General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half IM 10 weeks after Marathon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-18 5:35 PM

User image

Barcelona, Cataluna
Subject: Half IM 10 weeks after Marathon?
Hello,
I'm 46, a bad swimmer, average cyclist and a bit more than average runner.
After 4 years of Sprint triathlons I finally decided to ramp up to Olympic last year (I am a realy bad swimmer, that was holding me back) and afer a mountain olympic in Andorra with a killer bike segment (a 1st. Category pass) i felt ready and completed another Olympic in September.
I'm preparing my next season. I want to run the Barcelona Marathon (mar 12th), my 2nd marathon, but the main goal of the season is the Barcelona Ironman 70.3 (Half IM but also a hard hilly bike segment). That is 10 weeks after the Marathon.
So how should I train? I was going to train for the marathon adding a few swimming and bike session as a complement, and a couple of weeks after the Marathon when I recover I would add harder bike and swimming.
Is that a correct approach? Is the Half too close to the Marathon to do both? Should I add more tri-specific training instead of the marathon plan?
Does anybody know about a plan to prepare both? Do you think I am crazy and doing both is too much for me?
Any help from you masters would really be appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!

2016-11-18 7:13 PM
in reply to: 6to

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Half IM 10 weeks after Marathon?
What are your goals for each race?

When I was 51, I ran a marathon followed by my first HIM one month later. I didn't train sufficiently for either and it took longer to recover from the marathon than anticipated. However I did get a little training between the races.

Since you said running is your strength, IMO you should train for the 70.3 and just add more running to the plan. Can't give any specifics because you haven't provided any details of how much you already train and any results from your racing.
2016-11-19 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
With only 10 weeks in between you will not be optimum for the 70.3 but if you're in good marathon shape you can have an enjoyable 70.3. What you want to have is a good enough bike base so that you do not suffer on the run. A lot of people tend to over-analyze things.

During your marathon prep I would try and swim on your short run days. If you run in the AM, swim in the PM or vise-versa. Try and get at least 2 ike rides in during your marathon training, at least 1 to 1.5 hours each.

If you can get some longer rides in, say 2 to 2.5 hours during marathon training that's a plus.

Before the 70.3 you want to get at least four to five 3 to 3.5 hour rides under your belt. In the 8 weeks before your 70.3 I think this is very achieveable.

Keep in mind the more prepared you are for the swim the better your day will go.
2016-11-21 6:02 AM
in reply to: Donskiman

User image

Barcelona, Cataluna
Hi Don,

My goal is a 3:45h to 4h Marathon (not too hard for the way I run: 45 in 10k and 1h 40 in HM) and for that I train running 3 days a week (Speed series, Tempo run and Long run, with 8 HMs in the last 8 weeks before the Marathon with some swimming (really mintenance) to rest the legs between running days, and almost no bike just for that reason.

The hardest part in the Half IM is the bike, with 3 mountain passes. If I arrive to the T2 moderately tired I know I can run a sub-2h HM and finish it well... The worst case is not recovering well from the Marathon, not having time to train the bike in that 10 weeks, and then not being able to arrive to the T2 "alive" so I am still deciding between training for the Marathon and throwing more bike in the 10 weeks after... Or trainig for the 3 sports with a bit more emphasis on running (because that can not be enough for a good marathon, maybe that way it takes even more to recover)... Too many doubts so your help is much appreciated !
2016-11-21 6:36 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Barcelona, Cataluna
Hi Reece,

You are right, I'm one of the over-analyzers but a good training plan gives me the confidence I need for the harder challenges.
As I told Don, while I train for the Marathon with the FIRST Run Less-Run Faster method I swim between runs but the bike is kept to a minimum to "save" my legs for the harder running training. It looks like I need at least 1 bike session per week too but 2hour+ is going to be too much for me.

In a bike race with a circuit that is very similar to the one in the HIM (same 3 mountain passes) it took me 4:15h to finish it, and I was so tired I cold not be able to run a HM afterwards. It was right after holidays and completely untrained but still, sensations were not good.

If you think four to five "long" (3 to 3.5) hour rides in the 10-week (well, 8-week leaving the 2 first to recover from the marathon but it's closer to 6-7 because of the tapering) would be enough, I can do 1 per week and I feel I will be able to commit to do that.

Swimming is my worst part but since I learned the "Total Immersion" style I don't finish as tired as before. I am slow but it saves my precious energy for the bike and run...

Thanks a lot again for your help !!!
2016-11-21 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by 6to

Hi Reece,

You are right, I'm one of the over-analyzers but a good training plan gives me the confidence I need for the harder challenges.
As I told Don, while I train for the Marathon with the FIRST Run Less-Run Faster method I swim between runs but the bike is kept to a minimum to "save" my legs for the harder running training. It looks like I need at least 1 bike session per week too but 2hour+ is going to be too much for me.

In a bike race with a circuit that is very similar to the one in the HIM (same 3 mountain passes) it took me 4:15h to finish it, and I was so tired I cold not be able to run a HM afterwards. It was right after holidays and completely untrained but still, sensations were not good.

If you think four to five "long" (3 to 3.5) hour rides in the 10-week (well, 8-week leaving the 2 first to recover from the marathon but it's closer to 6-7 because of the tapering) would be enough, I can do 1 per week and I feel I will be able to commit to do that.

Swimming is my worst part but since I learned the "Total Immersion" style I don't finish as tired as before. I am slow but it saves my precious energy for the bike and run...

Thanks a lot again for your help !!!

I looked back at my race history and in 2011 I ran my first Marathon on April 16, then did my first 70.3 on June 12 only 8 weeks after. I only had TWO 3 hour rides between and ZERO riding miles in the month of March. I over-biked during the race and paid for it on the run. I averaged about 19.5 mph on the bike and had I averaged maybe 18.5 I would have had a much more enjoyable run. Everybody's body is different but I think my run fitness at least enabled me to still have a decent race. My swim fitness was pretty good at the time so that had to have helped as well.

As long as you don't over-bike I'm sure you'll have a great race.

2016-11-21 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Ok, it sounds like your goal is about 7 hours for the 70.3. 50 minute swim, 4 hour bike, 2 hour run, plus transitions. That should be doable with the training you're proposing. I think you should do more bike training because running off the bike is harder than many people think. Plus you really need to practice fueling for the run on the bike.

As I said, my first HIM was a month after a marathon. I ran 3:55 off of mediocre training. I did the HIM in 5:57. I did way less training than you'll do, but I had a biking base of many thousands of miles over a long period. I also did lots of swimming at one point in my life. My training for the HIM was about 6-8 swim sessions total, and maybe a dozen bike rides, plus the mediocre marathon training. I got huge blisters on my feet from the marathon and did almost no running between the races. My goal was 6 hours. 40 minute swim, 3 hour bike, 2:10 run plus transitions. I was slightly slower in the swim and run, faster on the bike and transitions. I really held back on the run expecting to run out of energy, but when I finally realized I had energy left the last 2 miles of the run were by far my fastest.

I did the same marathon a year later with better training in 3:26. I did my second HIM with slightly more focused training in 5:30.

Biking up mountain passes requires lots of strength. That comes from lots of riding on hilly terrain. I live in Colorado and have biked extensively here. Before I started triathlon I used biking on steep terrain as a way to keep in shape for skiing. The other skill in riding in the mountains is learning how to descend without braking too much.

So my advice is to add more biking.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half IM 10 weeks after Marathon? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

10 weeks till IM - got Plantar Fasciitis

Started by TMan72478
Views: 2181 Posts: 14

2016-11-23 10:41 PM Donskiman

10 week training for Half IM???

Started by Tigerpr76
Views: 719 Posts: 2

2014-07-07 7:13 AM GMAN 19030

Ultra 10 weeks after IM

Started by neweyes
Views: 2897 Posts: 14

2011-06-12 1:37 AM krystyna47

Modifying IM plan 10 weeks out

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 1379 Posts: 6

2010-04-22 9:57 AM kenaxford

End of IM training week 10

Started by madcow
Views: 762 Posts: 6

2004-12-29 8:07 PM vadiver
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.