General Discussion Triathlon Talk » muscle ID Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-10 2:42 PM

Subject: muscle ID
HI all,
Been having a really hard time with a specific muscle when running. Starts to hurt at about 6 miles, and usually done running (due to pain) by 8 miles. This is really frustrating as training for a HM. OK here are the specifics:

This muscle is about halfway between the bottom of my calf muscle and my ankle. It is not in front and not really in the back, but the inside of my leg. If I had to say, it is more towards the back of the leg, but still somewhat on the inside side. So, if I run my finger straight up the back of my leg along the Achilles tendon, about 6 inches above ankle and 2 inches toward front of leg, that is it. It gets very painful, and last night it got swollen.

I'm sure this is boring as crap, but anyone know what muscle this is? I have been icing it, and taken some Ibuprofin, but not even sure what caused this.

Thanks!

2016-11-13 8:28 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: muscle ID
Take a gander

(leg-anatomy-back-pain-down-leg-diagram-showing-the-muscles-which-make-up-the-hip-flexors.gif)

Attachments
----------------
leg-anatomy-back-pain-down-leg-diagram-showing-the-muscles-which-make-up-the-hip-flexors.gif (509KB - 10 downloads)
2016-11-14 8:40 AM
in reply to: Nick B

Wow! cool. Thanks a lot!!
2016-11-14 9:52 AM

User image

, North Carolina
You might be able to try some self massage or some foam rolling. You should do it often not just when it hurts. Should help break up some of the tension. Is it only in one leg that it hurts? Has it always done this?
2016-11-19 8:55 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Could be posterior tibialis or flexor digitorium. If ice, NSAIDs and foam rolling don't work, go see a sports med doc or PT.
2016-11-20 1:45 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure if it is the same muscle, but I sometimes cramp in a similar area after running up a hill, for some reason only in the final stages of the run in a longer tri (basically, when there is a hill late on the run in a HIM). I think it's partly due to running up too aggressively and going up on my toes, and maybe riding too hard or in too high a gear uphill or into the wind makes me vulnerable to it. It has also happened mainly in races with cooler weather and colder water. You might want to see if hills are triggering it, and try a more relaxed run or fast walk up steep hills, especially if running when fatigued (in a brick, or late in a long run). If it's happening on runs after biking, could also be related to gearing or cleat position on the bike, then aggravating an already tight muscle when you run. Also, do you tend to run on your toes or the balls of your feet? That could be putting extra strain on that area. If so, you might want to get a coach to look at your run form and give you some feedback. You may need to shift to a more heel-ward strike for longer runs.

I find that stretches where you basically sit on your feet with your ankles flexed are useful for this. Plus doing most runs on soft surfaces until the issue works itself out, and doing easy swims/kick sets with fins.

2016-11-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I am training for a December HM right now, so mileage has gone up over last several months. But, I am following a training plan. (the F.I.R.S.T.) I run 3 days a week. One fairly hard interval workout, one medium to high temp, and the long, slower run. Weekly mileage is 21-22.
To answer just a few Q's: this just started recently, and literally "moves" back and forth now to both legs, exact spot, never at the same time. Sounds like lunacy, but it does it. 2 days rest buys me another run.
I have trained myself to actually be a ball of the foot striker, as I was coached completely out of the heel strike as a bad habit that actually slows me down. My calf muscles have gotten stronger, but this pain is lower than a running cramp due to a Brick workout. If I do a 12 mile run, it won't typically be an issue until 7-8 miles. At that point it gets pretty sore pretty quick.
2017-01-05 3:26 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York
Originally posted by Burchib

HI all,
Been having a really hard time with a specific muscle when running. Starts to hurt at about 6 miles, and usually done running (due to pain) by 8 miles. This is really frustrating as training for a HM. OK here are the specifics:

This muscle is about halfway between the bottom of my calf muscle and my ankle. It is not in front and not really in the back, but the inside of my leg. If I had to say, it is more towards the back of the leg, but still somewhat on the inside side. So, if I run my finger straight up the back of my leg along the Achilles tendon, about 6 inches above ankle and 2 inches toward front of leg, that is it. It gets very painful, and last night it got swollen.

I'm sure this is boring as crap, but anyone know what muscle this is? I have been icing it, and taken some Ibuprofin, but not even sure what caused this.

Thanks!

A couple suggestions if I may add. Get on your bike and do single leg pedaling drills and also using a resistance band orlaying on the flood do hip abductions. Doing so will strengthen the stabilizing muscles in your leg and may help with the pain. I've been having to do a lot of rehab work on myself to fix a lot of weakness that has been causing me pain
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » muscle ID Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Did your shin muscles hurt like crazy crap!?

Started by Jiggies
Views: 1593 Posts: 10

2005-06-24 8:12 PM Hokietri

Muscle cramping lately

Started by soloryder
Views: 1106 Posts: 6

2005-06-09 12:38 PM H13

Constantly Tired Calf muscles

Started by Konabound
Views: 5044 Posts: 6

2004-12-16 7:26 PM Konabound

Only half my muscles work!?!?!

Started by Yellowk8t
Views: 947 Posts: 3

2004-12-10 1:44 PM gr8brindle

Need help with some muscle pain

Started by satchmo72
Views: 1312 Posts: 4

2004-09-24 2:20 AM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How do you know the difference between muscle soreness and an injury? Learn several techniques to alleviate muscle soreness after a hard workout.

date : January 17, 2012
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.
date : October 12, 2009
author : Coach-Al
Learn the basics of what happens when you run. Also covered are the principles of elasticity, mobility and stability. Run faster without running the big miles.

date : November 12, 2008
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.
date : April 9, 2005
If I start back training too soon will I cause more damage or will I just stop the healing process? How long should it take for the muscle to heal completely?

date : November 14, 2004
author : Nancy Clark
In this day and age of energy bars, protein powders and weight gain shakes, many athletes forget about “real" foods such as peanut butter. Peanut butter is perhaps the best sport food around.