General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first winter tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-29 4:20 PM

User image

Subject: first winter tri
Hello BT,

I signed up for a sprint tri (5k run, 18mile bike, indoor 400m swim) on Saturday. (see forecast)

My attire:
short sleeves tri suit
Under armor cold gear top (long sleeves)
Cold gear Jacket
Nike bike pants
Ninja Mask

Question:
Which layer should I take off for the swim? Have you swam with bike pants and long sleeves tops?

This is my first winter tri (3rd sprint tri) ( I get cold easily as I grew up overseas in tropical climate. I'm 50 yrs old).

Suggestions welcome

(forecast.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
forecast.jpg (15KB - 8 downloads)

2016-11-29 8:12 PM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: first winter tri
Is the race in the order you gave (i.e. run/bike/swim) or is it the standard swim/bike/run?

Don't swim in anything but your tri suit. I can't imagine trying to swim in pants and a top.

I've done the standard s/b/r tri at 42F (also cloudy and rainy) - the run is fine, it's the bike that can get cold, though if you aren't getting on the bike wet from the swim it will certainly help. I'd strongly recommend gloves for the bike.

2016-11-29 8:59 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

Is the race in the order you gave (i.e. run/bike/swim) or is it the standard swim/bike/run?

Yes, the order is run/bike/swim
2016-11-30 10:37 AM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
In that case, you'll be plenty warmed up from the run and nice to not have to get on the bike wet.

Personally I'd just do the whole thing in just my tri suit, with gloves on the bike, but I'm from a colder climate than you. Realistically you should be fine starting in your tri suit with the long sleeve top on for the run. Up to you whether you start with gloves on or put them on in T1 (depends on if you can transition to the bike wearing gloves). You should be real warm after the 5k run and shouldn't need the jacket for the bike, but if it's windy/rainy you can put that on too. I'd be inclined to skip the pants altogether. Getting pants off in T2 seems like a hassle - but if you really are sensitive to the cold, start the race in the pants too and go back down to just the tri suit in T2. If you're racing the run/bike in tops/pants, you don't really need a tri suit - you could have on a swimsuit under those.
2016-11-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thank you for suggestions. I'm planning on practicing transitions as this is my first time to take off layers of clothing before swimming.

My goal for this race is to finish and get a race shirt LOL.

My motivation for this race is to loose weight because I gained 15 lbs from vacation and holidays. Thankfully, I lost all 15 lbs since I started training. After this race, I will continue training for another sprint tri in February as I don't want to gain unwanted pounds

Edited by Phebes 2016-11-30 12:47 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first winter tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie's first winter/first tri

Started by joshmod
Views: 1008 Posts: 6

2014-12-15 3:10 PM simpsonbo

First tri, First Post, First batch of questions :)

Started by Chris(NJ)
Views: 1417 Posts: 11

2011-07-29 8:41 AM japarker24

First winter run of the year

Started by axteraa
Views: 648 Posts: 5

2009-12-12 5:58 PM bfoyle

First Winter

Started by lbrindle
Views: 875 Posts: 17

2005-09-02 12:10 AM AdventureBear

First Olympic TRI (First TRI Period!!!!)

Started by satchmo72
Views: 1302 Posts: 12

2004-09-08 12:30 AM Tori
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 2
How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.