General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LTHR test results seem high Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-18 6:45 AM

Subject: LTHR test results seem high
I conducted a 30 minute LTHR test (as described here) and the end result was 185bpm, with my heart rate ranging from 183 to 188. That seems way high to me, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this. Below is the chart from Runkeeper for the last 20 minutes (when I was recording with RK). Things look pretty consistent, in that my hr goes down when I'm running downhill and then back up when I'm climbing.

I'm 37 years old, in pretty good shape, with 10k times in the ~ 45:00 range. Considering how exhausting that 30 minute test was, I'm not relishing the idea of a do-over...

Any thoughts?

2016-11-18 7:16 AM
in reply to: micahwedemeyer

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: LTHR test results seem high

From the info provided, nothing really seems suspicious. Mine would be fairly close. Think a couple that are on the site from time to time have held near that for a marathon. It's higher than average, but doesn't seem abnormal.

2016-11-18 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Seems normal. Mine is usually in the high 170's for that length of hard run; I just saw someone post who averaged 191 for a hard 5K. I have definitely seen 180's when running; I just don't seem to be able to sustain it for as long as you did--might be heat-related as my last test was in the 90's with high humidity. It looks like the course was a bit hilly and your HR was definitely going up and down depending on if you were heading up or downhill, which is normal. Heart rate depends on a lot of things--heat, body size, caffeine consumption, hydration, stress--in addition to effort. I wouldn't worry unless you had unusual symptoms during/ after the run (not just the usual wanting to lie down/die/puke/etc.).
2016-11-18 7:46 AM
in reply to: brigby1

I could probably keep this up for a 10k, but no way for a marathon.

I had thought that one of the goals of training in the different zones was to increase your LTHR, but on further reading I guess this is pretty controversial. That actually makes me feel a lot better, as I doubt I'll be able to push 185 up all that much. Seems like I'm already in hummingbird range.

Thanks for letting me know that the results are at least possible!
2016-11-18 7:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Heart rate depends on a lot of things--heat, body size, caffeine consumption, hydration, stress--in addition to effort.

Okay, good to know. Conditions were perfect, temperature-wise (10C), and I had a cup of coffee before heading out. I was tired at the end, but nothing unusual.

My takeaway is that these results are on the high end of the spectrum, but not absurd. That's what I needed to know.
2016-11-18 10:04 AM

User image

, North Carolina

(Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.04.03 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.04.03 AM.png (12KB - 9 downloads)

2016-11-18 10:10 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by micahwedemeyer
Heart rate depends on a lot of things--heat, body size, caffeine consumption, hydration, stress--in addition to effort.
Okay, good to know. Conditions were perfect, temperature-wise (10C), and I had a cup of coffee before heading out. I was tired at the end, but nothing unusual. My takeaway is that these results are on the high end of the spectrum, but not absurd. That's what I needed to know.
It's not "high", it's what your physiology is, don't bother to compare your LTHR to others, means nothing.  Mine has been 174 to 176 for all the tests I've done from when I was 40 on my 1st test to 49 when I last did a test.  What changes is the pace you can run at your LTHR, depending on fitness level.
Trust the HR zones calculated from the test for your training.   When I tracked HR during run races, 10k runs I would avg at threshold and be Z5a-Z5b last 2.5 miles.  HM wise I'd build to mid Z4 by mile 3 and last 5k would be at to just above threshold, race avg's were typically mid Z4.

Enjoy the training!

2016-11-18 10:19 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by micahwedemeyer I could probably keep this up for a 10k, but no way for a marathon. I had thought that one of the goals of training in the different zones was to increase your LTHR, but on further reading I guess this is pretty controversial. That actually makes me feel a lot better, as I doubt I'll be able to push 185 up all that much. Seems like I'm already in hummingbird range. Thanks for letting me know that the results are at least possible!

It can seem to increase early on, like coming from doing little, or after a longer lay off, but after awhile it can stay more steady even though your pace at LTHR can change quite a bit. The goal isn't really to move your LTHR up, but rather know that it may move up, possibly more so in the earlier going. Pace is what you want speeding up.

2016-11-19 1:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have had my LTHR over 190 and I've also had it around 172, depending on my training etc.

185 isn't some total freak number, if it's what you held, it's what you held! :p
2016-11-19 5:02 AM

User image

, North Carolina
Those RunKeeper graphs are always hard to decipher because they don't always use the same y scale. How much climbing was really on that route?

When you are running at 157-165 or zone two, how does that feel?

2016-11-19 6:56 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by micahwedemeyer I could probably keep this up for a 10k, but no way for a marathon. I had thought that one of the goals of training in the different zones was to increase your LTHR, but on further reading I guess this is pretty controversial. That actually makes me feel a lot better, as I doubt I'll be able to push 185 up all that much. Seems like I'm already in hummingbird range. Thanks for letting me know that the results are at least possible!

It can seem to increase early on, like coming from doing little, or after a longer lay off, but after awhile it can stay more steady even though your pace at LTHR can change quite a bit. The goal isn't really to move your LTHR up, but rather know that it may move up, possibly more so in the earlier going. Pace is what you want speeding up.

First, your test data looks good.  Nothing suspicious about it.

Second, to expand on what Ben said, once a moderate level of fitness is achieved, LTHR won't change much.  What will happen, is your paces at LTHR will get faster as your fitness improves further.  The end goal of training is getting faster, right?

2016-11-21 10:02 AM
in reply to: Nick B

Originally posted by Nick B

When you are running at 157-165 or zone two, how does that feel?

I went for a run today and the chart is below. I played with my numbers a bit and calculated based on 180bpm LTHR, which put zone 2 at 153-160bpm. I forced myself to stay in that range, and wow did that feel slow to me. My takeaway from that experience is that my calculation of 185 LTHR seems correct for me. Running at 155bpm has me barely breathing, nowhere near gasping. If I stop paying attention, I'll start speeding up to ~ 165bpm range.

Anyways, this has been very helpful. It's fun to play around with this and see how my body reacts. I have a half-marathon on Thursday and I'll try to run at least the first half in zone 2 and see how I feel after that. I'm looking for any records in this run, but mainly to see how I feel at this speed. My ultimate goal is to complete an Ironman sometime in 2017, so that's where my interest in heart rate zones is coming from.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LTHR test results seem high Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

20 min test - Higher FTP but lower LTHR?

Started by roserc
Views: 2000 Posts: 16

2016-10-06 7:50 AM brigby1

LTHR Bike Test

Started by Coach Gil
Views: 836 Posts: 4

2013-06-15 11:13 AM brigby1

LTHR Test Question?

Started by tmp1980
Views: 1664 Posts: 10

2011-05-12 10:17 AM RedCorvette

LTHR test #3 done

Started by menglo
Views: 873 Posts: 7

2010-04-07 9:53 AM menglo

Training LTHR vs Race LTHR

Started by RogerWilco
Views: 2417 Posts: 21

2010-02-22 1:52 PM atasic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : March 5, 2006
author : acbadger
Has anyone out there using the resistance bands insead of weights for strength training? If so, what have your results been?

date : May 16, 2005
author : Glenn
The real secret to improvement in running and bike times is variety within the routine. Endurance activity requires you to vary your training for maximum results.
date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
How to motivate yourslef into habit forming triathlon training goals.