General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planning my first season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-20 4:29 PM

Subject: Planning my first season
I have decided to jump into the "TRi-World" this summer and I have a question about planning my season. I have been working on building a base of conditioning the last few months and after the first of the year I am going to start transitioning to focused training towards my first races. So my question is "how many races is too many?"

Right now I am thinking of doing a sprint in June as an introduction to the sport and to try and familiarize myself with the transitions, etc. I was then thinking of entering a "intermediate"length race in July and another one in August. If, after that I still feel ambitious I was considering running in my first 1/2 marathon in September (although I have never really wanted to run that far!)

Is this too much for my first summer?

Thanks in advance!

2016-12-20 5:18 PM
in reply to: #5207855

User image

Subject: RE: Planning my first season
I don't think it is too much racing, the better question is jumping up from Sprint to Intermediate (also know as Olympic distance). All of the distances are double in an Olympic, so the question becomes: how strong of a swimmer are you? 1500m is just shy of a mile. That is a big jump. Running and biking double the distance, in my opinion, is just about putting in the miles during training. If you are not a confident, comfortable swimmer, a lot can go wrong.

I think planning your first 13.1 at the end of your season is great. I usually do one at the beginning and the end of my season to assess my progress. I would say doing a Sprint in June and July, and then see how you are coming along and perhaps do an Olympic in August/September if your swim training has come along.

Good luck.
2016-12-20 5:35 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
There is no rush and no right answer so I will share my experience.

My first summer, I stuck with Sprints as frankly the thought of training the distance to be able to string all 3 things together, was a huge mental hurdle for me. I also was training 2 swims/2bikes/2 runs which at the time seemed like I a ton of time.

I did 4 sprints the first year. The second season is when I targeted an Olympic distance. The lack of the unknown due to Jeff B's comments about double the distance was a concern when I first started out.

I am glad that I followed this approach as it gave me confidence in knowing what I can and can't do. This helped me focus my training effort for the 2nd year. I recall looking at a training plan that said I should ride for 2 hours at the peak and was like, no way.

I am a slow learner compared to some. Took me 4 seasons to tackle a HIM, 7 seasons to finally tackle a Full. There is plenty of time to jump up distances.

Good luck
2016-12-20 7:37 PM
in reply to: Troop4415

User image

I would take a different tack. What appeals to you?

I did a HIM as my first race cause I am long distance guy. To date I have never done anything shorter than a HIM. I am not saying that is for everyone, but for me it was what I felt motivated to do. I may do an Olympic near my house this summer since my focus in 2017 is more on hitting my standing marathon PR.

There are some people that only want to finish a full IM as their first (and maybe only). That is their dream. No interest in anything else.

I guess, dream about what gets your motivation going and put in the correct training to accomplish it.
2016-12-20 7:41 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
In my first season I did two triathlon, then it kind of exploded from there. It really depends on a variety of factors including how hard you treat each race. If you treat every race as a training day you can do a lot more than if you raced at your limit. Here is a list of every race I have done, broken up by year. You can see I did a lot of races per year after year 1 of triathlon.

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/p/race-results.html
2016-12-26 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Originally posted by Troop4415

I have decided to jump into the "TRi-World" this summer and I have a question about planning my season. I have been working on building a base of conditioning the last few months and after the first of the year I am going to start transitioning to focused training towards my first races. So my question is "how many races is too many?"

Right now I am thinking of doing a sprint in June as an introduction to the sport and to try and familiarize myself with the transitions, etc. I was then thinking of entering a "intermediate"length race in July and another one in August. If, after that I still feel ambitious I was considering running in my first 1/2 marathon in September (although I have never really wanted to run that far!)

Thanks in advance!

Don't think that's too much at all to get started. Enjoy it, have fun and welcome to the wonderful life that is triathlon!!!

2016-12-29 7:45 PM

Thanks for the reply! I am a little worried about the distance but I think if I start training now I should be able to do it....... It will be a challenge!

2016-12-29 7:46 PM
in reply to: Mc Q

Thanks for the reply! I am aiming for your "rule #1" !
2016-12-31 7:42 AM

Originally posted by Troop4415

Thanks in advance!

No sense putting in all that work to do just one race And as you said, they don't have to all be triathlons. Usually, I'll run 3-4 run races in the spring and another 4-5 in the fall, filling the summer months out with triathlons, usually two per month. After your first race, just play it by ear and have fun with it.
2017-01-23 6:25 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

Thanks for the advice!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planning my first season Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training

Started by richwampler
Views: 1510 Posts: 2

2010-10-01 10:04 AM JohnnyKay

First full season - how should I plan?

Started by JGFTri
Views: 797 Posts: 8

2004-11-15 8:37 PM La Rakusillian

Planning a seasons trainning with Triathletes trainning bible - Problem

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1088 Posts: 6

2004-10-01 8:47 PM owie

Plan for off-season fitness?

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 578 Posts: 2

2004-08-25 7:45 PM joeinco

Planning the 2005 Season

Started by Motivated
Views: 720 Posts: 7

2004-08-03 2:15 PM dhlundblad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2016
author : CPesson
comments : 0
Triathlete credits BeginnerTriathlete with keeping him on track

date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.
date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.

date : October 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Three new 'focused' swim, bike & run 8-week winter maintenance plans to offer improvement on your limiters. There will be workouts focused on technique and some focused on volume, speed, & strength.
date : October 30, 2005
author : Ron
Different ways to use and combine the detailed performance member training plans for a complete, annual season. You will be pleasantly surprised by your results on these plans.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.