General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fear of Heights Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-31 12:30 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: Fear of Heights
I have to ask: Has anyone else here had to abort an activity due to a fear of heights?

I was trying to cross the Big River Crossing (if you don't know, there's some awesome pics on the net), and the closer I got to being level with the train tracks, the higher my heart rate was going. I made it probably 200yds from the AR side entrance before I had to spin around and go back. Yes, I have issues on overpasses as well (Dallas high 5 and the last overpass before the Mexico border that has the flat turn in Laredo are not fond memories...)

I guess my question to anyone with this issue is: What have you done to work through the fear? I am planning on going back as often as I can to push a little further each time, and I have a buddy to help me this Sat as well. I've been looking forward to this thing opening, and it sucks that I'm afraid of crossing it...

2016-10-31 2:32 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Fear of Heights

Can't say I'm crazy about heights either but the pictures of that crossing don't look too bad given the height of the fencing.  Of course, when I go across the Natchez Trace bridge I travel down the middle of the lane whether or not a car is behind me. 

2016-10-31 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I have no problem on most traffic bridges (driving or riding), but those narrow MUP bridges over highways, and especially the train trestle bridges on rail trail conversions (and more so when they're gravel-covered) give me vertigo. Something about so much of the background moving at a different velocity (visually) on the periphery does it.

2016-10-31 3:34 PM

User image

Heights are my biggest fear, especially over water. I have tried taking rock climbing lessons and going ziplining to get over it, but those things didn't work. My fear is bad enough that I refuse to do a race that has a water start where you have to jump off of something more than a foot or two above the water. I can say, though, that I did a trail race this year that had a water crossing on a fallen log. It was either that or go down the steep creek bed, get my freshly changed socks wet, and climb back up the other side. I was so tired that I successfully crossed on the log, but if had been a simple hike, I would have taken off my shoes and socks and waded across.
2016-11-01 2:43 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'd worked myself up to a healthy fear of heights,  to the point I would get panic symptoms and what felt like vertigo in certain situations.  My worst memory was having to bail on getting out of the elevator at the Eiffel Tower on my first visit.   It would also manifest at the top of escalators, by big windows in tall buildings, etc.  I could usually sneak over and manage it.

I finally decided I needed to kick it on a return trip to Paris.   When I got off the elevator I didn't look out; I just looked at my husband who was with me.  I am pretty sure that not really registering what I was doing helped the most.  Once I felt stable and I worked on looking out and then worked my way closer to the railing.   This ended up helping in a general way too. 

For you, I'd suggest trying to stay as far away from the rail as possible and also to just look at something close by. Maybe the path (unless it's a grated floor where you can see the water...) or your friend.    I also try to remind myself of what might (or might not) happen and that my fear is unrealistic.

2016-11-01 5:42 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I've got it. I've been frozen where I couldn't go down stairs in a lighthouse. It's not rational, I'm not thinking anything, just frozen. Vertigo, dizzy. I've pushed myself a bit on family vacations, my daughter will hold my hand on open stairs etc., but it is just something I have. I'm not willing to spend the time trying to desensitize myself. Would be painful, long and don't see the point.

You're not alone.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fear of Heights Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Whats the rule for bike height?

Started by Lali
Views: 832 Posts: 7

2005-05-18 1:58 PM possum

correct wetsuit height & weight but...can't...breathe

Started by engineermunn
Views: 887 Posts: 4

2005-04-28 11:55 PM Joe M

Steering height on a stationary bike ?

Started by Christ
Views: 550 Posts: 4

2005-04-06 9:19 PM Christ

Steering height on a stationary bike ?

Started by Christ
Views: 529 Posts: 1

2005-04-05 5:56 PM Christ

seat height

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 515 Posts: 3

2004-07-01 9:10 AM ginger ninja
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2014
author : raceelpaso
comments : 1
“I didn’t have a clue. I didn’t know how to swim, I would be dying after running a mile, I didn’t have any coordination or endurance; every time we trained, I was the last one.”

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : June 7, 2013
comments : 0
Like the fear of being foolish, the fear of failure is very common. The first step in overcoming the fear of failure is to define it. Once defined the steps to overcome it are not difficult.
date : April 24, 2013
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.

date : September 9, 2008
author : FitWerx
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : October 4, 2006
author : dleii
At some point I remember thinking about the movie CAPE FEAR. This is what it seemed like when I was around a lot of people. It was just a lot of commotion of waves, arms and feet.