General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does this smell right to you? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-04 10:21 AM

Subject: Does this smell right to you?
I know it's all about power....
But...I don't have the expendable cash for that at the moment...

All things being equal (same degrees of flatness/wind/weather/road conditions/temperature)....

I'll average 17.5ish* mph on ~50 mile rides in the area, fairly hilly, obviously lots of stops/intersections/etc. and have plenty of gas left for the day.
I'll average 20+ish** on an Olympic race, stops are gone, and generally a fair bit flatter than my usual.
I'll average 20+ish*** on (well, almost exactly 20 on the one I did), on a 70.3, again a fair bit flatter than my usual.
The one 100+ miles I did, was on my regular rather hill-filled area ride..16.7 avg....which included traffic stops as well as a number of stops where I had to check a map. And I felt I had at least something left in the tank. How much? I don't have that answer yet.

So, thinking about 140.6....
My thoughts are 17ish to 17.5ish? Not that I would explicitly target that, but that's what I get the sense I'd wind up at if I took it a bit easier and went for a slightly labored 'comfort'....like I was going to have to get through a marathon after. Does this pass the sniff test? And that's expecting an improvement bump from increased training and effort.

Again, this is all things being equal....

And the thought here....isn't to nail down a 'target' so much as it is the old mental math of "OK, swim....xx minutes, let's go 20 minutes total for transition/bathroom breaks/etc. OK, bike then y hours, that leaves me how much time to crawl the rest?" Don't laugh. It's what every AG duffer/hobbyist goes through when considering ANY triathlon longer than a sprint.

* Two years and one road bike ago, that was 16.5 avg. I saw a really immediate bump of that ~1 mph immediately from the new bike.

** I've only done one Olympic race on my new tri-bike. And it was the hilliest race ride I've ever done. Avg. on par with road bike data.

*** Again, the one HIM I did was still on my road bike. I think my splits on each half were 20.4 and 20.1...I remember I was pretty happy that they were that close. And that was two years ago.

2016-11-04 12:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Does this smell right to you?

www.bestbikesplit.com is your friend.

Input your Olympic and HIM courses and fiddle with the bike settings until it predicts a bike split that is pretty close (within a minute, or closer if you can get both really close).  Then input your 140.6 course and it will give you a reasonable prediction of your time there (assuming you give it a reasonable power goal).

Edit - I see your HIM was on a different bike.  Forget that and just go with the Olympic on your tri bike.

Edited by axteraa 2016-11-04 12:09 PM
2016-11-04 1:36 PM
in reply to: #5204007

User image

, North Carolina
I don't like MPH goals as they arnt effective for pacing for me. 17mph on one stretch could be torture due to headwinds or hill but 24 could be easy with a tailwind.

I say RPE and HR would be better judges of pace. But I think you are generally on the right track
2016-11-04 1:51 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Nick B I don't like MPH goals as they arnt effective for pacing for me. 17mph on one stretch could be torture due to headwinds or hill but 24 could be easy with a tailwind. I say RPE and HR would be better judges of pace. But I think you are generally on the right track

^^^This^^^

Forget about pace completely.  Instead, pace by RPE / HR.  One of my athletes is racing IMFL tomorrow as his first IM.  During our final phone conversation this morning, I reiterated with him how important it is for him to ignore pace, and focus on RPE & HR for his pacing.  I said it several times.  Yes, it's that important for a successful race.

Chasing paces and times is an effective way for most first time long course triathletes to implode in spectacular fashion during the run.

2016-11-04 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by Nick B I don't like MPH goals as they arnt effective for pacing for me. 17mph on one stretch could be torture due to headwinds or hill but 24 could be easy with a tailwind. I say RPE and HR would be better judges of pace. But I think you are generally on the right track

^^^This^^^

Forget about pace completely.  Instead, pace by RPE / HR.  One of my athletes is racing IMFL tomorrow as his first IM.  During our final phone conversation this morning, I reiterated with him how important it is for him to ignore pace, and focus on RPE & HR for his pacing.  I said it several times.  Yes, it's that important for a successful race.

Chasing paces and times is an effective way for most first time long course triathletes to implode in spectacular fashion during the run.

Oh....I hear you both.
I get it totally...that's why I'm trying to do some.....'data smoothing'....going with the "all things being equal"
Heck...the only goal I have....finishing. I'm a duffer.

I guess.....that's sort of where I was getting to in a way...RPE.

Again....all things being equal (you have to forgive me, I was an econ major...we just luurve that phrase)....

I'm pretty confident of 20ish-and-some-change for 50 really flat miles (Muncie)...and have enough left in the tank.
I'm guessing if I dialed back the "RPE" on a comparable course to account for an extra 56 miles on the bike and an additional 13 of running...
Add in some additional fitness improvement from additional training...
That I'd be somewhere around that 17-17.5ish zone.

Seriously...
This is all about figuring out how much time I'd have left with some gas in the tank to finish the run.

When I did that 100+, the only 'hammering' I did was on a couple hills. Gnarly enough, that you're huffing and puffing no matter how you play it. Otherwise, I wouldn't say I was leisurely. But.....surely....not hammering. Maybe a few moments here and there where I was really kind of ramping up, but very little committed sustained effort at 'pushing it' in any way. If that was 16.5.....with traffic/lights/stops/etc. An mile or two on top of that feels pretty good to me. That's the number I'm going with for 'timing' purposes. I think it could be even better even, depending on the course terrain. I'd be more than happy to 'bank' that extra time if I did this and realize that...oh hey, I'm 20 minutes ahead of 'baseline'.

edit:
Also.....the last mile of the 100 ride was done with a 44 oz. stytrofoam cup of Coke Zero from a gas station to my house. The aero bars make this an accomplishable feat.
Also, yes....I know...diet soda is terrible for you. So is being 305 lbs. like I used to be. So, I allow myself diet soda on any day I do a workout. I have to pick my battles.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-11-04 2:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does this smell right to you? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I doing this right?

Started by debbiereid06
Views: 664 Posts: 5

2010-03-31 3:32 PM dhopman

Am i doing the right thing?

Started by cj1212
Views: 934 Posts: 3

2009-07-26 9:00 PM breckview

IM Nutrition - I'm not doing something right

Started by captantony
Views: 2279 Posts: 25

2009-07-29 3:52 PM captantony

I don't know if I'm doing it right....(HIM Training)

Started by merlin2375
Views: 1265 Posts: 5

2009-04-27 7:42 AM merlin2375

Am I doing this right?

Started by sanhador
Views: 1157 Posts: 5

2009-04-08 3:17 PM gearboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.
date : November 14, 2004
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 2
The next time you smell ammonia, don't worry. It doesn't mean that your muscle tissue is being broken down, and it doesn't mean that you're doomed to stink for the rest of eternity.