United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 52m 37s
Overall Rank = 976/2576
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 41/112
Pre-race routine:

Luckily I was staying very close to the race at an awesome B&B. This allowed me to be able to walk over in the morning.

Woke up around 4:00 am to take my time getting ready. Had a PB sandwich and cup of coffee. Went over my gear bags one last time before heading out the door. Left the B&B around 5:00 to walk ten minutes to the race start area.
Event warmup:

Dropped off my gear bags and set up my water bottles and nutrition on my bike. We were alerted the night before that due to flooded roads the bike was cut down to only 100 miles. We were all very anxious for the sun to come up to get a look at what the Choptank looked like today. It had been pretty rough the days leading up to the race!

We were all set in our wetsuits when the announcement came that they would delay the start by 30 minutes to see if the river would calm down. 31 minutes later the announcement came that the swim had been cancelled.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was cancelled the morning of the race
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No T1
Bike
  • 5h 32m 21s
  • 100 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I drank less than usual, but I did have to stop twice to use the port a pottys so I didnt worry about it too much since I was obviously hydrated.

The last 10-15 miles i was feeling a lot of pain in my groin (an area I had been receiving PT on for 5 weeks leading up to the race). I was very ready to get off the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Don't think anything. Maybe pee once more before the time trial bike start, but it was hard with all the time trial commotion going on. I just wanted to get started and because of that I ended up needing to stop at mile 10 to use the port a pottys! But honestly I had an idk mentality because they race was already in shambles due to the swim being cut.
Transition 2
  • 06m 46s
Comments:

The bike racks had sunk into the mud on one side and I had to turn my bike sideways in order to get it on the rack. Luckily no one else's bike was back yet:) so I wasn't in jeopardy of knocking anyone else over in doing so.

My mom and step father were waiting for me by my rack and that was the pick me up I needed!!

I ran into the changing tent and got moving quickly. I had my tri shorts under my bike shorts so I just had to take those off. I changed my sports bra to a fresh one which I think helped me not to chafe. I also put vaseline under my arms.

Not much. I am happy with my T1 time. I could have moved a bit faster but I am just glad I didnt dilly dally and end up taking 10 min +
Run
  • 5h 13m 30s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I did a 2:30 run :30 walk starting at mile 2 on the run. I tried to stay as close to this as possible and did a pretty good job until the last few miles.

I had to run through flooded roads (maybe 100-200 yards long) 7 different times. The first 5 times I took my shoes/socks off and ran with them in my hands. I had never run more than 14 miles before this and I did not want to do my first marathon with soaking wet shoes. Eventually around mile 19 I fell in a mud puddle while going through Great Marsh Park and then just kept my shoes on through the flooding.

The flooding was a joke. I mean these areas flood very often in Cambridge so I have no idea why the course uses these roads in the first place! Everyone was walking through them. The water was calf deep at points getting your heart rate skyrocketing just from walking.

Not sign up for this race.

But overall I am happy with my run considering the conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

Puff of the inhaler and a walk to find my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh to course and weather!

Event comments:

This is the 2nd year in a row that the race had to be cut short. There are very few places to stay in Cambridge. Logistically I think the race would just be better somewhere else. I think the race director did a great job with what he had and I think most of Cambridge is beautiful but I cant recommend this race to anyone for next year. It is just not a good time of year for this location, hurricane season and such a low elevation town.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/112
Overall: 0/2576
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:32:21 | 100 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/112
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: There is always wind at Ironman Maryland. It is a two loop course that had been modified due to flooding. I had rode the actual course twice before race day and in my opinion they part taken out was the hardest due to the wind. The actual race day course was much easier than the two times I rode beforehand.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:13:30 | 26.2 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/112
Performance: Average
Course: 2 1/2 loop course. Some parts are beautiful and some are incredibly boring. I saw friends along the course which is always a good pick me up!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2016-10-25 2:18 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Maryland

2016-11-01 11:04 AM
in reply to: #5202939

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Ironman Maryland

Great job on a miserable day.  

What would I do different... "not sign up for this race".  Truer words have never been spoken, that race sucked and I doubt I'd  do it again for free if offered.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Maryland Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Maryland

Started by cchs93
Views: 1516 Posts: 2

2015-11-09 5:45 AM HercDriver

Ironman Maryland

Started by disconnect
Views: 1540 Posts: 2

2015-11-12 3:51 PM HercDriver

Ironman Maryland

Started by Sean6364r
Views: 1803 Posts: 3

2014-10-02 9:16 AM jenstewey

Ironman Maryland

Started by klassman
Views: 2255 Posts: 4

2014-09-29 8:57 AM klassman

Ironman Maryland

Started by haight2
Views: 1245 Posts: 1

2014-09-21 4:53 PM haight2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.