United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Camarillo the day before the race and picked up the race packet. My hotel was near a large retail outlet shopping center so we went there to pick up some gifts for family. Not knowing just how big the shopping center was, we parked at one end and figured we could walk to the store we wanted to shop at. Turns out the center spanned 3 parking lots and the store we wanted was on the exact opposite side so we got a quite a good walk in (about 2 miles round trip) and called it excercise for the day.

After the shopping adventure was complete it was time for my usual pre-race sushi dinner. Fortunately there was one very close to the hotel with good reviews. After dinner we called it an early night.
Event warmup:

Drove over to the event start area nice and early to get a decent parking spot and have time to warm up. The sun was not quite up and the temperature was a brisk 38* so I stayed in my car for a few minutes. As the sun came up it warmed up a bit despite gusty winds. As more runners showed up I ran into a friend who was running the 5k. She was excited to see me as my pictures from races (especially the finisher medals) helped inspire her to start running and earlier this year she finished her first half-marathon! The start time neared so I ran a bit to warm up my legs then gathered at the start line.
Run
  • 2h 07m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

When I signed up for this event I didn't realize it was a "2 lap" course as I tend to not enjoy running laps. I was committed due to it being part of a series I had been running all year and this was a "medal" race where the end-of year medals were handed out. The start of the run left the parking lot of the sports field and connected to the creek side bike/run trail and turned upstream. The terrain was mostly flat with a gently incline until reaching the first turn-around at around 2.5 miles.

Heading back downstream I picked up a little speed with the gentle decline of elevation. After 3 miles the course turned around again to head back upstream towards the park with the start/finish line. The gusty wind could not make up it's mind what direction it was coming from: sometimes head on, other times a tail wind, moments of calm, and blasts from the side. Completing the first lap at the start/finish line I was feeling pretty good and set out to do it all over again.

The second lap was much like the first, albeit a bit slower as my legs tired. As I finished the course and the finish line came into view I kicked in and finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

Solid run, could have pushed harder if I wanted a faster time.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched my legs and walked around to cool down. Collected my finisher and series medals to finish off a long year of running.

Event comments:

Fun little race to finish off the year. Downside is the course being two laps.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-12-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:30 | 13.1 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1488925011
Course: Two laps on a bike/run trail following a creek bed.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-12-19 4:33 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Holly Jolly Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Holly Jolly Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon)

Started by prof40
Views: 1302 Posts: 1

2012-04-22 6:29 PM prof40

Island 2 Island Half Marathon (formerly MD Half Marathon)

Started by asgate99
Views: 1607 Posts: 1

2011-05-01 3:57 PM asgate99

Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon)

Started by willrunforchocolate
Views: 1644 Posts: 2

2011-04-16 5:36 PM linfieldpt

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3057 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2205 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.