United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 46m 22s
Overall Rank = 104/234
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/25
Pre-race routine:

Traffic Issues, Parking Control Issues, Got into transition late, no room on any bike racks. Ended up racking my bike on a tree and refused to be herded into overcrowded bike racks.
Started the morning out with a immediate 2 minute penalty for improper placement of equipment.
Event warmup:

No warmup, had to cool down in the water and cool my jets after getting rattled with early morning delays and race official argument and 2 minute penalty. Boo, I got a trick instead of a treat, haha.
Swim
  • 29m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really enjoyed the swim but I still am not comfortable banging around with other swimmers so I tend to go off to the side which adds distance and in this case I caught myself going abit off course and having to swim back on course. This was a large lake swim through a channel and around an island and the buoys where spaced far apart for someone who is near sighted.
What would you do differently?:

Just man up and stay in the pack and swim like a salmon upstream.
Transition 1
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

This was my first time racing with clip in shoes and pedals. I was warned about trying to do this with very little practice so I did a modified version. I ran with my shoes, jumped on the bike and was able to pedal away cleanly before looking down to get my shoes clipped in. All in all it worked just fine.

I tried pulling my swim cap straight off the top and it let go like a rubber band and shot the cap and my googles out of my hands and into the sand. Damn!

Not sure what to do about the heals as this was first time having that problem.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 56s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.46 km/hr
Comments:

The bike course worked out great. I feel I did what I could do at the best of my ability. I was able to maintain a strong pace through out the race. I got in some burst passing efforts and I was able to rest on a couple spots.

Nothing except get stronger and faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

My toes had gone numb on the bike so running off the bike was more of a hobble.

Nothing
Run
  • 56m 14s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 37s  min/km
Comments:

I was absolutely surprised by my run performance, only 2 minutes of my PR pace. Probably could have pushed a tad harder.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Just chilling out in the post race area catching up on fluids and getting a little to eat. Checking race times, etc...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the only place I could have improved on this race would have been the swim. I think I could have honestly could have cut 3-4 minutes off the swim with better sighting and a little more aggressiveness

Event comments:

They had some traffic entry issues that delayed alot of people and then they had traffic control volunteers that where simply rounding folks round robin into a already full parking lot. It was very frustrating and it was totally dark, all of that was a first for me so I let it get me rattled. They also did not have enough bike rack space, in my opinion.

BUT once the race started I had a great race and the venue was a excellent place to set a PR.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-11-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:34 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/234
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Sprint
Course: Olympic Course up and over through a narrow water channel and then opening back up into a larger lake, around an island and back through the channel into the other body of water and onto shore. Go to website and check course maps for visual reference.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:56 | 40 kms | 32.46 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 laps across the dam and down into a parking lot for a turn around. Very little elevation change, manageable traffic. Pinch point at one side of dam turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:14 | 10 kms | 05m 37s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: 2 laps around the lake, half paved, half hard packed dirt trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-11-08 10:06 PM

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: Trick or Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trick or Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trick or Treat Trot

Started by krissster
Views: 764 Posts: 1

2007-08-01 10:42 AM krissster

Sunrise Rotary Trick or Trot 10K

Started by gtbuzz
Views: 584 Posts: 1

2007-06-02 10:42 AM gtbuzz

Trick or Treat Trot

Started by mmckinley
Views: 1086 Posts: 2

2006-10-30 8:58 AM SunnyS

Trick or Treat Trot

Started by mmckinley
Views: 731 Posts: 1

2005-11-01 5:31 PM mmckinley

Oxford Atletic Club Trick or Treat Kids Triathlon

Started by psu27
Views: 683 Posts: 1

2004-10-17 8:45 PM psu27
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.