Renegade Race Series
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 53m 54s
Overall Rank = 104/336
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/40
Pre-race routine:

This was a last minute race i signed up for. I needed something to remind myself why I'm doing this. I've been in a bit of a funk since IMAZ last year and haven't trained worth a damn. My wife has been prodding me to get out and do a race but I've just been kinda stuck. She found this one and signed me up. I've been running maybe 15 miles a week, Riding about 30-75 miles a week and not swimming. I had ZERO expectations coming into this knowing I'd be hurting the whole time being completely out of shape.

8:06 Start time means a later leave time which means a nice and chill morning. Woke up, showered, packed the kids and took off. Easy 45 minute drive to the venue. Very organized and super mellow atmosphere. Checked in, set up transition and hung out for about an hour before the race started.
Event warmup:

I got in the water and did a few strokes to make sure I remembered how to swim. Stretched and got in line with my wave to start.
Swim
  • 16m 7s
  • 850 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was a little too cold for a sleeveless for me this time. Usually the colder the water the better for me but this time was different. Went out hard and found some feet and then got into a nice rhythm. I don't know what happened after the first turn but it felt like I forgot how to breathe...had to take some easy strokes to get back to it and finished up.
What would you do differently?:

I haven't been training at all. I did 3 swims last week of steady 1500m efforts and thats the only swimming I've done all year. I need to train to expect a better result. Overall I was happy with this.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Quick and dirty. Not the fastest but good enough.
Bike
  • 49m 43s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I could not get my legs to turn over at all. It was a struggle to get going and warm up. Cold water, with cold, rainy air makes for a LONG warm up. I felt this course suits my riding style: Short punchy climbs and longer straits/winding areas to hammer in aero. Problem was I could not get my legs to put out any power and could not get my HR elevated past 130. It drove me nuts for the first few miles. I figured at that time I'll take the first lap and spin the legs awake and hammer the second. I would find my legs for about 5 minutes and lose them again. This cycle went for the entire ride. 2nd lap was definitely faster but I could not get moving. I was cold and could not get my HR up. I got passed by 5 people...maybe...which surprised me given how crappy i felt.

Train. The bike is my strong suit now. I just need more time in the saddle. This time of year is typically when I've been training all summer and I have hay in the barn but with the way this year has gone...it's tough to expect a lot when you don't put in the time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Quick and dirty.
Run
  • 43m 2s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Given my feeling on the bike I resigned myself to a struggle on the run if I pushed it. So as I started my run I made the decision to just kick back. At this point I wasn't racing...i was participating. I was going to take what my body was willing to give me. Just like the bike it took me 1.5 miles to really warm up. I'm a sweater and I didn't really break a sweat until mile 2...which concerned me. Once the sweat started rolling is when I felt my legs and a little fitness coming on. The longer I ran the better i felt. I was able to get up to a respectable pace for the last 1.5 miles. I finished strong which kinda saved this event for me mentally.

Again...train.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a piece of pie and water. Grabbed my stuff and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. As I said earlier: This year has been tough for me...and I can't pin point why. I completed IMAZ last year and had a newfound fire for triathlon and had hoped to maintain some form of Ironman fitness through the year. It took me a long time to feel the normal pop in my legs on the bike and the run following IMAZ. I did 1 tri in February and a few centuries through the year but nothing that I really got up for. Most of the guys I trained with last year moved away or gave up the ghost as far as training is concerned. So I've been struggling. Mentally it's not there. The desire and love for it is just not there. My fitness has taken a nose dive and it's a little depressing. I need to get out of this and this was a good event to help with that. I'll take until the 1st of the year and get my thoughts together and put in some run training and see if I can't turn this thing around. This is a race I could have definitely gone top 3-5 in my AG if I was at my normal operating fitness...but not today.

Event comments:

Great Race, Great Venue, and well organized. These guys put on a lot of events through the year and it shows. They know what they are doing and we will definitely be back.

Last updated: 2016-11-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:07 | 850 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/40
Overall: 73/336
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Horseshoe shaped course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:43 | 14.5 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/40
Overall: 102/336
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 lap ride around Bonelli Park
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:02 | 04.5 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/40
Overall: 169/336
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop with 2 mile out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-11-21 9:56 AM

Regular
Corona
Subject: San Dimas Turkey Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Dimas Turkey Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - San Diego (Triathlon - Super Sprint)

Started by newbiedana
Views: 1843 Posts: 6

2007-10-30 4:01 PM milaminute

San Diego International Triathlon

Started by ladavidson
Views: 1003 Posts: 5

2005-06-30 9:10 PM lifeisgood

San Jose International Triathlon

Started by kirby
Views: 1142 Posts: 5

2005-07-07 8:06 PM Bisucas

San Vicente Triathlon

Started by joker70
Views: 663 Posts: 1

2005-06-14 11:29 PM joker70

San Jose International Triathlon

Started by scvb13
Views: 1065 Posts: 2

2004-06-15 3:30 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : September 3, 2004
comments : 0
Sao Paulo triathletes last Thursday could not have asked for better guidance in balancing their rigorous training and work schedules.