General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter Recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-20 2:48 PM

Subject: Power Meter Recommendations?
I am thinking of purchasing a power meter around Christmas time this year and wanted some feedback on some power meters. Went to DC Rainmakers site and checked them out but it is quite overwhelming. I don't mind buying used or a couple of years old if I can save some bucks that would be even better.

Currently training mostly inside with my KK Road Machine with TR and it has served me well since I started in May. I realize the VP number probably is not 100% correct but I have the same setup easy time so it is consistent which is all I care about.

Thanks for the help on this from people that are using them.

2016-10-21 6:50 AM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Power Meter Recommendations?
I highly recommend Quarq. I have 3 on my bikes and my wife has 2 on hers. In general, crank based power meters are very good, only draw backs are that you need to have the same BB standard on your bikes if you intend to move it from bike to bike and it takes a few minutes to do so (less than 5 minutes, but still...).

Virtual power will always be off... but what matters is if it's consistently off the same. I.e. if you're always 10% high, then it doesn't matter as you can still effectively train with power. The problem you will have with virtual power is when it's not consistent... that's when you really struggle to use it as the tool its designed to be.
2016-11-15 1:46 AM

I'm personally a big fan of the Stages power meters, as well as the Garmin Vectors. I've personally used both, and appreciate the simplicity of each, and the ease of transferring them from bike to bike (the stages can be a bit tricky depending on crankset preferences). A powerTap hub is also a good option, but could leave you without power if you have it on a "training" wheel that you don't normally race on. Logistically, the Vectors are the easiest in my opinion, you'd just have to convert all your pedals to Look keo stye: not a big deal if you ride Shimano SPDs, but more of an issue for the many folks on speedplay pedals.
2016-11-15 12:42 PM
in reply to: Dom@MBS

I have Shimano 105 pedals. How do you convert them to the look;keo style? I can always look it up on youtube I guess but figured I would ask.

Originally posted by Dom@MBS

I'm personally a big fan of the Stages power meters, as well as the Garmin Vectors. I've personally used both, and appreciate the simplicity of each, and the ease of transferring them from bike to bike (the stages can be a bit tricky depending on crankset preferences). A powerTap hub is also a good option, but could leave you without power if you have it on a "training" wheel that you don't normally race on. Logistically, the Vectors are the easiest in my opinion, you'd just have to convert all your pedals to Look keo stye: not a big deal if you ride Shimano SPDs, but more of an issue for the many folks on speedplay pedals.
2016-11-15 12:59 PM

So the Vector power meter would replace your existing pedals, you would just have to switch to cleats on your shoes from the Shimano SPD-SL style cleats you have now to Look Keo cleats (which are included with the pedals). The functionality of the cleats are essentially identical, just not compatible with each other.
2016-11-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: Dom@MBS

thanks and that makes perfect sense.

2016-11-17 8:16 AM

User image

, North Carolina
I wavering back and forth between Stages(105 5800) and CycleOps P1. If I go stages that money for a set of wheels. If I go pedals, I'll get more data.
2016-12-20 7:38 AM

Veteran
Indiana
Would like to hear how things turned out.

I'm a TrainerRoad virtual power guy too, and just picked up a used SRAM Red/quarq power meter.

From the TR podcasts and what I read on DC Rainmaker, my impression is that all of the major brand power meters now are pretty solid products, all have slightly different pros/cons, and their own mix of conveniences/inconveniences, but basically all of them do the job well.

If it was important to me to have power on multiple bikes, I would have gotten pedal based power meters, probably PowerTap.
Not sure I see much advantage to the double vs. single sided power meters.

What pushed me toward the Red/Quarq was mostly circumstantial:
1) got a good deal
2) don't feel the need for power on my MTB or commuter
3) {confession} I like the looks of the one-generation-ago SRAM Red graphics
4) {confession} I've been using MTB style shoes and SPD pedals/cleats for years, and wasn't eager to go shoe/cleat shopping to be compatible with pedal based power
2016-12-20 7:47 AM
in reply to: Nick B

Veteran
Indiana
Originally posted by Nick B

I wavering back and forth between Stages(105 5800) and CycleOps P1. If I go stages that money for a set of wheels. If I go pedals, I'll get more data.

Others may differ, but my impression is that nobody really knows what to do with the extra data at this point and I'm not convinced they ever will.

I'm a pretty strong believer in the TrainerRoad people and their program. Their overall take seems to be that power is the most important metric, cadence is helpful, HR has a few legit uses but mostly over-rated, and the all the other stuff like right-left balance and smoothness etc are basically interesting curiousities but not much practical application. On their podcast one time they had some examples of really high performing cyclists whose pedal dynamics data is "bad;" so maybe doesn't predict much about actual performance or how you should train.

Would be curious to know if anyone has additional insight to this.
2016-12-21 8:39 PM
in reply to: #5202588

FWIW, I have PowerTap P1s, SRAM RED Quarq, and Kickr SNAP. The P1s and Quarq are almost dead on to each other and both are higher than the SNAP by a considerable enough amount that I use them for power over the SNAP for TrainerRoad.

The only reason I have both is that I have P1s to swap between my roadie and TT and the bike I bought had a Quarq. No reason otherwise to have both and I have the Quarq for sale.
2016-12-27 12:31 PM
in reply to: DomerTriGuy

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Powertap C1.......paid $700, but got a $250 gift gard back from Art's Cyclery earlier this year. So far, I've been completely satisfied with it, but it's may first foray into the powermeter world. Seemed tough to beat for a net cost of $450.

2016-12-30 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
I'm a fan of the quarq as well; but if it's a little pricey my 2nd choice is Stages. It's a big finiky depending on the placement of the head unit; like for my road bike I had to put the garmin on the step and not out front, but on the MTB it was just fine out front. But, for the price I'm OK with that little detail.

On clearance sale from Stages I think it was less then $400 so not too bad!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter Recommendations? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power meter recommendations

Started by Miguel Runner
Views: 1292 Posts: 4

2015-01-28 12:38 PM mjschmitz

Power Tap v iBike Power Meter

Started by JonathanRohr
Views: 2794 Posts: 3

2010-11-22 12:40 PM brucemorgan

iBike power meter vs. VDO power meter

Started by whitecloud
Views: 1256 Posts: 3

2010-01-06 11:38 AM gsmacleod

iBike Power Meters & Buying a power meter used

Started by jcbolton
Views: 1114 Posts: 3

2009-08-14 8:11 PM guppie58

Power Meter recommendations

Started by crazylegs
Views: 911 Posts: 3

2005-07-30 2:21 PM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.

date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.
date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : May 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on training and racing with power meters, differences between power meters, Kona preparation, Ironman pacing and nutrition and Ironman swim seeding.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.