Why Racing Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 49s
Overall Rank = 274/345
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

nothing fancy. Green tea and a protein bar which is my usual breakfast. I had my car packed the night before.
Event warmup:

a bit of light stretching and light jogging. While jogging around the transition areas to make sure I knew where to enter and exit for each segment, I accidentally ran over the timing mat and heard the loud "beeeeeep!" which worried me that now my timing chip would be screwed up. So I spend a bunch of time asking staff/volunteers what I should do and finally ended up at the timing van where they told me it was no problem, they don't make the timing mats "active" until the first wave starts. SO, that ended up using up a good portion of my swim warm up time which was a bummer because the swim is the part I was most worried about.
Swim
  • 26m 56s
  • 880 yards
  • 03m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

swimming is my weakness. My goal was to not be last in my age group, and to get under 3:00 for my pace. I was 15/16 in my age group but did not quite break my pace goal. water kept getting into my goggles every time I took a breath on my right side, which started causing me to get sunblock in my eyes. very irritating. I think I actually swam decently (for my own skills) considering my goggle problem. My plan was to swim the first 200 freestyle and then after wards swim 50 freestyle and swim 25 backstroke alternating for the rest of the race. I was pleased that I did not find this necessary. I only went on my back 3 times for about 12-15 strokes each time on my back. The remainder I did all freestyle, though I did develop a pattern in the final half where I would do 6-7 breaths (12-14 strokes) then take a 5-7 second rest to sight the buoys and just calm myself down. It was freaky with the water being so muddy and so many people kicking me and bumping me.
What would you do differently?:

not put sunblock on my face before the swim. Do that during T1. Also, I was worried about not being able to finish, so I was kind of "saving" energy for the last 200m. Now that I know I can finish, I would push a little harder during the middle and end. Not take so many "rests".
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

My transition time was actually decent, there is a somewhat long run into the transition area so I already had my wetsuit off to my waist, my goggles and cap removed and my pony-tail re-adjusted before I even got to my bike. Then there is a somewhat long run with your bike out of transition area. I would estimate 2:00 of this time to be just running.

waited to put sunblock on my face in T1 instead of pre-race.
Bike
  • 42m 52s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 15.68 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a new PR for me on the bike! My goal was to average 15.5 mph or better. I pedaled pretty much constantly and took almost no "breaks" except during the hairpin turns (there were 6 of them) where it would become a bit of a traffic jam so I would coast into the hairpins and drink some Gatorade. I passed 24 people (including one lady walking her bike).

I actually could have pushed harder. I was trying to save energy for the run but I was totally fine on both the bike and the run. My cadence may have been a little low, but I never did get my cadence sensor working for this race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

my T2 time was great! actually mine was the fastest in my age group by over 10 seconds! Again there was a somewhat long run back to the bike racking area which took up the majority of this time.

nothing.
Run
  • 27m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Another PR for me! my goal was to beat a 9:00 pace. previously my fastest 5k (as part of a triathlon) was 28:36. I started out hating it...suffered for the first 6 minutes or so. I was behind a very fit looking 43 year old lady in a fancy looking looking tri-suit and she seemed to be going about 9:00 pace, so I decided to just pace her and then try to pass her at the end. As it turned out, about a mile in, I was feeling great and passed her no problem. I ended up passing 19 people. with about a half mile left to go I realized I wasn't even tired....so I started running quite a bit faster.

maybe bring a water bottle? I was getting cotton mouth so bad it was distracting me. I'm glad I didn't eat any of my energy chews during the bike because I ended up needing them on the run just to combat the cotton mouth.
Post race
Warm down:

drank a bottle of water, walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

fear and anxiety during the swim. Holding back on the bike and run trying to "save energy" that I really didn't need to save.

Event comments:

good race. lots of fun. I plan to do this race every year.

Last updated: 2015-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:56 | 880 yards | 03m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/16
Overall: 323/345
Performance: Bad
Suit: Synergy Adrenaline
Course: man made lake, triangle swim around 3 buoys. warm, muddy water, low chop. lots of places for spectators to cheer you on.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:52 | 11.2 miles | 15.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 273/345
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops on a mostly flat, closed roadway. They had to modify the course last minute due to some city rules for road closures, so this course was only 11.2 miles instead of the advertised 12 miles. I was originally really excited about my time...then later realized I wasn't as fast as I thought, the course was just short.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:50 | 03.11 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 209/345
Performance: Good
Course: nice mostly flat, partly on a shaded trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %1.5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-11-20 10:21 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: Blue Lake Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Blue Lake Sprint Triathlon

Started by sachilles
Views: 879 Posts: 1

2011-07-17 8:19 PM sachilles

Started by kennyr
Views: 943 Posts: 1

2011-06-15 10:15 PM kennyr

Started by ericmergen
Views: 995 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 9:25 AM ericmergen

Started by martymo
Views: 1332 Posts: 1

2011-06-12 10:46 AM martymo

BLUE LAKE SPRINT TRIATHLON

Started by toniomx
Views: 888 Posts: 1

2008-01-26 11:53 AM toniomx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.