General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Group Nationals - Omaha Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-13 3:27 PM

User image

Subject: Age Group Nationals - Omaha
Anyone race in Omaha last year? I just found out i qualified for 2017 and while I competed in Milwaukee, I'm not seeing any RR or much info at all about Omaha. There's still plenty of time but I'm wondering what people thought of it and if they'd recommend it.

2016-10-13 3:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Age Group Nationals - Omaha

I'm in the same boat. There's a good post on ST about it - pretty much convinced me that I'll be going. The negatives I saw were that there was a lot of traffic to get to course on race day, the T1 is incredibly long, and that the run was super hot. I'm thinking the heat won't be much of an issue as I (like you) train here in TX. Folks seemed to be positive on Omaha.

Edited by LundyLund 2016-10-13 3:57 PM
2016-10-13 6:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Age Group Nationals - Omaha
I live in Omaha and did it this year and got my e-mail saying I qualified for next year. I'm always curious what people think of this little place. Anyway, on topic:

I'll break it down of how I experienced it:

Check in:
Was super super simple. I was in and out within a few minutes. Was super surprised. The area was huge and they even put up stands for people to watch the finishers. No parking was allowed on site since it rained the night before and it was a grass parking lot, so I had to walk/ride my bike ~.5 miles to check the are. I survived... wew.

Race Morning:
Traffic sucked. I got there right when it opened and I'm glad I did. They started the race 15 minute late because so many people were late. If it rains the before or the day of, I have no idea what they will do. That will be a nightmare.

Swim:
The lake we swim at isn't known as the best lake to locals but I was surprised. They built a giant starting platform to hang off of and then go. My swim was horrible since I was leaking the entire time and literally had to stop every 3rd stroke to get that lake water out of my eyes. Was super pissed about how my goggles went from fine to crap instantly somehow. Swim was a one loop course and pretty easy.

T1:
As others said, it was LONG. I ran in my shoes and I wouldn't do this if I were you. They did have boards and such outside on transition but you still had another ~100yd to the street. My feet hurt from this. I'll be trying the shoes on bike thing next year.

Bike:
Roads were all repaved for this event. Super smooth. It's a hilly route though.

T2:
Again long

Run:
Not very interesting. Going to the stadium but the streets you're on aren't the best at all. There's better routes but I'm sure they wanted to have one interesting thing to run by.

Post race:
I was in the first wave but the last wave started like 2-3 hours after me. This meant that no one was allowed to leave until 1:30. Sooo....I was done and we just waited around for 3 hours until we could go. They have did some a pretty good food selection at the end. Water ran out at the end though.

Weather:
I kept hearing a lot of out of towners complain about the heat and humidity. It was low 80's that day in a summer that had a TON of ~100 days. So it felt nice (well...nicer) to me. Humidity was at ~60%. Yeah it was warm but it's summer. If live in a desert and aren't used to any humidity, then be prepared to be uncomfortable.

I never did a RR because I was sick during it and was 10-15+ minutes off my expected/goal time. I thought it was a good race. Everything seemed to be professionally done.

Edited by Blastman 2016-10-13 6:22 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Group Nationals - Omaha Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2008 Age Group National Championships qualification

Started by aquaholical
Views: 1451 Posts: 8

2008-06-03 7:40 PM aquaholical

USAT Age Group Nationals

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 1398 Posts: 10

2007-08-06 10:58 PM MForger18

2007 USAT age group nationals?

Started by xterratri
Views: 1366 Posts: 5

2006-11-09 5:20 PM markdills38

age group nationals results?

Started by anna banana
Views: 1078 Posts: 4

2006-07-09 8:06 PM Manatee Express

Qualifying for age-group nationals

Started by shadowfax
Views: 1422 Posts: 14

2006-05-17 5:27 AM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : September 16, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.