BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-04-24 7:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weekend Plans?

Originally posted by kszelei Anyone doing IMTX this weekend? I will be volunteering, handing out gear bags at T1. Say hi as you rush through!

Kathy,

How'd you enjoy the race?

And thank you for volunteering!  The races simply wouldn't happen without the volunteers!

Edited by k9car363 2017-04-24 7:11 PM

2017-04-24 7:15 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Originally posted by Dorm57

One question ... what's a good nutrition - good tasting protein powder out there (I like vanilla flavored)?  Most all I've used tasted like monkey butt - so I thought I'd ask.

Ciao ... Dorm

Dorm,

I am a big fan of Infinit Performance Nutrition - for the record I am in no way affiliated with them.

https://www.infinitnutrition.us/

They have prepackaged blends and you can also create your own specific to your nutrition needs.  Definitely worth a couple minutes to check out their website.

Edited by k9car363 2017-04-24 7:16 PM
2017-04-24 7:28 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Adrian,

Great race report!

You hit your target!

Hope the people involved in the accident are OK. 

No shame in walking up the hill.  Like you said, plan your race and race your plan.  It often seems like one of the hardest things for many age-group triathletes to understand is that you have to have a plan and you have to stick to your plan.  You have already learned that!

Sounds like it was a spectacular race and you certainly earned your post race recovery drink!

Thanks for sharing.

2017-04-24 11:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Great race report Adbru and congrats on your 5:12 finish.  I had a look at the website and it looks pretty interesting until I saw that it is nearly 1700m of climbing.

I think any time you can walk up faster than you can ride up a hill then walking is a positive option.

Edited by wenceslasz 2017-04-24 11:51 PM
2017-04-25 5:57 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz

...I think any time you can walk up faster than you can ride up a hill then walking is a positive option.

I did the Ironman St George 70.3 last year.  I felt like I was going easy on the bike but I was probably under trained I probably did a terrible job on refueling too.  40 miles into the bike ride I started to slow down.  At about mile 45 their is a 6 mile up hill accent.  I tried my best to pace myself but got to the point that I physically couldn't get a one more crank of the pedals.  I was standing up and all my weight just wan't enough to go forwards any further.  I got off and was going to walk to the top of the hill by my legs cramped up so all I could do was fold onto the bike and stand there.  I took the opportunity to get a cliff bar and some fluid.  I stretch until I could walk with  out cramping.  Yep ,walking was a positive option that day.  :-

2017-04-25 11:04 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Curtis - That must have been a heck of a hill.  Do you know how steep the hill was?  Also, how did your run go that day?

All - I'm feeling guilty because I missed an easy 1:30 bike ride today to do some chores at home.  I just couldn't leave them any longer.

2017-04-26 5:43 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Here is the link to the bike course map.   

looks like mile mile 37 has an elevation of about 2,800' asl and that mile 47 is about 4,000' asl. So over 10 miles you climb 1,200 feet.  It is the steepest from about mile 44 to mile 47 where half of that elevation comes from.  Where I had problems was about a half mile from the peak at mile 47.

The good thing is that it was all down hill from mile 47 to the T2 so I had plenty of time to stretch out my legs and recover before the run.  The run was pretty ugly but was no slower than my previous 70.3 run time. 

2017-04-26 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Thanks Curtis, the elevation map tells an interesting story and that hill looks as tough as you make it sound.  I was particularly curious about the St. George 70.3 because I used to train with a fellow from St. George and he talked about how tough it was and how hot it could be.

2017-04-30 12:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Hey everyone,

Congratulations to Adrian on a successful road race! I cannot imagine seeing over 5000 cyclists all ready to go

Scott - Is your race next week, or 2 weeks from now? I hope you are doing well with training, and feeling great!

We had a rainy day, but I got out there for my long run. I did my first run/walk today, running 2km, then walking 30 seconds. It seemed to be very effective, and I will def have to be doing this for IM in July. Today was 17 km, so a long way to go
I registered this eve, so I am in it now

Is anyone racing this weekend? Best wishes to all!

kelly

2017-04-30 8:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Thanks Curtis, the elevation map tells an interesting story and that hill looks as tough as you make it sound.  I was particularly curious about the St. George 70.3 because I used to train with a fellow from St. George and he talked about how tough it was and how hot it could be.

George,

I can second St. George being a challenging course.  I've been there when the temperature's are triple digits.  Add in the significant hills and it makes for a tough day.

2017-04-30 10:38 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Triple Digits at St. George. Yikes!  We do get heat like that here at times when we are out riding on asphalt on particularly hot days.  My St. George friend did say it was hot.

Kelly - Which IM did you sign up for?  I have the Cherry Blossom Sprint in Kelowna next Sunday so I have a very easy week this week.  I haven't looked to see if Quigley is registered for the CB but I'm planning to look for him and at least say Hi.

2017-05-01 12:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
George - I signed up for IM Canada in Whistler - Yikes
Was out for a ride this afternoon ... 3 1/2 hours. Next week is a recovery week on the BT beginner IM plan.

I think Dustin is running his marathon pretty soon in his bid to BQ...

Hope all is well in the Okanagan

Scott - how goes the prep for your HIM? Feeling healthy, I hope!

kelly
2017-05-01 2:52 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Regular
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the good wishes, recovery almost complete I think!
went out for a 25 mile ride yesterday with a brutal headwind on the way back :-(
Legs were very heavy...

Kelly- best of luck for IM Canada !
Scott - HIM soon?

Triple digit heat.... I wear factor 50 in a scottish summer so remind me never to go near the St George event!

As I managed to get round the cycle last week and in need of another 'goal' for this year I have taken (leave of my senses) the plunge and entered a HIM in September.

I am from Fort William on the West Coast and it was the location for my previous HIM, they have changed the course a bit and made the run a bit 'lumpy'.
http://www.bravehearttri.com/

I plan to follow the BT HIM so now it starts
2017-05-01 8:15 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by adbru

Scott - HIM soon? 

As I managed to get round the cycle last week and in need of another 'goal' for this year I have taken (leave of my senses) the plunge and entered a HIM in September. I am from Fort William on the West Coast and it was the location for my previous HIM, they have changed the course a bit and made the run a bit 'lumpy'. http://www.bravehearttri.com/I plan to follow the BT HIM so now it starts

The Indy-Mini Half Marathon is this coming Saturday.  My wife and I are in the process of relocating back to Southern Indiana.  We had planned to be back there by the middle of April so a May 6th race seemed like the perfect "Welcome Home."  Sadly, one of my IT clients, actually my BEST IT client decided late last year to move to a larger office.  I'd made the comment early in the process we were planning to leave So Cal around the first week of April.  No problem!  Except there was construction delay after construction delay.  Long story short, the move finally took place this past weekend.  Sadly, while all that was going on, my wife's knee took a sudden turn for the worse.  We have known for some time that she was going to need a knee replacement.  The plan was to do that once we got back to Indiana as several of my relatives have had similar surgery and all used and speak highly of the same doctor.  Alas, my wife is now bone on bone and the doctors say it needs to be done NOW.  So we are faced with a 4-5 month delay between the classes the orthopedic surgeon requires her to take, building the new knee, surgery and recovery.  I'm trying very hard to justify the nearly $1,000 cost for airline and hotel to do a race that I'm not fully prepared for.  Every time I open my email inbox the knife gets twisted in my side as it seems I have another email - packet pick-up, expo information, Meb's autograph sessions (Meb Keflezighi - Boston and NY Marathon winner).  I still have a couple days but at this point I am leaning strongly towards a DNS.

Adrian I believe we can say you have been well and truly bitten by the triathlon bug!

2017-05-01 8:28 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus 

I did my first run/walk today, running 2km, then walking 30 seconds. It seemed to be very effective, and I will def have to be doing this for IM in July. Today was 17 km, so a long way to go I registered this eve, so I am in it now  

Kelly,

I have EVERY athlete I work with use a run/walk strategy during their 140.6.  More than once there has been some resistance until I point out that Sebastian Kienle won the Ironman World Championship in 2014 using a run/walk strategy - he walked every aid station - and ran a 2:54.37 marathon.

That is the ration I recommend, walk from the first table in every aid station for 30-seconds.  It gives you the opportunity to get everything you need at the aid station.  It breaks the run into 26 manageable sections and it gives you something to look forward to as you negotiate with your body late in the race to continue on.

2017-05-01 11:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Kelly - I did think it was likely Whistler that you signed up for.  They do a really good job with it.  I really enjoyed the run route - lots of shade along the way.

We've had a few good days so far but not many.  Our temps are still pretty cool.  I'm hoping we'll get some warm weather soon.  A friend is heading to Vancouver for the Marathon on Sunday and she's worried it will be wet.

Speaking of which, I found out today that 3 ladies I swim with are heading to St. George for the 70.3.  I'll talk to them tomorrow morning (if they haven't already left for the race).  I had a look at the St. George website and it does look like beautiful country but no shade at all if it is a hot day.

Scott - I hope your wife is at least not in too much pain and I hope she recovers quickly.  

2017-05-01 11:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Adrian - Your Braveheart Tri looks challenging.  Or, at least I am intimidated by the run route.  A lot of climbing and "lumpy" as you say.  I imagine you have to be careful on the run.  The write up on the swim makes it sound like the water is cold.  Any idea what the water temp might be on race day?  Have fun with your training.

2017-05-02 4:55 AM

User image

Regular
Hi George,

Water temp is likely to be around 12-13'c (~54'f) brrr
2017-05-03 3:54 PM

User image

Regular
First swim in a looong time.
Only 400m but its a start

Also got my garmin working with the HRM strap so will read back on all the heart rate info on these pages.

First observation was my resting heart rate sits around 54, during the swim it felt like my heart was trying to come out my chest so I put my finger on my neck to check my pulse - 112?
Do these seem a bit low? I am 51.....

Will try and read back tomorrow

Adrian
2017-05-04 11:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Adrian - 12/13 C was about what I thought.  That is not a nice temp at all.  Our local lakes are about that temp right now and showing no signs of warming up.  No one is swimming outside yet and we're all hoping we'll be able to get in the lake by mid June.  

Your resting HR is not too bad at 54 and as you get better endurance your HR should get even better.  I haven't checked mine in a while but last time I did check it was 52 and I'm 67 this year.  When swimming our HR rises fairly quickly but as soon as we stop swimming (and especially if we stand up at the wall) our HR drops very quickly back to normal.  So, it is possible your HR discrepancy is not so much a problem.

It is possible that you are swimming too fast.  Slow down your pace by your own control or swim behind a more experienced swimmer to get the feel of keeping pace with your oxygen intake.  When I am swimming at a steady pace I can work on my bilateral breathing but if I want to swim a sprint I need to take in more O2 so I abandon bilateral and breath every other stroke on the same side (this may be the wrong thing to do but it is what I do).  

I'm not an expert on swimming and anything Scott says certainly supersedes my modest advice.

2017-05-06 3:24 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran

Scott - Sorry to hear of the struggles you have been going through, especially your wife's knee... I hope that she gets the procedure done soon, and fully recovers. As for the race, I assume that you are going with the DNS. There will always be other events, right ?

My mom ( in her late 70s is currently on a wait-list for a knee replacement surgery .... LOOOOONG waits in our govt-run healthcare system are a bone of contention in the current election campaign!

re: the run/walk - YES, I absolutely will go with this plan. It just .... works

George - Good luck in the Cherry Blossom tri! Dustin will be running his marathon tomorrow in a bid for a BQ.

Good luck to all in any races or training sessions this weekend.

kelly

2017-05-07 3:23 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I am part of a community running program that requires a commitment to running a 5K on their list of races at a minimum of every 6 months.  My last race for the program was in January and I won't be able to make it to another race until July so I ran a race in a town an hour from me yesterday in place of my long bike ride.  :-)

I didn't have a really hard training week so I was ready to race on Saturday.  There were kilometer markers on the coarse (some just do mile markers) which helped a lot with pacing off of splits.  All my splits were with in 15 seconds of each other and I finished 4 seconds under my goal time for the race. 

I had won the race by a sizable margin and broke the course record by about 25 seconds, but I was only the course record holder for about 5 minutes.  A younger guy who had got to the race late asked the officials if he could still run even though he missed the start.  They told him absolutely and got a faster chip time than be by 20 seconds.   Yep...you can't control who shows up at a race.

Next week is the Cape Cod Ragnar Relay.  I will being about 20 miles for that even then my Triathlon two weeks after that. 

Is the "hay in the barn yet?"  I just want to train light and race hard for the next three weeks.  :-

2017-05-08 11:22 AM

User image

Regular
Hey Curtis,

Well done on your (temporary) race win ! and good luck for your tri in 2 weeks.

I went to the gym today (my bike is broke-see later...) to do my max heart rate test.
managed first 8 mins at 6.5mph but was struggling so dropped to 5.5mph (11min/m) -which will likely be where my pace will end up- for the last 12 mins.

averaged at 168 and peaked at 185 so I guess 168 will be my 100% figure for now.

So to the story of my broken bike.....
Saturday was planned as a long ride-a local community charity event of a 20 mile out and back (40 in total) on a very quiet road.
My buddy has a 85mile etape in 2 weeks so this was really a training ride for him.

I tucked in about a wheels length behind him and 4 miles in disaster struck.
He spotted a pothole at the last minute and avoided it, too late for me !
I hit it hard enough to blow the tubes in both wheels, both feet came out of the cleats, I ended up with my gentleman parts on the handlebars (at 20 mph).

I am also a motorcyclist and instinct told me to hit the front brake, but my brain was screaming "No ! all the weight is over the front wheel- touch the brake and your over the front!!"
Managed to get my feet down and like Bambi on ice veered to the right hand verge, running out of soft grass and about to be thrown onto the tarmac I decided to 'tuck and roll', went for the grass and came down on my right shoulder.
Shoulder was sore yesterday, slight graze on my right cheekbone but all ok.

Changed the tubes, then found the gear shifter for the rear derailer was fubar - stuck in the lowest gear.
what to do.... limp back to the start - or do the next 36 miles with only the front chainset gears working, it was the hardest outdoor spin session I've ever done !!
I could only pedal up to 17mph due to the gearing so it took a long time to finish, but we got there.

Bike is now in the shop, hope to have it back by the weekend- bill is likely to be at least 200gbp (250 usd?)
Thats if the wheels are not buckled as well

Its all good fun in Tri-Land lol !!

Stay safe folks!
2017-05-08 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by adbru Hi George, Water temp is likely to be around 12-13'c (~54'f) brrr

That is cold water!  I don't know how people do it.  I did my first OWS of the year on Saturday and the water temp was 61*F.  I had a hard time putting my face in the water (not to mention chilly hands and feet) - not sure I could do it at 54*F.

Scott - sorry to hear about your wife.  I hope the surgery goes well and she's feeling better soon.  

First tri of the season coming up this Saturday - Olympic distance.  I've done the sprint distance at this race a couple of times so pretty much know what I'm in for.  There is one hill on the bike course that concerns me a bit (it's not part of the sprint course so I haven't ridden it yet).  It's supposed to be fairly short but "a bit of a grinder" according to the race director.  I'm going to check it out when I get over there on Friday night.  Weather should be good too - slight chance of rain but decent temps.  Looking forward to getting the season started!

Janet

2017-05-08 12:53 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by adbru Hey Curtis, Well done on your (temporary) race win ! 

Thanks - I haven't seen much competition since I moved seven years ago from Tulsa, OK to a small town of 5,000 people 50 miles west of Austin, TX (an then to a tow in Oklahoma with 18,000 five years after that).  I was used to getting beat pretty bad by guys 10-20 years older than me and being now where near h finishing in the 10th-20th places  over all when I lived in Tulsa.  Now I pray that someone fast will show up to the race to make things interesting.  As is the only interesting thing is perfecting my splits and trying to beat my time from the last race.    

Originally posted by adbru 

....I went to the gym today... to do my max heart rate test. ... averaged at 168 and peaked at 185 so I guess 168 will be my 100% figure for now. 

I average 172 BPM on my run tests.  I never got used to the HR zones for run training though.  I just use splits for my interval training.  :-)

Good luck with the bike.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-05-08 12:54 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.