the other direction. There definitely wasn't adequate space for the runners being that it was an out and back.

Nothing. Even though I didn't feel great, I knew I was running pretty much as hard as I could at that time. I will definitely train a little more next time, and do some bricks to get used to that dead leg feeling.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do much, and felt it later for sure. I was focused on getting warm, as I was still soaked and it was chilly out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on the bike (and definitely could've trained on the swim better), and not sighting well on the swim.

Event comments:

Overall I felt great about this race. I gave myself two months to train and think I did a good job focusing on the run portion and the swim, although in the future I will definitely start a little earlier. Other than the small running area, I though the race was very well organized and everyone was very friendly and helpful. The ladies I met while warming up/waiting to start and after the finish were all very nice and I look forward to seeing them at future races.

I also want to note that the overall rank I put above includes the men. I got 4th overall for the women, but they didn't give rankings specific for men and women for the swim, bike and run.

This was my first triathlon in two years and I am re-hooked. Excited to have a full season in 2017!

Last updated: 2016-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:00 | 750 meters | 36m / 1500meters
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 17/145
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Hammerman Beach, did a loop in the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:31 | 13.8 miles | 21.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 28/145
Performance: Good
I think the race was actually under 13 miles, but 13.8 is automatically in there.
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty flat, VERY wet
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:50 | 05 kms | 04m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 23/145
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat, out and back, but we had a very narrow area for runners, as we were sharing the road with bikers. Could barely fit two people wide on the run course, and it was an out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-10-03 9:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course

2016-10-03 11:38 AM
in reply to: #5200580

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course
2016-10-03 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Awesome job, 4th place!!

Sounds like you made the best of rough conditions - I didn't even like driving in that weather we had Saturday.  That's a great bike time, too.

2016-10-03 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Awesome job!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by nicole14e
Views: 1757 Posts: 12

2014-10-10 7:43 AM nicole14e

Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by cmrey528
Views: 815 Posts: 1

2014-10-05 9:13 AM cmrey528

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by sedulus
Views: 1509 Posts: 2

2007-05-26 6:00 AM drdi

2007 JCC Indoor Triathlon (sprint course)

Started by shepherd
Views: 1597 Posts: 3

2007-02-11 6:24 PM shepherd

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by van_paulus
Views: 2114 Posts: 2

2006-07-03 7:48 AM drdi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.