General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Popsracer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-10-05 2:46 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: Popsracer
You may or may not know that our friend Steve aka Popsracer is losing his battle with cancer.

The manatee group has put together a fundraising page on the American Cancer Society website
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=fund&fr_id=9910&pxfid=2095060

There is a guestbook if you'd like to dedicate a race to him and/or share a story. It will also load pictures - just message me and we can post it.

We have also ordered silicone bracelets to wear while we dedicate our races. If anyone wants a few, send me a message and I can send them - and if you want to send me $5 for them that's cool too if not, that'll be my donation.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions to make this a huge success.

Thanks.

(20160928_193852.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20160928_193852.jpg (632KB - 9 downloads)

2016-10-05 4:00 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Popsracer

sending you a PM, check your inbox please

2016-10-05 11:25 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
very sad to hear.
2016-10-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Very sad to hear.  Steve was a great asset to this forum and will be missed.

2016-10-06 6:35 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Brooklyn, New York
This is sad news. He was very cordial and kind to me when I first joined this site. Very saddening to hear
2016-10-06 6:53 PM

User image

Bronze member

Heartbreaking, not at all what I expected to read when I opened this post. Tragic loss to our BT community and beyond. 

2016-10-07 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

You may or may not know that our friend Steve aka Popsracer is losing his battle with cancer.

The manatee group has put together a fundraising page on the American Cancer Society website
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=fund&fr_id=9910&pxfid=2095060

There is a guestbook if you'd like to dedicate a race to him and/or share a story. It will also load pictures - just message me and we can post it.

We have also ordered silicone bracelets to wear while we dedicate our races. If anyone wants a few, send me a message and I can send them - and if you want to send me $5 for them that's cool too if not, that'll be my donation.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions to make this a huge success.

Thanks.

Randee
Thanks for alerting the BT crowd.
PM sent.
2016-10-07 8:24 AM

User image

Oakville

Very sad news indeed.  I didn't know Steve personally but always appreciated his responses and comments in BT.

2016-10-07 8:38 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Sorry to hear; very sad news.

Shane
2016-10-07 8:45 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro

Damn!  Very sorry to hear this news.

2016-10-07 9:22 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Scott71

Very sad news indeed.  I didn't know Steve personally but always appreciated his responses and comments in BT.

I've always marveled at how this site has allowed me 'connections' to people whose path I would never have crossed. I 'met' Popsracer on this site years ago when discussing racing and training. The 100 miles in a month club and the Daniel's VDOT running threads were terrific and it's in those smaller threads where you get to have a lot of conversation. Those threads were back in 2012-2013 when BT was a bit more fun. I was just learning triathlon and navigating my way around TT back then...

It was especially lucky for me to have been able to actually meet Steve in real life and we had a terrific dinner in the fall of 2014 when he was visiting the east coast. A night I will always remember. There are always a few people that you just want to meet based on conversations online and he was certainly one of them.

He lived up to expectations as he is a 'salt of the earth' type of guy who is all about family and living life to the fullest. No excuses or whining, just make every day count. I'm glad to have been able to meet such a gentleman.

Sarcoma sucks...

Love that guy.

2016-10-07 10:47 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
I really hate to hear this, Steve was my second BT friend when I joined the community years ago. Prayers and comfort to he and his loved ones.
2016-10-07 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
2016-10-07 2:44 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Very sad, Steve was always an even-tempered and knowledgable contributor to the BT community.
2016-10-07 6:13 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
So sad that I missed a chance to meet Steve last summer (2015). We had both planned to race at Toughman Ocean Shores in Washington State (near where he's from in Bellingham) but he decided to pass up that race to take part in a shorter local event with his son. Then just as I was heading to Calgary this past summer and thought I might propose a short meet-up en route, found out he was losing his battle with cancer.

Steve was always an inspiration and twice helped me find small races in Washington State when something didn't work out with another race. My work schedule and location really limit my racing, so it's a big deal for me when a race goes south. He suggested Chelanman when my first HIM got snowed out and it wasn't the full distance, and Lake Stevens did not work with our family vacation plans. Then Toughman after I was sick for IM Vietnam 70.3 last year and really wanted another race to see what I was capable of. He had pretty much done every race in the PNW and was a great guy to ask for advice; very generous and never got caught up in silly ego battles on threads. Those races were instrumental in my long, slow journey from beginner to Worlds.

I gave credit to Steve in the article I wrote this month, but would also like to give it here!
2016-10-08 3:55 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I will really miss Steves encouragement and his no excuses, do what you love attitude.

2016-10-12 6:02 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I can't keep up with the spam on the ACS website so I'm removing the guest book.

David Tollefson Mon, Oct 10, 2016
I had the honor of meeting Steve on a few occasions at events and get-togethers. Always a pleasure, always a smile, always encouraging.
1TT (Phil G) Sat, Oct 08, 2016
Dear, Steve (popsracer):
Even though I didn't truly know you, I have read a number of your wonderful and inspiring BT posts.
I am so very sorry that cancer could not leave you alone.
Your kind spirit will forever remain in the hearts of those that you have influenced over the years.
God bless.

Phil G. - 1TT
jmkizer Fri, Oct 07, 2016
Thank you so much for sharing your tri life with us. I always enjoyed your posts and I miss seeing you around the Manatee group.
Thinking of you and your family.
Rich Wallen Fri, Oct 07, 2016
Peace and comfort be to you and your loved ones Steve.
Dale Fri, Oct 07, 2016
Steve
Sending thoughts and prayers to you. Your smile and conversation are things I will always hold to be special.
I'm so glad I got to meet you 'in real life' rather than just a name on a site.
Peace.
Dale
cdban66 Fri, Oct 07, 2016
Steve, you truly were an example of a fully lived life. From racing to cars, to beer and especially family, you have been an example to me and many others about how we should embrace all that life has to offer.
Thank you for being you,
Noel (Metafizx) Wed, Oct 05, 2016
Dear Steve,
I've always enjoyed your posts on BT.
Even though I haven't met you, I felt your posts carried a genuine sense of who you are, a caring and nice person.
I wish your days to be comfortable as possible. You will be in my thoughts.
-Noel
trijamie Wed, Oct 05, 2016
Steve,
It's been such a pleasure getting to know you on BT. I've loved reading about your progress over the years and striving for the 100 miles per month club. I'm saddened that I never had the honor to meet you in person. Please stay strong, and I'll be thinking of you with every step in my running.
-Jamie
2016-10-12 8:36 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Huge thanks to Randee for sorting all of this.

I think I speak for many, especially those of us who knew him well, when I say I'm so saddened that I just don't have words for the grief I feel or the gratitude for his life.

One of my favorite memories is when he signed up for a women's race (he did this more than once!) and posted a pic of him doing yoga afterwards in a sea of women. I called him Nancypops after that .

Steve was an outstanding athlete who never rested on his laurels but tirelessly gave back to penguins, newcomers, general zombie-death-shufflers at the back.

2016-10-12 11:00 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I think I speak for many, especially those of us who knew him well, when I say I'm so saddened that I just don't have words for the grief I feel or the gratitude for his life.

One of my favorite memories is when he signed up for a women's race (he did this more than once!) and posted a pic of him doing yoga afterwards in a sea of women. I called him Nancypops after that .

Steve was an outstanding athlete who never rested on his laurels but tirelessly gave back to penguins, newcomers, general zombie-death-shufflers at the back.

That sentence about sums it up - he provided me an incredible amount of guidance as I went from tri beginner to injured triathlete to MOP triathlete.  He will also be remembered for relentlessly toeing the line, even when sick (including food poisoning before one of his many 5ks).  I'd bet every one of his 6K+ posts had something encouraging or helpful to say.

Oh, and his last race report, an OA win:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=535721

2016-10-12 1:19 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

One of my favorite memories is when he signed up for a women's race (he did this more than once!) and posted a pic of him doing yoga afterwards in a sea of women. 

This is hilarious

2016-10-12 1:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ugh. So sorry to hear this.

Nothing but respect for him as a long-time forum member.

2016-10-12 2:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
So very sorry to hear this sad news. Best wishes to Steve and his family and friends.

Edited by triosaurus 2016-10-12 2:58 PM
2016-10-14 6:21 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Steve once shared a story of racing a 5K in the morning on a whim with his son, followed by a full day of beer drinking festivities. 3 things he loved dearly. From his even temperment to his zest for living a full life, he is missed.

2016-10-14 10:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

Steve once shared a story of racing a 5K in the morning on a whim with his son, followed by a full day of beer drinking festivities. 3 things he loved dearly. From his even temperment to his zest for living a full life, he is missed.

Chris - this is one of my favorite memories of his, too, as well as the fun pic he took of he and his son enjoying the Oktoberfest (I think it was) festivities afterward.  I always admired his zest for life, love of trail running and his inclusion of family.  He always had a very grounded, reasonable outlook on things and was a great person to get to know, always offering sound advice on training or racing questions.

Randee - my bracelets arrived yesterday, thank you!

Cancer effing sucks.

Edited by melbo55 2016-10-14 10:05 AM
2016-10-14 12:18 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by cdban66

Chris - this is one of my favorite memories of his, too, as well as the fun pic he took of he and his son enjoying the Oktoberfest (I think it was) festivities afterward.  I always admired his zest for life, love of trail running and his inclusion of family.  He always had a very grounded, reasonable outlook on things and was a great person to get to know, always offering sound advice on training or racing questions.

Randee - my bracelets arrived yesterday, thank you!

Cancer effing sucks.

Randee-
My bracelets arrived too! Thanks again!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Popsracer Rss Feed  

of 2