General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Most satisfying gains made Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-25 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: Most satisfying gains made
To you personally, what have been your most satisfying gains in triathlon. Swim, bike, run, weight loss, etc? Doesn't have to be a crazy fast pace that you're most proud of, maybe conquering a fear or learning to love running.

I'd say mine is the swim. I'm still a MOP swimmer but I've improved dramatically (for me) from over 2:00/100 down to 1:30 and getting quicker. While obviously there's still a lot of work to be done there just the fact I've swam that distances and paces that I have is huge for me as I remember not even being able to make it one length of the pool at the start and nearly quitting 2 minutes into my first Tri swim. As someone that never swam in life it's cool to be able to look back at the differences, and still to be incredibly jealous of the kids 1/3 my age that can fly by me. Sure the bike and run have improved over the last 5 years too, but when I got on my bike or tied my laces the first time training I didn't think I was going to die after 25 yards.

2016-10-25 8:05 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Most satisfying gains made

Great thread.

Mine was simply finishing the first triathlon following a significant head injury. I was out of the sport for a year. My first race back, swim sucked. Bike was the best I've ever had. Run was good, but tough. I was really proud of coming back from the injury, obviously very slowly, and making it through the race without any hiccups. As a bonus, I made the podium, so that didn't hurt.

2016-10-25 8:20 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Proper race execution. The more races I do, the more I realize how important, and how hard that is.
2016-10-25 8:47 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by 3mar

Proper race execution. The more races I do, the more I realize how important, and how hard that is.

That's a good one, especially nailing the nutrition aspect of the longer races. Incredibly satisfying to be able to give yourself the chance to perform at your highest level by executing all the "little" things properly.
2016-10-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Aledo, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar Proper race execution. The more races I do, the more I realize how important, and how hard that is.

Seconded. I always have multiple goals for a race. Most goals are not time-related. I always have at least one, if not more, related to execution.

2016-10-25 9:15 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Without a doubt it's going from someone who could barely do 50 yards to being able to complete a 5500 meter swim workout, plus all the related speed gains.  And I also have a LOOOOONNNGGG way to go.

Second place would be the running gains I've achieved by following a plan (Daniels Running Formula) vs. just random running.

2016-10-25 10:23 AM

User image

, North Carolina
I took up triathlon to stop running as much. Now I'm running more than ever and injury free.

As far a best performance gain losing close to 40 pounds really made me faster in all three.
2016-10-25 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jonD81 To you personally, what have been your most satisfying gains in triathlon. Swim, bike, run, weight loss, etc? Doesn't have to be a crazy fast pace that you're most proud of, maybe conquering a fear or learning to love running. I'd say mine is the swim. I'm still a MOP swimmer but I've improved dramatically (for me) from over 2:00/100 down to 1:30 and getting quicker. While obviously there's still a lot of work to be done there just the fact I've swam that distances and paces that I have is huge for me as I remember not even being able to make it one length of the pool at the start and nearly quitting 2 minutes into my first Tri swim. As someone that never swam in life it's cool to be able to look back at the differences, and still to be incredibly jealous of the kids 1/3 my age that can fly by me. Sure the bike and run have improved over the last 5 years too, but when I got on my bike or tied my laces the first time training I didn't think I was going to die after 25 yards.

It's also swimming for me, too. I was a total non-swimmer. Starting with adult lessons at 28 years old. It was HUGE learning curve but i put in a ton of effort. My first few seasons were a total struggle - i even DNF'ed on a swim - and often was second last in my AG (I counted it as a win just to finish). My last 4 tris i had absolutely no panic at all going into the swim. One was even an IM with a mass start. I am more MOP today which i am perfectly happy with - just keep on practicing and going to my tri club swim. 

So proud to be able to do it today ... 

2016-10-25 12:52 PM

Veteran
Indiana
Started swimming at age 45 and love it now. Swam IM, mile free, and 2.2 mi cable swims in various events. Still not fast, but pretty good for a non-swimmer.
2016-10-25 1:13 PM

User image

Getting my run times down.  I'm still slow by most standards but it's gotten me to I guess my most satisfying gain.

I started doing triathlons in my late 30's.  It was mostly a bucket list thing and something to do other then swim.  I quickly realized unless I was able to race into my 50's , probabl y60's that I would never podium in my AG.  Men AG 35-39, 40-44 and 45-49 were insanely fast.  Never really thought I ever had a chance to place.  I know it's a matter of who shows up but last year, my last year in 40-44 I some how managed 2nd in a fairly large field.  Bumped to first at awards since guy ahead of me was 3 rd OA.  That set off a freakish string of placing.  The first one last year was definitely most satisfying.   

2016-10-25 5:14 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Qualifying for World 70.3 Championships, and breaking 200 watts on an FTP test (now up to 215). The latter probably sounds wimpy to most bigger guys, but for a 115 pound, 47 year old woman, it's an accomplishmentt!

Those probably aren't unrelated. I had a decent background in running and swimming before getting into tri six years ago, but hadn't trained regularly at either for years. But once I'd gained back fitness, the bike really held me back. Still remember in my first Oly, I think out of 136 people overall, I was something like 12th on the swim, 9th on the run, and 123rd on the bike! It just doesn't come naturally to me, and it has been a really long struggle with getting better bikes, fit, learning how to train.... compounded by living most of the year where it's basically not safe to ride outside, and having few people I can talk to in person about bike issues. (Better in the last few years. When I first started tri, no one in the city sold tri bikes or did proper fits.) Related to that, breaking 2:50 for the bike leg at Calgary 70.3. That is my best split, and it's a really hard course. That is hands-down the hardest I have ridden in a race, and I was able to follow it up with a decent run. I really worked for that.

2016-10-25 6:42 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Overall fitness and just being in better places physically and mentally.

2016-10-25 8:44 PM

User image

, Ormoc City
When I reached the age of 40, my sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides levels went slightly above the normal levels. These are the usual results in my annual executive check-up (every 1st quarter of the year) and I almost accepted that there's nothing I can do with it.

I acquired my first road bike last November 2015, started training, and had my first Tri Race (Sprint) last January 2016. After my first Tri Race, I continued to train especially after I acquired my Tri Bike last February 2016.

Before my 2nd Tri Race last March 2016, I took my Executive Check-up for 2016 and for the first time since 2010, my Clinical Chemistry Report says that everything is normal i.e. my sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides levels are also within normal levels.

No, I'm not saying that training for triathlon alone has solved my medical issues. I can declare however that it did make a huge and significant effect in my staying, feeling and looking fit and healthy.
2016-10-25 11:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
2 of them.

First, weight loss. I was 235 lbs, and technically obese, and it wasn't cause I was muscular.

I was fat, lazy and very unhealthy when I decided to make a change.

I got myself don to 163 lbs at my leanest. It was a healthy 163 too, I ate a TON!!

I've since had an injury setback where I settled around the 173 mark. ( I was 181 for my recent marathon, but that was from post double ultramarathon weekend rest and gorge eating hahaha )

Second, is just the difference in my fitness and physiology overall.

I went from barely being able to run at ALL, to biking and running farther and faster than I ever imagined possible with my body.

Back to back ultramarathons, 200 mile bike rides, ironman on a knee that was not 100%

Few years back I'd fight and moan and complain to not go on an easy flat 5k walk/hike.

The difference in my resting heart rate, blood pressure, energy levels, heck loving life!!!
2016-10-26 11:25 AM

User image

Mine aren't quantifiable, but are more related to confidence and a sense of accomplishment. Since puberty, I hated gym class. I hated running. I enjoyed swimming but wouldn't consider joining the swim team because that mean exposing my body in public. I had no coordination and could not do anything involving a ball. I was fat, awkward, shy, classically nerdy, and felt like the least athletic person in a small town that put a lot of prestige in high school sports.

In my 20s, I gained 60 lbs. In my 30s, I lost it. Then I started running and cycling in my late 30s. From there I got into triathlon. I have learned to appreciate my body for what it is capable of, regardless of how it looks. Although I am back to the same weight I was when I graduated high school, I am still overweight, and my skin will never be taut, but it doesn't matter. If someone doesn't like the way I look in my swimming suit or short running shorts, they can suck it; it is their problem not mine.

Recently I watched "Barkley Marathons" (fantastic movie for when you are on the trainer) and the guy said something to the effect that when you do endurance sports, you develop your own definition of success and don't care how others define it. The really resonated with me.
2016-10-26 11:53 AM
in reply to: dandr614

Sarasota, Florida
Originally posted by dandr614

^^ This. To me it's being stubborn and experiencing life to a fuller potential. I feel like I'm doing what God intended in design, breaking free of the inhumane all work no play office and academic life. Securing that small slice of life that brings happiness.

2016-10-26 12:37 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by runtim23

^^ This. To me it's being stubborn and experiencing life to a fuller potential. I feel like I'm doing what God intended in design, breaking free of the inhumane all work no play office and academic life. Securing that small slice of life that brings happiness.

I like this and remind myself of it everyday. Before triathlon I was solely career driven, almost every decision was driven by it. I lived to work and now enjoying working to live.
2016-10-26 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Event wise, I'd have to say the most satisfying gains came on the bike, when I quit triathlon the first time... Stay with me!

I basically quit doing multi-sport events for several years as a way to gain back some time, and "scaled back" to biking only. I put that in quotes because it wasn't long before I was putting in as much or more time into riding and racing, and peaking at 60+ events per season (weekend and mid-week races). Yes, there were times I was racing 4-5 days a week. Anyway, the concentration on biking, and the riding necessitating me going well past what I thought I could do, threw my TT'ing to another level entirely.

And when I came back to tri, even after a few years off pretty much all aerobic exercise, the speed was still mostly there.

2016-10-27 12:06 AM

User image

Ventura, California

I would have to say as others it would be the swimming aspect. I was having such a difficult time with open ocean swimming and I have done 2 significant ocean swims without issues. I have also got much better at swimming overall, but I still have a long ways to go.

Overall I feel my mental strength gains have been probably the best, but that comes from just training and racing in general. I have completed 10 races so far this year, only 3 have been Triathlons.

My bike skills have increased hugely this year, but the swim aspect overall was the weakest in which I have made the most improvement..

2016-10-27 12:16 PM

Since most of my weightloss was unrelated to my triathloning....

I'll go with:
-I ran (a mile....and then 2....then sometime I did 4.....I remember when I did 8 miles the day after Halloween a couple years ago as punishment for all the candy...then at some point I did 10....then a full half marathon).......are you kidding me? I RAN. I RAN (well, jogged) but I ran. A former 300 lber...who the first time he tried running...got about 200 meters.
-I learned flip turns. Not that they're good.....but that I spent enough time in the pool to actually learn them....and turned swimming into my 'best' leg against my AG.

I really think my most satisfying aspect of it all that's not an exacting "thing" is that it's like anything else I've been successful with (including the weight loss). I've gotten better/stronger....through patience, consistency, and dedication. You don't get better at anything by spending money. You don't get better at anything if you don't have a little appreciation for delayed gratification. Have a plan. Execute that plan and reap the rewards...whatever they may be.
2016-10-27 7:25 PM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

, Ormoc City

Originally posted by runtim23

I like this and remind myself of it everyday. Before triathlon I was solely career driven, almost every decision was driven by it. I lived to work and now enjoying working to live.

Yes I agree! I am actually much happier now ever since I did my first Tri race nine months ago. We all need a break from the "inhumane all work no play office" and there are other aspects in our lives that needs our attention too other than our careers.

2016-10-28 4:41 AM
in reply to: Nightbird95

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True--I wrote something more concrete and tangible because that is also satisfying, and wouldn't have happened without a pretty high level of commitment to the sport in the first place. But yes, really the greatest gain has been intangible. It's hard to explain. In my case it's not something visible like weight loss. (I like to delude myself that I've gotten more muscular since I started tri, but with my body build, you'd have to look pretty hard to notice that!) I came to tri with a somewhat different background than many on BT, having walked away from a pretty decent running "career" in my younger days. I kept reasonably active and fit (at least by non-athlete standards) but really didn't have much that was satisfying about my life except for (sometimes) my career. It just always seemed like there was something missing, like food without salt or chilli sauce.

I don't mean in terms of winning races or medals or even recognition from others. It was just that at times, it seemed like everything I was doing was something that others had asked or required me to do. My life is far from perfect, and many things have not worked out as I hoped so far, but having something again that is just mine, not something I'm required or expected to do, that I can do at the level of challenge and commitment that I want, and that I have come to (at some level) excel in, has been a big plus to my life. I think I approach other aspects of life with a more positive mindset because I have that again.
2016-10-29 12:11 PM

, Wisconsin
I've got to say that this thread has some really wonderful and motivating stories!

Most satisfying to me has been just to "restart" triathlon after a 26+ year hiatus. Going back almost 3 years I was sure my running days were over. Had my knees carefully evaluated by two different Ortho Drs., MRIs etc. told I'd need a pair of replacements somewhere down the road. Advised NOT to run. I hadn't really run much in about a dozen years anyway. A couple months later I had a very vivid dream in which I wasn't just running, but actually being somewhat competitive in some type of event. Woke up that February morning and thought, what the heck, the best I ever felt in my life was when I was doing Tri back in the late 80s. Now, I had been staying in okay shape doing long walks, some 15-25 mile bike rides, moderate strength training at the Y etc. I knew I'd have to be as easy as possible on my knees, so I worked on running as gently as possible and building up very gradually. Took my old road bike out of storage, started swimming again, and did my first Sprint (1/4mi swim, 17.5mi bike, 5K run) in June of that year. I was almost 20 minutes faster than the goal I'd originally set for myself back in February, and I was once again, hooked. Since then I've done 7 more sprints of various distances, picked up a few cool AG silver medals, and just plain had a lot of fun both racing and training. I've also done handful of open 5Ks. Believe it or not, one of those was practically a real life version of that dream . . . it was pretty incredible.

Goal for next year is to do my first Oly since the 80s. I'm thinking if all goes well I can be under 3 hours . . . I'm also hoping one of these days I'll get an AG gold medal, I was only 20 seconds away from it in one race last year. I've also considered taking a year to concentrate mostly on the bike. Would like to see how competitive I could be in TT. But mostly, I just want to keep it going as long as possible.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Most satisfying gains made Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Making Gains - No Clue Why

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 882 Posts: 3

2013-03-04 11:43 AM fisherman76

More Satisfying/Challenging: IM or BQ? Pages: 1 2

Started by Lock_N_Load
Views: 2935 Posts: 43

2012-04-04 2:08 PM metafizx

Never satisfied

Started by KirkD
Views: 1244 Posts: 15

2010-06-01 1:42 PM Scout7

Satisfying salad recipes? Pages: 1 2

Started by Sharyn5
Views: 4178 Posts: 28

2010-04-05 8:08 PM crisi13

making progress, losing body size, getting faster, going longer, gaining weight?

Started by jdfrog
Views: 1195 Posts: 15

2009-03-02 11:59 AM tcovert