General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forward seatpost compatibility Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-20 4:13 AM

Subject: Forward seatpost compatibility
Dear all,

I use a regular roadbike for triathlons and am looking to get a forward seatpost to improve my aero position, but read somewhere that forward seatposts may not be compatible with all saddles. What should I pay attention to? I can't seem to find any relevant information in the technical specs.

Specifically, I was thinking about combining the following seatpost and saddle:
http://www.profile-design.com/product/seatposts/fast-forward-alloy/
https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/max-flite-gel-flow/

Thanks!

2016-12-20 6:29 AM
in reply to: RemcoD

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Forward seatpost compatibility
That combination won't be a problem. The compatibility issue is with saddles with oval rails, mostly carbon rails.

Despite that, I still recommend that you do not get a forward seat post... a road bike is designed with a rearward weight distribution, moving your weight forward will disturb the balance of the bike. Rather than adjusting you to the bike, adjust the bike to you, get ITU "shortie" clip on's which allows you to ride as the bike was designed, but with aero bars.
2016-12-20 8:03 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Thanks for the input.

I can still move my aerobars a bit more to the rear, but when I do that, I cannot rest my arms comfortably on the pads. Maybe I'll look for an option where the pads are also located a bit more to the rear. My stem is already 80mm, I don't think I should go with anything shorter there, right?
2016-12-21 6:26 AM
in reply to: RemcoD

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
No, don't adjust the bike to fit your aero bars, get aero bars that allows you to ride your bike exactly the way you have it now. There's plenty of options out there of ITU style bars
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forward seatpost compatibility Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

0 Degree Seatpost vs. Forward Seatpost

Started by kilgoretrout
Views: 3665 Posts: 7

2012-05-05 3:40 PM Six000MileYear

Forward Saddle Position - inverting the seatpost

Started by tasr
Views: 909 Posts: 7

2008-04-16 12:21 PM tasr

Forward Seatposts

Started by mnewton
Views: 1104 Posts: 12

2005-02-05 2:53 PM Colin

Profile Design Forward Seatpost

Started by roadpro
Views: 1036 Posts: 3

2005-01-04 2:55 PM GasMunky

Profile Design Forward Seatpost

Started by roadpro
Views: 988 Posts: 2

2005-01-01 2:20 PM iTRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : January 1, 2008
author : YourYoga
The focus for this second session are the Sun Salutations that are comprised of 12 poses that flow from one to another, repeated four times.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?