General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Article, or Infomercial Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-01 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: Article, or Infomercial

Just wandered into the "featured" article here on BT.  It's written by someone I never heard of (who just registered yesterday) that promotes a cross-fit style training program on another web site, where all the valuable content is behind a pay wall.

Seriously, that's an article that a beginner triathlete should read?  The debatable merits of that type of training aside, isn't that obviously advertising and not an article with the intention of helping a beginner triathlete?

2016-11-01 10:13 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Article, or Infomercial

good post, its garbage.

2016-11-01 10:46 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Just wandered into the "featured" article here on BT.  It's written by someone I never heard of (who just registered yesterday) that promotes a cross-fit style training program on another web site, where all the valuable content is behind a pay wall.

Seriously, that's an article that a beginner triathlete should read?  The debatable merits of that type of training aside, isn't that obviously advertising and not an article with the intention of helping a beginner triathlete?

BT is actively seeking people to write articles for the site. Maybe you could help recruit good content, since BT users are clearly the best source. Remember what a hard time people gave Gary Hall when he posted his first article here? He got roasted. But the users of BT gave him feedback and he responded.
2016-11-01 10:55 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by AdventureBear

BT is actively seeking people to write articles for the site. Maybe you could help recruit good content, since BT users are clearly the best source. Remember what a hard time people gave Gary Hall when he posted his first article here? He got roasted. But the users of BT gave him feedback and he responded.

Gary Hall gave tons of FREE, good advice suitable for beginners in his articles.  He only had a very subtle link to his swim team site buried within (which happens to contain lots of free videos, etc.). 

VERY different intent, IMO.

2016-11-01 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Not to mention Gary Sr is highly respected and well known.

2016-11-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
BT doesn't pay for content. So it's only fair that writers get something in return. If you don't agree with the content, leave some feedback. I've written for BT and was actually surprised no one gave any feedback. This is two way street though. It will be hard to get good content if members don't like a little 'advertising" along with it, and members don't give any feedback or show any interest.

Edited by Meulen 2016-11-01 12:53 PM

2016-11-01 1:25 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Meulen BT doesn't pay for content. So it's only fair that writers get something in return. If you don't agree with the content, leave some feedback. I've written for BT and was actually surprised no one gave any feedback. This is two way street though. It will be hard to get good content if members don't like a little 'advertising" along with it, and members don't give any feedback or show any interest.

I'm just saying there's a big difference between how you subtly placed your web site for coaching services in an article with good advice for beginners vs. the one that screams "I've found the secret to better performance in less time!  Come see on my web site!".

I've always thought there was value to the articles -  I usually read through most of them though some may not be relevant to me (especially some of the medical ones).  The one current leading just rubbed me the wrong way as just a sales pitch, and a thinly veiled one at that.

2016-11-01 1:30 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Originally posted by Meulen BT doesn't pay for content. So it's only fair that writers get something in return. If you don't agree with the content, leave some feedback. I've written for BT and was actually surprised no one gave any feedback. This is two way street though. It will be hard to get good content if members don't like a little 'advertising" along with it, and members don't give any feedback or show any interest.

I'm just saying there's a big difference between how you subtly placed your web site for coaching services in an article with good advice for beginners vs. the one that screams "I've found the secret to better performance in less time!  Come see on my web site!".

I've always thought there was value to the articles -  I usually read through most of them though some may not be relevant to me (especially some of the medical ones).  The one current leading just rubbed me the wrong way as just a sales pitch, and a thinly veiled one at that.

I hear ya. It's a tough line to draw for sure. But, what I can tell you, is the more you support the people who write good articles...the more they will see the value in doing it. So definitely, reach out to the ones you like! Or maybe, even vocalize the ones you don't. Which you did....so good there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Article, or Infomercial Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

When Nutrition is Just An Infomercial

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 1023 Posts: 3

2012-10-31 11:13 AM dfquigley

Interesting Article

Started by Irongirl
Views: 995 Posts: 1

2004-01-13 8:52 AM Irongirl

Great Mark Allen article!

Started by trilover
Views: 3124 Posts: 9

2003-12-16 4:52 PM riggler

My article

Started by smeeko
Views: 1293 Posts: 14

2003-11-18 5:55 AM cameronw

Scott Herrick's Heart-Rate Article.

Started by Ron
Views: 1576 Posts: 4

2003-10-09 8:28 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Balancing the triathlete you are with your vision for the triathlete you could be.

date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.