BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-02-09 2:50 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Super Bowl Time!

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by soccermom15

I'm feeling a bit frustrated today.  We had a great day yesterday weather-wise so I tried to take advantage of it and stopped at the park for a run after work.  It's not often we get 60*F weather in February (and it's snowing today ).  Anyway, about 1/4 mile into the run - intense pain in my right foot, on the outside just below my ankle.  I had stepped on a rock that was hidden by leaves on my run on Sunday and twisted it a little but it seemed to be OK.  Trying to run on it yesterday was a no-go though.  It's still a little sore today.  And I'm supposed to be running a 5k on Saturday that I was really looking forward to.  I'll hit the trainer for some easy rides the rest of the week and see how things feel on Saturday.  It may end up being a 5k walk instead of run.  

Janet

Hey Janet,

R.I.C.E - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate

You have some time so I would start with that.  Next thing you might consider is taping.  Here's a video showing how to apply kinesiology tape for ankle stability/strains.  I've had very good experiences with kinesiology tape, both personally and for athletes I have worked with.

http://www.kttape.com/instructions/ankle-stability/

Hope that helps.

Scott - thank you!  I've been wondering if something like KT tape would help but didn't know how to go about doing it.  I'll watch the video tonight.  One question - once you start using the tape, do you continue to use it all the time or just until the problem area feels better?  

Janet

2017-02-09 2:58 PM
in reply to: kszelei

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Do you have a plan?

Originally posted by kszelei Hi everyone, I completed an Ironman in January! That is to say, I swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran 26.2 miles total for the month. I didn't realize it at the time, but this was a good training plan for me. It gave me a basic framework while allowing some flexibility in what I did each day. I'm repeating this plan in February, with some changes. I'm increasing the running a bit, but will stick with the swim and cycle distances for now. Happy training! Kathy

Kathy - congrats!  My tri club does something similar every winter.  It's called the "Icy Iron" and we have 6 weeks to complete either 1x or 2x the Ironman distance in swimming, biking, and running.  There's usually a small prize for anyone who completes the distances - last year was a water bottle and an ice scraper.  It's a good way to keep motivated during the winter months.  Good luck with February!

Janet

2017-02-09 11:48 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Kathy - congrats!  My tri club does something similar every winter.  It's called the "Icy Iron" and we have 6 weeks to complete either 1x or 2x the Ironman distance in swimming, biking, and running.  There's usually a small prize for anyone who completes the distances - last year was a water bottle and an ice scraper.  It's a good way to keep motivated during the winter months.  Good luck with February!

Janet

An "Icy Iron" is a neat idea.  I'd like to participate in something like that locally if they had it.  I think it would be a great way to motivate people.

Kathy - Another congrats on your accomplishment.  Do you think you might try for a 2X Ironman distance sometime?

2017-02-11 3:25 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I'm feeling a bit frustrated today.  We had a great day yesterday weather-wise so I tried to take advantage of it and stopped at the park for a run after work.  It's not often we get 60*F weather in February (and it's snowing today ).  Anyway, about 1/4 mile into the run - intense pain in my right foot, on the outside just below my ankle.  I had stepped on a rock that was hidden by leaves on my run on Sunday and twisted it a little but it seemed to be OK.  Trying to run on it yesterday was a no-go though.  It's still a little sore today.  And I'm supposed to be running a 5k on Saturday that I was really looking forward to.  I'll hit the trainer for some easy rides the rest of the week and see how things feel on Saturday.  It may end up being a 5k walk instead of run.  

Janet

Hey Janet,

R.I.C.E - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate

You have some time so I would start with that.  Next thing you might consider is taping.  Here's a video showing how to apply kinesiology tape for ankle stability/strains.  I've had very good experiences with kinesiology tape, both personally and for athletes I have worked with.

http://www.kttape.com/instructions/ankle-stability/

Hope that helps.

Scott - thank you!  I've been wondering if something like KT tape would help but didn't know how to go about doing it.  I'll watch the video tonight.  One question - once you start using the tape, do you continue to use it all the time or just until the problem area feels better?  

Janet

Janet,

I've just used it for as long as the "need" was there.  I know of some people that use taping to strengthen joints or avoid strain, etc.  That would obviously be a personal choice - perhaps in conjunction with a medical professional.

2017-02-12 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Janet

Janet - How is the foot ? Did you run the 5k?

2017-02-13 10:18 AM
in reply to: kszelei

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by kszelei Hi everyone, I completed an Ironman in January! That is to say, I swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran 26.2 miles total for the month. I didn't realize it at the time, but this was a good training plan for me. It gave me a basic framework while allowing some flexibility in what I did each day. I'm repeating this plan in February, with some changes. I'm increasing the running a bit, but will stick with the swim and cycle distances for now. Happy training! Kathy

Originally posted by adbru Well done kathy. Just need to do it all in the one day now ;-) Adrian

I am somewhere in the middle of Kathy's IM in a month and Adrian's IM in a day.  I like the IM in a week plan. :-)

2017-02-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

I liked the idea of an IM so I checked my logs. My cycling is way down as I have not worried yet about that discipline. I was able to get a little over the IM distance in January so I haven't forgotten about is completely. I was able to easily get swim distance and run distance for the month. So it it encouraging to have that goal under the belt. Perhaps I can update the cycling a little to get a 2x in February Good job everyone else on their IM workouts..
2017-02-13 11:12 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by triosaurus

Janet

Janet - How is the foot ? Did you run the 5k?

The foot is feeling a lot better and yes, I did run the 5k.  I don't know if it was the time off or the fact that I wrapped the ankle/foot for the race but it didn't bother me at all.  It did start to tighten up a little after I got home, but no issues during the race.  Our weather this past week was nuts - warm and 60* on Tuesday, snow on Wednesday, then back up to 74* on Saturday (new record for the date).  I ran in shorts and a T-shirt for my race.  Finished in 33:22 which is pretty good for me, 13th of 39 in my AG.  

2017-02-13 1:42 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
I hope it’s not too late to join.

Just wanted to give you some background as I do not consider myself an athlete. I am 55 years old, 6’5” and 201 pounds. My “A” races this year will be Madison 70.3, Racine 70.3 and IM Madison.

Prior to January 2012, I might have run a mile, biked 5 miles, and swam 100 yards total in those 50 years. I did sit at a computer for 10-20 hours a day, and that was probably the most strenuous thing I did.

After January 2012, all that changed. My bucket list turned into my short term to-do list as I was diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer and given months to live. In an amazing term of events (and an extremely long story), I ended up at Mayo clinic on February 5th (3 days after being diagnosed) and they performed a 16 hour surgery where the cut out half my jaw and rebuilt it with my fibula.

The dream of doing something like an Ironman actually started in the hospital bed down at the Mayo Clinic after that first cancer surgery. Laying there realizing that I was being given an extension to my life and thinking of all the miracles that had to happen to get me there, I came to the conclusion that I had never done anything really “epic” to be remembered by. It was very sad and depressing realizing that when my kids and grandkids were 80, they could not tell about how epic their father/grandpa was, and I resolved that I would do something epic in the time that I was given. I envisioned my kids and grandson saying, you know my dad/grandpa did ______ even after he was diagnosed with cancer.

The problem was finding something epic to do and filling in the blank. Yes, I did research what it would take to climb Mt. Everest, but crossed that off pretty quick (actually my wife vetoed that one). Once I decided to take up cycling, I thought it would be epic to ride a century. I did that solo on July 2, 2012 (less than 6 months after being diagnosed with cancer) and although it was tough, after the fact I realized that it was not exactly epic. So the next year, I biked almost 3,000 miles and did 8 centuries (longest being 140 miles with a 19.6 mph average), thinking that would be epic – but it wasn’t.

After the biking season was over, my wife and I joined the gym, and I started to ride the stationary bike. After a couple months of that, I realized that there is nothing more boring than riding a stationary bike at the gym indoors, so I figured I would take up running. That probably wasn’t the greatest idea I ever had since I had probably run a total of 2 miles my whole life, and the last time running more than 50 yards was probably 40 years ago, but I did it anyway. After 2 months, I was finally up to being able to run a half mile (albeit at a 14 min/mile) and got stress fractures in my leg, which stopped me from running for many weeks. Worried that would I re-think the whole running thing, I did something that most sane people would probably NOT do - I signed up for a marathon and a half marathon. Yup, I signed up for a marathon before I could even run a full mile– not recommended, but it did get me working out as soon as I got out of my cast.

Not only did signing up to run 26.2 miles motivate me to train like a madman, I started thinking that running a marathon just might be that epic thing I was looking for. Marathon weekend was amazing. Running the Twin Cities marathon was one of the most physically and mentally demanding thing I’ve ever done (going through cancer and actually training to run a marathon were the only two things that I can think of that were harder). Crossing the finishing line was something that I will never forget, and when asked if I would do it again, my immediate answer was no way. But even though it was very close, it was not that epic thing that I am looking for.

Although I have a hard time making long term plans, 2 days after the Marathon I started searching for another race– hopefully that epic thing that I need to find and do before I die. The race I picked as Ironman Maryland. When I told my wife, she (thankfully) thought I should start with something smaller, so I signed up for Racine 70.3 also. I ended up with 2 flats at Racine so I missed my goal of a sub 6 hours for my first ½ (though if you factor in the time spent changing flats I was under 6 hours). If you remember, IMMD 2015 was canceled 3 days before the race due to hurricanes. Since they did not know when or if it would be rescheduled, I spent the 2 weeks between the cancelation and the rescheduled race eating and drinking and not even thinking about swimming, running, or biking so when I actually went did IMMD I was uber-tapered. I also had equipment failure about 3 miles into the bike (one shoe cleat would note stay clipped in) which slowed down my bike significantly.

Last year I took off from triathlons for the most part (I did do Door county half Ironman as a C race) and focused on qualifying for Boston.

So as you can tell, I have a lot of work to do so I guess I better stop typing and getting working out. Luckily I have my unbelievable support from my whole family as every day that I train, they see not a guy training for a race, but their dad/grandpa/husband fighting to live another day.

BTW: here is a link to the press conference (my 20 seconds of fame) I gave at the TC marathon (unfortunately it was not because I won it

http://roads.runnerspace.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=90&do=videos&vi...

Sorry for being a bit winded, let me know if you want to hear the long version (just kidding)

Greg

2017-02-13 4:44 PM
in reply to: #5207873

User image

Regular
Some story greg.

Respect and good health to you :-)

Adrian
2017-02-13 5:02 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Hi all ... I think I'm done with skiing for the season, unless it's a day trip local to home.  It snowed 2 feet at the resort between the day I left and next 2 days ... timing is everything.  But I must say when I got home I was absolutely wasted.  My last week, I skied with some of the locals there who were my age, but went absolutely non-stop all day except to break for lunch.  It was fun, but man I was tired!

Got back in the gym today and picked up with Marc's week 2, Threshold training.  Based on my HR data, it truly was threshold training.  I worked in a bit of strength training afterwards and some time on the BOSU ball for balance.

My plans are cycling Mon-Wed-Fri ... swim/run Tuesday and Thursday using the Maffetone method.

Janet ... hope your foot is better.

Chet ... on your question re: rollers.  I had rollers and they were like fire and ice.  I must say, training on these really improved my balance and bike handling.  I had to keep my body very quiet on these as you can go down like lightning.  Speaking of that ... after my second crash on these, I decided they were not for me.  Definitely the trainer is the safer option. 

Hope all have a good week.

Ciao - Dorm

2017-02-14 12:03 AM
in reply to: theGreg

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greg - Glad to meet you Best of luck with your goals for this year.

Janet - Congrats! Glad to hear your foot is ok.

Dorm - Sounds like you had lots of fun skiing .. good to hear that you did not get injured!

Regarding rollers ... About 25 years ago I had a set, and while it was kinda fun to learn how to ride on them, there is a steep learning curve. IMHO, getting trainer would be a better idea.

2017-02-14 11:35 AM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

I do have a plan, but I have some problems.

I am guessing I am way overtraining. Although I have not been sick or injured this year, and 90% of the time my legs are not even tired the next day, but my totals for January were

20.74 mile swimming (which was way up from 5.62 miles in December)
1,167 mile biking (which was up from 922 miles in December)
112 miles running (which was way down from the 156 miles run in December)
For a total of 1,188 miles

I have tried to cut down on my running and increase my swim and bike. I typically run 6 days a week (5 x 6 miles and 1 long run (currently 14 miles). 3 of the 6 mile runs supposed to be easy ( I really need to run them slower) and then I do 1 day of intervals (either 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile intervals) and 1 day of tempo run. I almost always run over lunch..

I swim 4-6 times per week (once with a masters group) and do anywhere from 2,500 to 4,300 yards. I swim right after work.

For the bike I am doing Trainer Road High Volume Sweet Spot. These are definitely the hardest workouts that I do. It is 6 days a week with only 1 easy day.

I know I am doing to much since I still have 28 weeks to IMWI, but I love working out. It makes me forget alot of things for at least part of the day so I am not sure what I can cut out at this point.

My only weakness is my run, my bike, and my swim. I am pretty good a T2.

Looking back at 2015 (my first IM and I had a coach) any one of my weeks this past January were about equal to my whole month of January in 2015
2017-02-14 6:50 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I swam today and called it quits after 800 meters.  Almost no mojo and towards the end my form was so bad that I just got out.  Bad swimming is absolutely worse than no swimming.  I did concentrate on flip turns and they were the bright spot for today's swim.  They're getting easier to do quicker; I know my "spot" at the "T" where I initiate the turn and overall they worked pretty well for me today.

I ran 40 minutes on the treadmill after the swim using the Maffetone method.  I ran at about 10bpm higher (~80%ftp) than my last run with no issues. This method works so well for me ... I have almost no joint soreness after running and I could have easily stretched today's workout into an hour.  

Speaking of this ... if I increase my time ~10% a week, and run within the HR boundary - this seems a reasonable method to increase my time.  Any thoughts from the group?

First race of the season is March 11 for me so I'm working to be ready.

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-02-14 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Dorm57

I swam today and called it quits after 800 meters.  Almost no mojo and towards the end my form was so bad that I just got out.  Bad swimming is absolutely worse than no swimming.  I did concentrate on flip turns and they were the bright spot for today's swim.  They're getting easier to do quicker; I know my "spot" at the "T" where I initiate the turn and overall they worked pretty well for me today.

I ran 40 minutes on the treadmill after the swim using the Maffetone method.  I ran at about 10bpm higher (~80%ftp) than my last run with no issues. This method works so well for me ... I have almost no joint soreness after running and I could have easily stretched today's workout into an hour.  

Speaking of this ... if I increase my time ~10% a week, and run within the HR boundary - this seems a reasonable method to increase my time.  Any thoughts from the group?

Ciao ... Dorm

Dorm - I just skimmed through your first post in the group, and iirc, you are coming off a bout of PF, have a few pounds to drop, and do not have an extensive run background. Taking this into account, I would preach caution in your build up of accumulated running distance - Especially given the group's common background of being 'mature' athletes... We tend to need even more time to recover than young newbies

As for the suitability of you following the 10% guideline, I will defer to others' wisdom, but I just don't want to see you take your frustration from the pool and beat yourself up on the road where injury is more likely .... Been there n done that

Now, I will crawl off the soapbox... and make plans to get my butt to the pool this week

kelly

2017-02-14 11:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All, I'm afraid I've been out of action for a while and probably won't get going again until after this weekend.  I'm thinking maybe I was working out too hard and just reached a point where my body said, "no more".  Trouble is this was to be my easy week.  

Janet - Good you were able to run your 5K and a nice time as well.

Greg - Welcome to the group and, you've got a great story with a great outcome.  I enjoyed your video.  It was neat to actually see you and have a face to go with your posts but, I have to ask, Did you finish with your daughter?  By the way she handled herself very well in answering her questions.  

I would say from your story, you have already achieved that something special you have been searching for.  Everything else from now on is bonus.  Anyone who can go from couch potato to a sub 6 hour HIM in such a short time is pretty amazing.  Stay healthy and have fun.

Dorm - Just speculating on what you asked about increasing time each week.  I would think that yes you would achieve some improvement but I think you would find any improvements would tend to come in periodic spurts with plateaus in-between.  As for having a bad swim day, I find I have a bad day every once in a while.  A day where I just can't seem to get warmed up or I just seem slow.  Fortunately, they pass and I have more good days than bad by a long shot.

2017-02-15 4:42 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by theGreg

I hope it’s not too late to join. 

Hey Greg,

Welcome to the group.  It's never too late to join!  I don't close the group so everyone is welcome at any time!

Just wanted to give you some background as I do not consider myself an athlete. I am 55 years old, 6’5” and 201 pounds.

My bucket list turned into my short term to-do list as I was diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer and given months to live. In an amazing term of events (and an extremely long story), I ended up at Mayo clinic on February 5th (3 days after being diagnosed) and they performed a 16 hour surgery where the cut out half my jaw and rebuilt it with my fibula. The dream of doing something like an Ironman actually started in the hospital bed down at the Mayo Clinic after that first cancer surgery. Laying there realizing that I was being given an extension to my life and thinking of all the miracles that had to happen to get me there, I came to the conclusion that I had never done anything really “epic” to be remembered by.

It occurs to me that what you have been through is EPIC.  An Ironman will be a piece of cake!

Sorry for being a bit winded, let me know if you want to hear the long version (just kidding) Greg

Oh gosh!  Now there's two of us that are long winded!  Well, if nothing else, folks will have lots to read!  Happy to answer any questions you might have.  Looking forward to getting to know you!

2017-02-15 6:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I do have a plan, but I have some problems.

I am guessing I am way overtraining. Although I have not been sick or injured this year, and 90% of the time my legs are not even tired the next day, but my totals for January were

• 20.74 mile swimming (which was way up from 5.62 miles in December)
  • 1,167 mile biking (which was up from 922 miles in December)
  • 112 miles running (which was way down from the 156 miles run in December)

For a total of 1,188 miles

I have tried to cut down on my running and increase my swim and bike. I typically run 6 days a week (5 x 6 miles and 1 long run (currently 14 miles). 3 of the 6 mile runs supposed to be easy ( I really need to run them slower) and then I do 1 day of intervals (either 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile intervals) and 1 day of tempo run. I almost always run over lunch..

I swim 4-6 times per week (once with a masters group) and do anywhere from 2,500 to 4,300 yards. I swim right after work.

For the bike I am doing Trainer Road High Volume Sweet Spot. These are definitely the hardest workouts that I do. It is 6 days a week with only 1 easy day.

I know I am doing to much since I still have 28 weeks to IMWI, but I love working out. It makes me forget alot of things for at least part of the day so I am not sure what I can cut out at this point.

My only weakness is my run, my bike, and my swim. I am pretty good a T2.

Looking back at 2015 (my first IM and I had a coach) any one of my weeks this past January were about equal to my whole month of January in 2015

Greg,

First, to "over training."  There are three generally accepted stages of "Over-Training Syndrome (OTS)" - Stage 1 - functional overreaching; stage 2 - non-functional overreaching; stage 3 - over-training syndrome.  I doubt seriously that you are approaching even stage one functional over-reaching which is the lowest level of OTS.  So don't confuse having high training volume with "over-training."  Those terms are not synonymous.

What I see when I look at the training volumes you had in January is a training plan that currently has a bike focus.  I encourage most people to do a focused bike block during the off-season - especially those people planning to do a 140.6 or 70.3 in the upcoming season.  Indeed, three of the athletes I am currently working with are in the midst of, or just completed, a 12-week focused cycling block..  

I like to see a minimum of 30-35 miles/week run volume so you are inline there.  How that volume is done (Z2 runs vs. tempo runs, vs. speed work, etc.) is another conversation entirely.

To put your swimming into perspective.  when I was swimming competitively I was swimming 13-15,000 meters/day for about 100,000 meters/week.  Obviously you aren't a swimmer so that volume would be crazy high.  For a triathlete I generally advocate building to 1.5-2.0 times the race distance swim 3-4 times per week for a strong middle of the pack finish.  For an Ironman that means building to 6,300-8.400 yards 3-4 times per week.  I like to see that volume for at least 6-weeks prior to the beginning of the taper/peak.  Do you absolutely have to do that kind of volume?  NO.  However, the important thing during the swim is to stay aerobic in the water.  You need to do at least enough volume so that you can stay aerobic during the swim stage of the race.

If you are going to sabotage an Ironman race, it will most likely occur on the bike.  People constantly worry about the run.  The run is merely a reflection of how well you paced/rode the bike.  You CAN'T have a good run unless you have a good bike.  Conversely, if your run was bad, it's because your bike was bad - PERIOD.  That means the bike is VERY important.  You're doing TR HV Sweet-Spot which is 9-10 hours/week.  For a 140.6 plan, that is going to be fairly representative of the bike volume you will be doing for a good chunk of the season (no, you won't be doing the sweet spot base plan all season).  Of course volume will fluctuate up and down, but later in the season when you're doing 100+ mile rides, you'll regularly be doing that kind of volume.

GENERALLY speaking, you should strive to have your training volume (duration) around a 1:2:1 ratio - swim:bike:run.  So, using what you are currently doing as an example, you are doing 10 hours/week on the bike, you should anticipate around 5 hours swimming and running.  That works out to 20 hours/week training.  That volume is NOT sustainable for most age-group triathletes so typically the plan builds over the season to that volume.  You might be the exception, I don't know as I don't know YOU and how you respond to training stress.  Remember, this is an example in general terms.  You're currently in the middle of a focused cycling block so the ratio is not going to directly apply while you are doing that.  Weekly training volume will fluctuate up and down through the course of the season. 

As important, I actually believe MORE important, is to allow proper recovery time.  It is NOT during training that we get stronger and faster.  It is during recovery.  It's during recovery that your body rebuilds itself.  If you have a well thought out, effective training plan that has sufficient, properly timed recovery, your body will achieve "super-compensation" and you will get stronger.  Most people should have a recovery week built in to the training plan every 3rd or 4th week.

If you aren't already using Training Peaks, I STRONGLY encourage you to set up an account and upgrade it to a premium account.  I think it's $19.99 per month if you pay it monthly and you can get it down to $10/month if you pay it annually.  TP allows you to quantify all of the workouts you do and make informed decisions about  how your body is adapting to training stress.  Something else to remember.  As your fitness improves, your body will be able to tolerate increasing levels of training stress.  As your fitness level increases, it will take increasing levels of training stress to continue to raise fitness.  Training Peaks allows you to objectively see that, not simply "guess."

It is VERY important that you have a plan - whether that plan is one of the plans available here on BT (there are a number of free 140.6 plans), you purchase a plan, or you retain a coach - HAVE A PLAN.  Having a plan assures you will have a balanced approach to your training.  It takes "YOU" out of the training equation - instead of getting up in the morning and saying, "What should I do today,"  a question whose answer will be influenced by how you feel on that particular day; you would get up and simply do your scheduled workout.  Having a plan will also insure that you have a sustainable, healthy build over the course of the season that will allow you to taper at the proper time to allow peak performance on race day.

That's a couple of random thoughts.  I don't think you have a "problem" with your training so much as you might want to think it out while looking at the "big picture."  Big picture meaning the entire season.  Look at where you are now and where you want to get.  Your training plan should connect those dots.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Edited by k9car363 2017-02-15 6:53 AM
2017-02-15 6:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dorm57

. . . I ran 40 minutes on the treadmill after the swim using the Maffetone method.  I ran at about 10bpm higher (~80%ftp) than my last run with no issues. This method works so well for me ... I have almost no joint soreness after running and I could have easily stretched today's workout into an hour.  

Ciao ... Dorm

Dorm,

The Maffetone method is based on the heart rate range you determine using Dr. Maffetone's formula - https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

Your training HR while using the Maffetone method DOESN'T CHANGE.  I read what you said to mean you allowed your HR to go 10 BPM above your Maffetone range which would not be following the Maffetone method.

Maffetone is a tremendous method to increase volume as well as build aerobic base.  Remember as you build volume, as you indicated, the 10% rule should be your guide.  I generally like to see two-weeks between "steps" but I tend to be conservative in my build.  It is important to be regularly doing the MAF test (every 6-8 weeks).  When you see your MAF pace plateau, that is the indication that you need to add tempo/speed work to your plan.

Edited by k9car363 2017-02-15 6:39 AM
2017-02-15 6:45 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Hi All, I'm afraid I've been out of action for a while and probably won't get going again until after this weekend.  I'm thinking maybe I was working out too hard and just reached a point where my body said, "no more".  Trouble is this was to be my easy week.  

George,

I'm curious what has happened and why you think your body said, "No more!"

2017-02-15 1:19 PM

User image

Scott,
Thanks for the reply.

Can you clarify your swim volume recommendation? Are you saying it would be good to work up to swimming 6,300 - 8,400 yards each of the 3-4 days? Are these straight swims – no drills, rest periods etc? That works out to a minimum of 18,900 yards per week and a max of 33,600 yards. That’s about 10 hours a week (for me). Using your 1:2:1 ratio, which means 20 hours on the bike and 10 hours running which totals 40 hours per week - yikes.

BTW: I am on training peaks and do have the premium account, though I am not sure I am using it to the fullest. I look at the TSS of my individual workouts, the weekly TSS of the bike and the total weekly TSS. I also look at run CTL and bike CTL. Not sure what my goal CTL should be on race day or what my peak should be. I pretty much training for my first Ironman (and only one) to finish, but now I want to do much better on my second one.

Last week my total TSS was 1,392.9. On Sunday, my run CTL was 67.5 (which was up 4.7 from the previous Monday), and my bike CTL was 54.1 (which was up 0.3 from Monday). If I am understanding this correctly, at this point in the year I really should have my bike CTL much higher than my run CTL. I have cut off 1 mile off my easy days running this week and trying to really slow down on those easy runs but I don’t think I can increase my biking at this point and in two weeks when I do my next FTP test, hopefully it will increase which means my TSS will actually go down even through the effort will go up.

I do run 6 days a week and am finding that is working really well. Monday, Wednesday, Friday are “easy” days. Up to this week they were each 6 miles at around 9:02 average – I should probably be running these closer to 10 min/miles. Tuesday I do intervals (typically 1 mile warm up and 5 miles of either ¼ mile fast (with 1/4 mile recovery) or ½ mile. Last year, I got injured multiple times doing intervals so I am definitely conservative (I max out at around 7:30 pace). Thursdays are tempo days (1 mile warmup and then 5 miles at 8:30 – 8:45) and Saturdays are my LSD (currently 14 miles @ 9:30) – I’ve been told that I should probably be doing these closer to 10:30.

Any chance you can give a beginners intro to what we should be focusing on in Training Peaks both daily and weekly?

There are a couple things I really have a hard time doing - rest weeks are almost impossible and taking a day off is even harder. When I take a day off running (for example last Sunday) that run on Monday is really hard. I also have a problem going to the pool with a purpose. I always have a bike workout planned when getting on the bike, and always have a run workout planned when I run. But I only go to the pool with a distance in mind and sometimes I just end up doing a straight swim the whole distance, which as I understand it is not an effective use of pool time. But swimming workouts are completely different than biking and running and they just confuses me.

In 2 weeks I was planning on switching over the trainer road high volume full ironman training for the bike workouts, keeping my current run schedule, and swimming 4-5 days a week.

16 weeks until Madison 70.3
21 weeks until Racine
29 weeks until IM Madison

Thanks
Greg

2017-02-15 7:09 PM

User image

Hmmm. Minutes after my last post I went for a 5 mile easy run. Although I wanted to slow down my easy days, it kinda slowed itself down. Got the run in but it was extremely hard and the last mile was a 10:00 mile. I didn't think much of it then and thought that it was just going to difficult to force myself to slow down. Tonight I got on the bike to do 3x20 minute @85-93% FTP and after 45 seconds I knew there was no way I was going to make it more than another minute or so. My wife reminded my that I barely slept at all in the past 2 days and I am sure that effected me.

I am guessing that it is time for a rest day, but I am wondering. Since I did get a run in today albeit a slow, short run, can I resume 24 hours are that run or should just take the whole day off tomorrow?
2017-02-16 12:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I'm curious what has happened and why you think your body said, "No more!"

A bad choice of words.  I was feeling tired and was looking forward to my recovery week this week but my body decided I needed a better rest and I got sick.  I wasn't meaning to imply anything more permanent.  I'm going to go swimming tomorrow morning and ease myself back into my routine.  I don't think I'm anywhere near an overtraining syndrome.  I love my recovery days and weeks too much.

2017-02-16 6:18 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Hi All,

Did a new longest ride on Monday, 41miles in just over 3 hours.
I only took water with me and was completely spent by the end.
But now I may be able to recognise the signs/feelings of fueling.
I'll now start adding fuel on my longer sessions , previously I used gels/banana's and PBJ on wholemeal bread for long cycles which seemed to work well for me.

took Tues/Wed as rest days and just been out for a short session (8.7miles), in the middle was a 'hill' which I failed to conquer on three previous attempts - however I made it today without getting out of the saddle so feeling happy !

I'm currently 224miles cycling for the year, lots more to do before my event in April....

train safe guys

Adbru

2017-02-16 7:02 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hmmm. Minutes after my last post I went for a 5 mile easy run. Although I wanted to slow down my easy days, it kinda slowed itself down. Got the run in but it was extremely hard and the last mile was a 10:00 mile. I didn't think much of it then and thought that it was just going to difficult to force myself to slow down. Tonight I got on the bike to do 3x20 minute @85-93% FTP and after 45 seconds I knew there was no way I was going to make it more than another minute or so. My wife reminded my that I barely slept at all in the past 2 days and I am sure that effected me.

I am guessing that it is time for a rest day, but I am wondering. Since I did get a run in today albeit a slow, short run, can I resume 24 hours are that run or should just take the whole day off tomorrow?

Greg,

I was pondering a response to you asking for clarification in your earlier post when this current post came in.

You said you are using Training Peaks - What is your TSB?  CTL?  ATL?  I'm curious about those numbers for all sports, meaning inclusive of all three, not separate values.

Your comments the past couple of days combined with what you said here leads me to believe you are in need of a couple of days off.  More in a little bit when I respond to your earlier post.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.