General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best indoor cycling options Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-18 4:26 PM

User image

Subject: Best indoor cycling options
I'm headed back to the trainer for the winter and wanted to get opinion's on the best apps. I've previously used Trainer Road and integrated the Sufferfest videos.

I see a lot of talk about Zwift but it looks like it only has one or two courses?

2016-10-18 9:08 PM
in reply to: austiry

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Best indoor cycling options
Originally posted by austiry

I'm headed back to the trainer for the winter and wanted to get opinion's on the best apps. I've previously used Trainer Road and integrated the Sufferfest videos.

I see a lot of talk about Zwift but it looks like it only has one or two courses?

Zwift is cool because it's social, and you get to race other people who are riding the trainer as well, but i believe it only has 2 courses (been a while since I played with it).

Trainer Road has more options and I've used it with the Sufferfest videos as well. Although Zwift also does programmable workouts so while you are riding the same courses, at least you can get some structured work in them.
2016-10-19 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I, like many here I'm sure, have used both Zwift and TR. Both are great in their own way. Zwift definitely takes a stronger computer to process all the graphics so if you don't have something up to those standards already you have to drop a couple bucks to upgrade. In my experience TR runs a lot smoother with virtual power compared to Zwift and there is a much larger library of workouts on TR but both programs have an easy workout creator. Zwift is fun sometimes just to get on and ride and catch people, go for KOMs or PRs and since it's integrated so well into Strava it brings that social aspect in as well as riding along with other people in real time.

I think each are $10/month with no real commitments or contracts, so try both out and see which one you like better.
2016-10-19 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I think Zwift technically has three courses with Watopia being the main course with the other two courses (Richmond and London) on rotation during the middle of the week.

Watopia is huge though and there are 6 or 8 different routes to choose from.

2016-10-19 8:22 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
You can find a group to train with too. Mine will be doing their our winter cycling program and competing for biggest gains and taunting on a private facebook group for participants
2016-10-19 8:45 AM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Sufferfest has their own app now, too.  Also like $10/month, I think.

2016-10-19 12:07 PM

User image

It also depends on what type of PC/tablet system you plan to run.  Zwift will require a modest PC or laptop due to the graphics and does not yet run on tablets (in beta now for iOS).  Something like TrainerRoad will run on almost anything as it's mostly just a workout rather than a "game."  There are other apps out there that aren't as popular like Bkool that is somewhat similar to Zwift but does run on tablets currently.

2016-10-19 1:37 PM
in reply to: Jason N

I have tried TR, Sufferfest and Zwift and they are both good but for different reasons. I am still on my KK Road Machine with garmin cadence/speed sensor.

I like TR for the huge amount of structured workouts that you can get from it. Zwift has been fun doing group rides but riding around the courses for me got pretty old quick. SF while I like them I felt like they were too high intensity for my goals so it depends on what you want to get out of them. I am trying to do a half iron so SF would not really work for that.

I do know some people upload some TR workouts to Zwfit and go from there. I ended up just doing TR because I have seen results since starting in May of 2015. My FTP was 185 and now I am at 235 with the 4 day a week programs. I am sure some of these gains are newbie gains but it has worked for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
2016-10-19 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I have to toss in Bkool.

I've used this all year for my training. Pretty much did all the rides for my Oct 1 Century on this indoors. Worked great.
2016-10-20 5:23 AM
in reply to: metafizx

Extreme Veteran
Do a search on Zwift Racing - there are quite a few teams and races throughout the week. I have yet to join Zwift - mostly due to time constraints and the TR plan that I am using.

Like others have said, Zwift has more of a social aspect to it while TR is like having a virtual coach - especially for me since I have been using their training plans.
2016-10-20 11:58 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by metafizx I have to toss in Bkool. I've used this all year for my training. Pretty much did all the rides for my Oct 1 Century on this indoors. Worked great.

What? What? A century indoors? Crazy!

2016-10-21 5:18 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I don't know about Zwift or Sufferfest, but I started using TR last December and have achieved gains I never expected to see at age 58. I dropped by HIM bike split PR from 2:50:41 to 2:29:37. TR pushes me right up to my limit and I think I get the most from my bike workouts. With TR getting their Android app up and running, I was on business travel for 2 weeks and used TR in my hotel room using my phone.

2016-10-21 9:44 AM
in reply to: #5202329

How did you use it in your hotel? You ship your bike??
2016-10-21 2:07 PM

User image

Ventura, California

After reading this thread I researched the apps presented and Trainer Road appeared to be the one that was going to work best with what I have.

I signed up, got the app on my Iphone, it picked up my heart rate strap and my speed/cadence sensor. I entered in a compatible trainer and this morning I did my first workout which was a 20min FTP test, which takes a full hour.

Wow, I was not expecting that. I sweated like I have never seated on the bike before. It had defaulted me to a 195FTP and just couldn't hang. I dropped all the way to 136, ouch. But I have a whole new respect for indoor training. Its a beautiful sunny day out with no wind and I just want to get on the trainer for another session, lol

Trainer Road worked flawlessly right out of the gate for me with no issues at all. I am using a unsupported basic trainer, but I found a supported trainer that is very similar so I just plugged that in. So my 'virtual power' numbers may not be accurate but its consistency over time that builds results so I am totally pleased.

This thread delivers! 

2016-10-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

I think you will love it as much as I do.
2016-10-24 5:07 AM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I drove 500 miles with my bike and lugged it with the trainer up the stairs. I brought my bike, trainer, plastic mat and floor fan. It was actually nice in that the AC in the hotel was better than what I have at home and I cold keep the room in the upper 60's with low humidity.

2016-10-26 3:16 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by nickster

I drove 500 miles with my bike and lugged it with the trainer up the stairs. I brought my bike, trainer, plastic mat and floor fan. It was actually nice in that the AC in the hotel was better than what I have at home and I cold keep the room in the upper 60's with low humidity.

This is hard core
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best indoor cycling options Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

school me on cycling shoe options

Started by swimbikerun81
Views: 1453 Posts: 11

2016-02-09 3:58 PM miamiamy

Indoor cycling vs real cycling Pages: 1 2

Started by Triceratops
Views: 5448 Posts: 46

2010-08-16 9:05 PM BbMoozer

Cycling Hydration Options?

Started by Winston63
Views: 1249 Posts: 9

2008-08-15 5:54 PM Winston63

workouts in a binder for indoor cycling

Started by autumn
Views: 764 Posts: 2

2006-01-08 11:13 PM AdventureBear

Indoor cycling and music Pages: 1 2

Started by bsmiz
Views: 2602 Posts: 42

2005-12-11 9:53 PM swbkrun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 3
If anyone can see the front of your shorts, you're doing it wrong.

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.