BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-04-13 8:49 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: DANG!

Originally posted by wenceslasz

I'm just about to go outside and get my bike and gear ready for an Easter "camp".  Four days of riding plus two runs and a swim (and 2 yoga sessions).  I did it last year and it wasn't too intense.  More fun and some social.

That sounds fun.  Never thought about a camp over Easter weekend.  The yoga is what puts it over the top!

2017-04-14 8:40 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weekend Plans?

I just looked at the calendar.  I misspoke earlier.  My HIM is three weeks from tomorrow.  Long ride tomorrow.  Our granddaughters heard something about the Easter Bunny leaving eggs at our house so I'm pretty sure we'll have little ones here Sunday.  Gonna try and get a long run in early.

How about everyone else?  What do you have going this weekend?

2017-04-15 3:45 AM
in reply to: #5207873

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Hi guys,
Hope you all have a great easter.
Scott, all the best for your upcoming race - follow your own advice and listen to your body, slow down and damn the time if you need to!
I got my long ride in last week, 51 miles.
Now on taper madness for next Sunday!
Did a couple of hilly 15 mile loops this week with a planned 30 miles over part of the course tomorrow.

My last place was in my (only) HIM in 2010, I went at close to my planned pace - everyone else was just faster lol.

Adbru
2017-04-15 10:37 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Weekend Plans?
Will have most of the kids and grandkids over today for some festivities. Then visit with all the aunts, uncles, and cousins tomorrow.
Had a decent week. Did a Corporate Challenge time trial of 3 miles and ended up 3rd in my age group
This morning was a bike/run brick for a sprint simulation. Really has wiped out my kegs but look to be on schedule for my first sprint race in a month. Weather is warming up which makes me want to get on the bike even more now.

Happy Easter everyone.
David
2017-04-17 9:12 AM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by noldowney Will have most of the kids and grandkids over today for some festivities. Then visit with all the aunts, uncles, and cousins tomorrow. Had a decent week. Did a Corporate Challenge time trial of 3 miles and ended up 3rd in my age group This morning was a bike/run brick for a sprint simulation. Really has wiped out my kegs but look to be on schedule for my first sprint race in a month. Weather is warming up which makes me want to get on the bike even more now. Happy Easter everyone. David

I went out for my first outdoor ride of the year on Saturday morning - group ride with the tri club.  It felt good to be back outside but the wind was brutal, especially on the ride back - 10-15mph, with 20+ gusts.  The route is through farmland, so at this time of the year there are very few windbreaks.  Tough, but good practice.  The rest of the group went the whole 31 miles, I turned off early and just did a short 16.  

Congrats on your AG award!

Hope everyone had a good Easter!
Janet

2017-04-17 9:21 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by k9car363

I just looked at the calendar.  I misspoke earlier.  My HIM is three weeks from tomorrow.  Long ride tomorrow.  Our granddaughters heard something about the Easter Bunny leaving eggs at our house so I'm pretty sure we'll have little ones here Sunday.  Gonna try and get a long run in early.

How about everyone else?  What do you have going this weekend?

I took advantage of Friday and Saturday with no commitment on my time to anyone but myself to focus on reaching my Triathlon goals for the week.  I set goals at the beginning of the week and at the end of the week if it is a good week I have done about 85% of what I wanted to do and if it is a bad week I might be at 60%.  This week I hit 100% of my training goals. If I can do that for another 3-4 weeks I will be in good shape for my race on June 3rd.  

This morning we had thunder storms and flash floods so I moved my morning workout to the evening.  Today is an hour of running with intervals (this is a easy fun day for me). I can't do intervals indoors so I am hoping the forecast that says that chances of rain drop from 80% to 30% after 3:00 PM means that I can get my outdoor run in.  If not I will go indoors and do the run with out intervals. I can't get 100% every week but always try.  :-

2017-04-17 10:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Can I join your group?

My name is Tom. I am 57 years old, married with 1 son and 3 step children. I started triathlon in 2010 completing 14 events and DNFing 1 event which was the Louisville Ironman (finished the swim and bike but finished 1 minute 23 seconds too late to start the run) August of 2012. I have finished 3 Half Ironman events (Sarycuse New York, Muncie Indiana and Augusta GA).

In 2013 my wife developed Breast Cancer having had Hodgkins Lymphoma previously. I had to put triathlon aside until she was better.
She had several surgeries in 2013 and 2014 and is now cancer-free.

I began training again in 2014 but medical issues (Knee surgery, Cervical Spine Surgery, Elbow surgery, 2 spine blocks and 2 gel shots in knee) did not allow participating in 2014, 2015 and 2016. I am now healthy again and have unfinished business in Louisville. I am going to do 1 half in Ohio in July, then shoot for Louisville in October.

I can relate to all the issues we face at this age having had 8 knee surgeries, 2 hernia surgeries, 1 cervical spine surgery, I elbow surgery, 6 knee Gel shots, 2 spine blocks and some other small crap.

This group sounds like it would be great for me.

Let me know if you have any openings.

Thanks
Tom

Edited by Tkimble01 2017-04-17 10:29 AM
2017-04-18 1:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Scott - Glad to hear that you are doing well, and have an upcoming race! I trust that the kids were adequately treated by the Bunny

I had a good wkend of training - 2 2500m swims, 10 and 14km runs, a 1-hr and a 3-hr rides

George - hope the Easter camp training went well.

David - congrats on the 3rd AG !

Janet and Curtis - nice job on getting out there. I rode outdoors this weekend for the 1st time this year ... Sometime over the winter, someone put HILLS and WIND out there

Tom - welcome to the group.. Wow, you have had some challenges - glad to hear that everything is working out for the best. Lookout Louisville

kelly
2017-04-18 6:05 AM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by adbru

My last place was in my (only) HIM in 2010, I went at close to my planned pace - everyone else was just faster lol.

Adbru

Hey Adrian,

This is kind of for everybody.

If you completed the race at what you had planned to do, then you had a good race.  One of the hardest things we do as athletes is to put the blinders on and ignore what's going on around us as so much of what is happening around us, you have absolutely no control over - such as who shows up at the race.

Imagine this - you enter a 200m butterfly event in a local charity swim meet.  Your best time is 3:27.6.  You line up on the blocks, look over, and in the lane next to you is Michael Phelps (200m butterfly world record holder) - who is also there supporting the charity.  The gun sounds, and you swim a 3:10.1 while Michael swims a 1:53.9.  Did you have a good race or a bad race?  On the one hand, you got blown away, on the other hand, you had a personal record by over 17-seconds.  I submit that would have been a great day.  You far exceeded what you had done previously.

As you said, "everyone else was just faster."  Back when I was swimming, the ONLY time "finishing place" mattered was in the biggest events - National Championships, Olympics, etc.  Every other event the only thing that mattered was my time - not against everyone else's time, but against me and my previous times.  

When you get to the "pointy end" and are competing for a podium finish, maybe a Kona spot, then your finish against the field matters.  Until then, as a triathlete we are all competing against ourselves, which at the end of the day may be the most challenging competition.

2017-04-18 6:11 AM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by noldowney

Did a Corporate Challenge time trial of 3 miles and ended up 3rd in my age group

David

David,

Congrats!  3rd place!  Woo-hoo!

2017-04-18 6:23 AM
in reply to: Tkimble01

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Tkimble01

Can I join your group?

My name is Tom. I am 57 years old, married with 1 son and 3 step children. I started triathlon in 2010 completing 14 events and DNFing 1 event which was the Louisville Ironman (finished the swim and bike but finished 1 minute 23 seconds too late to start the run) August of 2012. I have finished 3 Half Ironman events (Sarycuse New York, Muncie Indiana and Augusta GA).

In 2013 my wife developed Breast Cancer having had Hodgkins Lymphoma previously. I had to put triathlon aside until she was better. She had several surgeries in 2013 and 2014 and is now cancer-free.

I began training again in 2014 but medical issues (Knee surgery, Cervical Spine Surgery, Elbow surgery, 2 spine blocks and 2 gel shots in knee) did not allow participating in 2014, 2015 and 2016. I am now healthy again and have unfinished business in Louisville. I am going to do 1 half in Ohio in July, then shoot for Louisville in October.

I can relate to all the issues we face at this age having had 8 knee surgeries, 2 hernia surgeries, 1 cervical spine surgery, I elbow surgery, 6 knee Gel shots, 2 spine blocks and some other small crap.

This group sounds like it would be great for me.

Let me know if you have any openings.

Thanks Tom

Tom,

Welcome to the group!

First, so glad to hear your wife is cancer free.  That's what's important, as if I need to say that.

With all that you have been through, I suspect if I look up perseverance in the dictionary I will see your picture.  With an IM as your goal, that perseverance will serve you well!

70.3 in July and 140.6 in October is ambitious.  Would love to chat about where you are and how you plan to get where you are going.

Happy to have you in the group, you will be able to give all of us a lesson in how to tenaciously pursue our goals and not give up in the face of adversity!

2017-04-18 6:31 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus

Scott - Glad to hear that you are doing well, and have an upcoming race! I trust that the kids were adequately treated by the Bunny

kelly

Yep!  We did what Grandparents are suppose to do - we sugared up the grand-kids with Easter candy.

Then said, "Oh gosh, look at the time, gotta go!"  

2017-04-18 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Tom - Welcome to the group!  The race in July - is it the IM70.3 in Delaware?  I did that race last year (it was my first HIM), loved it!  I thought it was a great course, although it was a little windy on some sections of the bike.  I'd like to go back and do it again in the next couple of years.  

Janet

2017-04-18 2:20 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Anyone doing IMTX this weekend? I will be volunteering, handing out gear bags at T1. Say hi as you rush through!
2017-04-18 11:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Tom - Welcome to the group - glad to hear your wife is well and that you've overcome more than your fair share of troubles.

Kelly - The camp was very tiring but also very enjoyable.  People came from all over the lower mainland, Victoria and Calgary.  I even met a mother/ daughter couple that are signed up for the June Cultus Lake sprint.  I hope the water isn't too cold for them.

Scott - Your message to everyone was very timely.  My whole weekend was like the 200m butterfly.  I was dead last in everything this weekend yet I felt really good when I considered the positives I could see in each Bike, Run and swim.  I learned a lot and achieved some personal bests.  In two bike rides I achieved two climbing goals and when separated from my cycling group I actually caught up to a much faster group from our camp and struggled hard to keep up with them in the last 13+ km back into town.  I was incredibly exhausted by the finish but thrilled with how it all happened.  I also had a couple fair runs as well and much to my surprise I even enjoyed the yoga sessions.

Then this morning at the pool I had a pretty decent swim and at the last few minutes we swam a 100m TT.  I was tired from the camp and now the swim we had just finished so I thought I'd just do my best and not worry about the time and enjoy the swim.  While swimming I didn't feel like I was swimming any faster than normal but once I hit my garmin button I was shocked to see my time was 2:00.  I think it is my fastest 100m to date.  Of course I now wish I had pushed a bit harder.

Kszelei - I too enjoy volunteering.  I always feel I get so energized by the athletes and I hope I give it back in spades.  I volunteer for several races every year.  Have fun at IMTX.

2017-04-21 3:28 AM

User image

Regular
Hi All,

Tom, welcome- you have given me instant inspiration (see below) :-)

Scott, I raced my plan during my HIM- however as it was a 'new' event it attracted lots of people far better than me.
2 years later my time would have put me around 70% back in the field rather than 100% back ! lol

Last ride done yesterday before sundays event, just a gentle 9 miles to spin the legs.
But now I have got the cold :-( up all night coughing last night, feel like everything is at half speed.
But after reading Toms intro I think a cold is a minor problem .... ;-)

Have a great weekend everyone, I'll report back on Monday !

Adbru

2017-04-21 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Abru - have fun this weekend!  Can't wait to hear all about it.

I am also volunteering at a race this weekend - a local sprint/super sprint.  First race of the season in my area.  Luckily the weather looks good for Sunday.  I'm going to take my bike along and get in a ride after the race.  Anyone else have plans for the weekend?

Janet

2017-04-21 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by adbru

Adbru

Hey Adrian,

This is kind of for everybody.

If you completed the race at what you had planned to do, then you had a good race.  One of the hardest things we do as athletes is to put the blinders on and ignore what's going on around us as so much of what is happening around us, you have absolutely no control over - such as who shows up at the race.

...  Until then, as a triathlete we are all competing against ourselves, which at the end of the day may be the most challenging competition.

First off - Adrian, have a great ride and take in every pedal stroke, sound, smell, and drop of sweat with a smile on your face!

Scott ... Amen to this.  Did it hurt my feelings that a 70yo blew by me on the run leg of my last race ... sure.  Could I have done better for the race - no way.  I'm definitely competing against myself and participating for my self.  I talked recently with a friend re: why he'd not participated in a tri.  His response was he was extremely competitive and if he could not finish top of his AG - he'd rather skip doing the race.  That's just sad to rob one's self the joy of participating because of a vain goal.  

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-04-21 12:49 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

One question ... what's a good nutrition - good tasting protein powder out there (I like vanilla flavored)?  Most all I've used tasted like monkey butt - so I thought I'd ask.

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-04-22 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Adbru

Have a great ride!

2017-04-23 12:15 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I hope Adbru is having a good ride today.  With the time difference he might already be finished.

2017-04-23 12:24 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by Dorm57

One question ... what's a good nutrition - good tasting protein powder out there (I like vanilla flavored)?  Most all I've used tasted like monkey butt - so I thought I'd ask.

Ciao ... Dorm

Dorm - are you looking for a product to use for nutrition on a ride or more of a post workout recovery product?  I like Hammer Recoverite mixed with milk (2 scoops plus 1 or 2 cups of milk).  It has carbs and protein so not a pure protein powder.  I mix it up before I do my workout and then have it ready to drink immediately after I finish.

2017-04-24 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

George ... it's more as a dietary supplement.  During the day I'll sometimes make a smoothie to reach my protein goal (macros) and pretty much tolerate the taste of the protein pows out there.  So again, I'm looking for one which has good nutrition along with taste, esp vanilla.

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-04-24 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

So here's a tip for you guys.  If you ever want a good glute workout, volunteer for body-marking at a race.  An hour of ups and downs to mark people's calves is a great substitute for squats - I'm feeling it this morning.  It was a great day for a race (although it was apparently pretty windy out on the bike course) and I got in a good bike ride with a friend afterwards.  All in all, not a bad Sunday.  

Janet

2017-04-24 11:20 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
Etape Loch Ness 2017
https://www.etapelochness.com/
The course starts in Inverness and uses closed roads (no traffic!) along the north shore of Loch Ness down to Fort Augustus.
Then the route hits 'the hill', The hill at Glen Doe is approx 5 miles with an ascent of nearly 400m. (15%)
Then follows the south shore back to Inverness to complete the 66 mile loop.

I was talked into doing this back in Nov16 having not done any proper training since my HIM in 2010.
Training was 'sporadic' as I learned that I really don't like the trainer!

Due to a dose of CBA I didn't training at all for 4 weeks in Feb, not good....

Got to race week and felt a cold starting, by Wednesday I had a really sore throat and a tickly cough :-(

Also on the registration day (Saturday) I had to get my training partner to collect my race pack as I was sitting in a rally car in the forests of NE Scotland with an early start (5am).

Race Day:
After around 5 hours of sleep the alarm went of at 4:30 am, up and changed into race kit then had my porridge.
Left the house at 5am to meet my buddy and drive through to Inverness to be ready for a 6:35 start.
Arrived at start location and got bikes etc ready, then headed towards the holding pens.

5200 cyclists in the morning sun was certainly a sight to see!
We were in wave 'D' which was the last to go.
My pre-race targets were:
1/ finish!
2/ sub 5:30
3/ sub 5 hours would be wonderful lol

Riders sent off in groups of approx 250 every couple of minutes.
Bit congested at first as people find their pace.
Temp was around 5'c, overcast but dry, headwind started to pick up along the loch but the first 5 miles or so were fairly calm.
Legs were heavy and set off a little quick as the adrenaline flowed :-)

I have a small mirror on my bike which was a godsend for such a busy route, I could easily see if someone was coming up on my outside before I pulled out to pass.
At lochEnd the headwind started to pickup but not to bad.
Good run down to Drumnadrochit before the climb at Urquhart Castle, I'm still rubbish at hills and the effects of the cough meant my legs were heavy on the hills.
Constantly getting passed by the racing snakes on bling bikes but i didnt care :-)

Came across a bad accident on a fast downhill twisty section, medics in attendance- found out today that one rider was airlifted to Aberdeen 200 miles away, hope he recovers - my thoughts are with him and his family.

Got to the turn at Fort Augustus and crossed the Caledonian Canal, round the head of the loch and arrived at the bottom of the big hill.
I knew I didn't have the legs to do the climb so my plan had always been to take a pair of trainers with me.
I stopped at the bottom of the hill to change shoes, then I walked the bike up the first two parts of the hill.
Some may say 'shame on you for not trying', however I 'm a believer in 'Plan your race then race your plan' so I don't care if people think I wimped out.
For comparison I sent a steady but brisk pace and I passed around 50 people on the ascent who were walking with their cleated shoes, I also passed 2 people who were pedalling.
My buddy cycled up the hill and only took 7 minutes out of me!
The climb ends at a fantastic viewpoint and it was great to be welcomed by a lone piper playing his heart out :-)

Then a fast section (35mph on the downhills) to the feedstation, quick topup of water bottles and some food then off again.
Fast twistys down by foyers then the undulating road along the loch, looking across at the places we passed through earlier.
One kicker of a hill at the end of the loch (Dores), then the reasonably quick run into the finish in the city centre.

Time given was 5:12.
Got off the bike and met my wife then home for a long hot shower :-)
My buddy came round in the evening and we partook of the recommended recovery drink..... Guinness :-)

If any of you guys ever fancy a ride with stunning scenery and the only chance to do it without any traffic then come over for Etape Loch Ness.
Very well organised, well marshalled, fantastic scenery.

Will I do it again? possibly not - looking to get back into tri instead :-)

Thanks for the support on here, if I put an entry in this week for my event I'll be looking for lots more support !!

Thanks again and stay safe

Adrian
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.