General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Century Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-24 12:30 PM

Subject: First Century
Did my first 100 mile ride this weekend.
Felt pretty good. I had to keep adding a few miles towards the end to get all the way to 100. I could have added lots of flat stuff, but I wasn't afraid to add some hills. Including one that's a 6% grade over 1.6 miles. I know it's not a lot to some of you....but twice in one day is a lot...and one of those was at 90 miles.

Only one hill....at mile 75...did I think I might have been beat. I knew it was going to be bad when I thought about it when I figured to include it on my route. It's only a half mile at 6%, but it starts off with a quarter mile of 10%. I don't think I've ever done more than 6% or so. Just not that much around here. For about .1 of a mile I thought...I might have to get off and walk. But, then I figured someone would drive by and see me and I would be so ashamed. I probably shouldn't have filled my water bottles down there at the bottom where there's a park.

It was really a telling day. For one, if I ever decide to go for a more than a half.....

I learned:
-I can subsist on Clif bars, Payday, and gel. I thought I'd need a ham sandwich somewhere in there. I am not ruling out a ham sandwich for future reference.
-I might currently be able to run a few miles after something like that. How many? I don't know. But I'd have some time to add to that number. I did 78 miles a few weeks ago, and didn't really relish the thought of running, crawling, walking a marathon. A lot better this week.
-It was also very interesting looking at the clock. Knowing that I finished the ride about the time I would in a full 140.3 race. Thinking of starting a 'marathon' at that time of day.....it was a bit of a paradigm shift from Olympics...and even a half. A full, for a guy like me is not....finish the race early afternoon at the latest.....have a late lunch and drive home.

2016-10-24 6:25 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: First Century
Quite a feat there. I lived on Clif Bars during my 100+ milers before IMAZ last year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Century Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My first century (+) ride plus major gel malfunction

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1403 Posts: 16

2006-06-11 9:35 PM KSH

My first Century tomorrow...

Started by snookdude
Views: 1061 Posts: 15

2006-01-29 8:48 PM snookdude

Finished my first century

Started by mscotthall
Views: 850 Posts: 7

2005-09-19 7:58 AM atree

First Century

Started by renegadebuddhacoach
Views: 643 Posts: 10

2005-09-03 10:26 PM lynda

My first Century

Started by awamser
Views: 562 Posts: 3

2004-05-03 10:58 AM umbach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Be ready for trouble out on the road

date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!